North Cyprus Tourist Board - Family accomodation (long let) from 19/06/2010 + (Employment) required
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Family accomodation (long let) from 19/06/2010 + (Employment) required

Family accomodation (long let) from 19/06/2010 + (Employment) required

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Rental Guide

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
17/01/2010 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 42 in Discussion

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post this request, I am moving with my wife and family to Northern Cyprus on the 19th June this year and intend to stay and obtain residency.

We have two young under three, so are looking ideally for reasonably priced

furnished accomodation preferably with an internet connection. I am also seeking employment and can turn my hand to most things and dont really mind what I do, as long as it pays enough to support my wife and family, so we can get established. I can do all aspects of home and pool maintenance including satellite tv installation, I have computer and it skills including repairs, have worked in the financial services industry, and am currently employed as an environmental health officer.

Any advice you can give us will be most welcome,

Thanks

Dave

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
17/01/2010 23:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 42 in Discussion

Have you been to NC before, think you need to do a lot of research. The advice will be along soon I guess.

Hector

Message Posted:
17/01/2010 23:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 42 in Discussion

Dave

I'm very concerned for you and your family to be honest. As Woodspeckie has asked, have you visited or done any research before deciding on this move? Well done on finding this Forum although I think you are in for a shock as to your employment prospects, cost of living and wages if you do find employment. I wish you luck but urge you to look further into this life changing move.

the butler

Message Posted:
17/01/2010 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Dave,

Are either you or your wife Turkish Cypriot? If not you will need a work permit to work here and finding employment is extremely hard. The average monthly wage in Northern Cyprus is £500. With your qualifications you could probably find work in the south and maybe travel to work every day. Or if you have $100,000 to invest, you could start your own business. I am not trying to put you off moving here but the majority of Brits are retired and living off their pensions or have other means to support themselves. If you need to work to support your family I would really think again about moving to the TRNC.

The butlers wife

Jeannie

Message Posted:
17/01/2010 23:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 42 in Discussion

Dave

Like Hector, I am also very concerned for you. May I ask (and you obviously do not have to answer me) why you have decided to relocate to NC when you have never visited? You say you have very young children (who will need to be educated) and you state your employment as "freelance". Freelance what? I can assure you that as a "Freelance Environmentl Health Officer" you will be a long time finding a job.

Having said that, I honestly think the whole post is a wind up. No doubt you will correct me if I am wrong, but I smell a rat (and in your 'job' that wouldn't be difficult, would it?)

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 42 in Discussion

Jeannie. I go along with your last paragraph. Aged 58 looking for employment?

Jeannie

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 00:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 42 in Discussion

Woodspeckie

I can't tell you how relieved I was that someone else felt the same.

I appreciate I am known as the "Grumpy Old Woman" on here, but, I must be honest, it didn't ring quite true!

Thanks

Jean

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 07:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 42 in Discussion

Hi, I assure you that this is not a wind up and my post is indeed very serious, In answer to your replies, I can turn my hand to most things, we are very dissollusioned with the uk and want to start a new life in warmer climes but most importantly of all for our childrens sakes, so they can be brought up with no fear of drugs, guns or being stabbed, the situation here with violence is getting worse by the day. We have been recommended to the region by a close friend who has experience of life there and as long as I have breath in my body, and the will to support my family, then I dont think anyone should be critical of that, whilst I share your concerns, which are obviously genuine (and I thank you for that) I also have sales skills, have worked in airport security, and the financial services sector and until recently had my own company, so you see I am multi talented, both myself and my wife are english and we have not visited the TRNC.

I hope this answers your questions

Dave

Sazna

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 07:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Dave

im sorry to say we relocated here five years ago and have regretted it ever since its very hard to find work here even if you can turn your hand to most things, if you do manage to find a job, the wages do not cover your outgoings and it is a real struggle to support your family. sorry to be so negative but this is the reality here and everyone else who has posted are just being realistic. The island is beautiful and it is safe here but unless you have huge savings and do not need to worry about money then i would seriously reconsider moving here. good luck with what ever you decide.

smithy

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 07:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 42 in Discussion

hello Dave and welcome to the forum

I agree it is hard to get work and even if you do you have to earn enough to keep your family, my son and his family moved here with me but he couldnt earn enough to keep the family so ended up moving to Thailand

but I do wish you and your family every happiness in your life

sheila

Pippie

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 09:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Dave, back on track, eh ... my hubby and I moved out at the end of last year with similar intentions to you. We're still looking for the income but then again it's only been three months so far. Work permits and residency, looking for somewhere to live and generally getting to know the place and the way things operate take up a lot of time at first and I would recommend that when you do come out, you come out with the intention of watching and learning about this place first for a few months rather than hoping to land on your feet straight away - otherwise you'll be in despair in no time. There's a lot of negative vibes on the forum about living here but I'm sure most of those people also came here cos they loved the place. I'm staying positive. We love this place and the local people generally are lovely, it's a more relaxed way of life and when you can go out for a stroll in the sunshine on a Sunday morning knowing that it's just miserable back in the UK, it lifts your spirits!

Pippie

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 09:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 42 in Discussion

Oh, what I really wanted to say - about accommodation - I would suggest you book yourself in to a cheap accommodation for a couple of weeks to give you time to look around. Get in touch with Zena - via http://www.4321.co.il/property or e-mail zenaruv@hotmail.com (though she never answered me on the e-mail, only through the contact through the website!). Zena was great, she's a local and knows loads of people. Over a good few days she took us around loads of places for viewing - and at the budget we said we wanted! A friend put us in touch with Tamer Konat (tamer@gmail.com ) who has a little hotel called The Nostalgia in the centre of Girne. A lovely little place and good price too for B&B, good position from where you can go house hunting. Have fun.

Pogle

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Dave

We moved here for years ago for similar reasons to you, and also with a young child. The quality of life for the child is better and we have our daughter in a fantastic school. However there is very little to do for kids here apart from the beach May-October, in July and August is it unbearably hot. For your wife she may feel isolated away from family/friends and a support network. The cost of living here is high, read the posts on utility costs and monthly expenditure, this can be around £1000 per month, your accom will be between £300-£500 per month for a furnished apartment/villa.

Regarding work it is a terrible struggle for ex-pat families who want to work, a willingness to work is not enough, there are few good jobs to be had. Many young families with a Cypriot father/mother have returned to the