North Cyprus Tourist Board - Free Beaches near Alsancak
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Free Beaches near Alsancak

Free Beaches near Alsancak

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Forum Threads on North Cyprus Beaches

» Read about North Cyprus Beaches

» List of Beaches near Kyrenia North Cyprus

» List of Beaches near Famagusta North Cyprus

jonkay

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 13:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Can anyone please tell me if there are any free beaches near Alsancak i.e you do not have to pay an entrance fee!! Thanks for your help. Jon

batgirl

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

All beaches are free its the facilities that you can be charged for

jonkay

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Thanks for your reply. What I mean free to use the facilities, and do not have to pay an entrance fee.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 13:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

jonkay. As far as I am aware, there are no "free" beaches in the area, i.e. those that allow you to use facilities free of charge. The prices vary, as do the standard of facilities available.

If you do find one, please let us all know

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 14:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Mare Monte beach is free as is Alsancak beach

Jeannie

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

lovingcyprus - when you say "Alsancak" beach, which one are you referring to please?

Thanks.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 14:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Legally, access to Beaches in TRNC is free.

If you are refused entrance, call the police - this has been proved to work, for instance when the Mercure Hotel tried to charge for access to the beach.

As for facilities, if you wish to use anything other than the sea, sand, fresh air and sunshine, then you can expect to pay the poor soul who went to the trouble and expense of providing it - and apart from 'Belediye' beaches such as the one at Kervanseray, that would include toilets!

I may be wrong, but I think that the one exception to the above could be the beach at the Celebrity Hotel, I seem to remember reading about it at one time, but I'm afraid it's all a blur now (like so much else! )

Someone is BOUND to know...

simbas

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Which one is behind Lilli's ?

Simbas

nurseawful

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Simbas,

Not sure there is a beach behind Guidos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the beach at Karsiyaka is free and reasonably clean!

Chris

simbas

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

I'm sure i was looking at one from her back door ? it must have been too many Tonics !

Simbas

sporty

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 16:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

so what people are saying is you could walk onto escape beach or denizkizi beach for example with a towel and use the beach and go for a swim,dont use their sunbeds/parasols/toilets etc and itll be a free day out?is that correct?has anybody tried this and where?

Jeannie

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

sporty - theoretically, this is correct. I think people have tried doing just this with mixed results! Having said that, I believe that, legally, you are well within your rights.

J

spanna

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 17:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

Hi... if you go down to escape beach, there is a long, beautiful section of beach to the right (as you look out too sea), which is not part of the 'Escape' complex. We go down there on a regular basis... there is track down to there from the monument car park. It is a little seaweed stricken at present - but no more so than the section covered by 'Escape' but in the summer months it is usually beautiful and clear... There are no facilities as such but you are able to walk along to 'escape' and use the cafe etc...

Hope that helps!

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 18:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Jeannie

Alsancak beach, going from Lapta towards Girne turn left just opposite Kate O'Reillys

sporty

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

to be honest i dont spend much time beaching,much rather be by a pool,in september i swam at the sandy bay in the harbour at bogaz above famagusta,below the restaurant there,it was super,i've not been to any of the beaches yet nr Alsancak,apart from swimming around the carrier bags etc at silver rocks,lapta.lol.When i was over in sept we had a meal on our last day at kervan restaurant,the cove below looked really inviting,it'll deffo be on our places to go next time we are over,it would be nice to try this theory of free beaches out whilst i'm over there because i'm not too bothered if they let me on or not,however that being said,i would be happy to pay a small fee if we wanted a sunbed/parasol etc,they do charge most other places too for these items,eg,spain and the canaries.It would be nice to have a choice to pay or not,I may just try this out later in the year,for research purposes for cy44 you understand!

everon

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 19:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Kervansary beach is lovely and free if you dont want a sunbed, parasol etc, we always take a picnic then have a couple of Efes at the beach bar. Safe bathing for kids too x

dizzycows

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

Go towards Lapta just past the LA Hotel you will see Rosies cafe, there is a small free beach there, clean and sandy, may have to pay for sunbeds but some take there own beach stuff.....

Jeannie

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

lovingcyprus - thanks for that. I asked Paul when he got home and he said he thought that was the one you were talking about.

Kervansaray is a nice beach - gets busy at weekends with locals, but very reasonably priced. I believe this is a 'council' run beach?

sporty - don't forget to report back after your research for Cy44

everon

Message Posted:
07/01/2010 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

the 'long' bit of beach at Kervansary is 'council' the 'small' bit on the side of the jetty is not, it belongs to the beach bar, I like that bit the best x

Pippie

Message Posted:
29/08/2010 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

I've revived this thread because I have a question. We went to Diana beach today at 6pm for a paddle and to wind down at the end of a busy day. We took our own fold up chairs to sit on so we weren't using any of the facilities provided there.

We were approached as soon as we sat down to pay for using the beach. I'd read KeithCaley's message 7 on here earlier this year that said all beaches were free to use in TRNC. Is this still the case?

I argued my point that we were using the sea and sand only and they couldn't charge us for that but the guy was insistent that the beach was private and we had to pay. I then refused on the point that is was 6pm and we would be lucky to be there longer than 1/2 an hour so I wasn't about to pay a day's fee anyway. He left us alone at that but it did leave us feeling quite awkward.

This is the first time it's happened, we've been down occasionally before after work for a paddle and not had any problem. Could it be cos it's busier on a Su

cronos

Message Posted:
29/08/2010 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Pippie,

Diana Beach is well known for its poor standards and aggressive charging policy

See previous thread http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/38702.asp

No doubt potential customers will stay away in their droves , the place will have to close down ,and the owners will wonder why !

keithcaley

Message Posted:
29/08/2010 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Pippie,

You did exactly the right thing.

It was their 'aggressive charging policy' as cronos put it, that left you feeling awkward - they are in the wrong, not you.

Mehmet Diana claims that the beach is man-made, as he says that he had to put a lot more sand on it, so he should be entitled to charge

However, in common with every other entrepreneur who has spent money enhancing a beach area, and providing facilities, he did it in the full and certain knowledge that access to the beaches is free to the public in TRNC - BY LAW.

If a percentage of the people attracted to the beach wish to use the facilities that he provides, then he can charge them for the privilege. If they simply want to stand (or sit) there and say "Well, this is lovely, haven't they done a nice job!" then he can't!

If the beach ticket seller gets really annoying, tell him point blank that you are not going to pay, and invite him to call the Police. He won't do that, because the Police will support YOU!

Quarmby

Message Posted:
29/08/2010 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Ahh Keith ,remember the good old days ,sailing off of Diana Beach? and sometimes hitting the rocks!!

keithcaley

Message Posted:
29/08/2010 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

...& then hitting the rocks...

....& then hitting the rocks....

I've still got the bruises!

sporty

Message Posted:
29/08/2010 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

im over at the end of september,i'll see if i can try a few out and i'm happy to abide by trnc and not pay to sit on a beach,i wont use beds,toilets or parasols,we'll see what happens. When i was over in may i just went down to look at the deniz kizi beach,wasnt intending on stopping,friends said if you have a meal or a drink theyll let you use it,to be honest its that nice there that i wouldnt mind paying especially if i used the pool for the day.Anyway we'll see what happens.

Pippie

Message Posted:
29/08/2010 23:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Thanks for clarifying things. I didn't realise until tonight, hubby told me that the ticket guy actually said to him "ok, I won't charge you then today but don't come back". Can you believe the cheek of it. It's annoying too because it's local to where we live so it's handy to pop down on the way home in the early evening.

I would agree most times with the people that say 'vote with your feet' but what I really feel like doing at the moment is going back - ideally with a group of like minded friends for extra support - to spend a couple of hours on the sand, just to p*** him off.

If anyone fancies going down next Sunday afternoon between 5 and 6pm, I'll be there if I can talk hubby in to it.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
30/08/2010 08:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

Pippie,

You just keep going, he'll get used to seeing you, and won't bother you anymore!

Of course I am not advocating that no one ever pays - there are some lovely beaches, which have had a lot of work done to make them very attractive venues - they're lovely places to spend a day and worth every penny - IF you want to use the facilities. If you just want to sit on the sand & swim in the sea, that's your own choice.

The places that do catering will still benefit from your custom, provided they serve good food at a reasonable price, and employ civilised, polite staff who make people feel welcome - unlike Diana Beach - in my opinion.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.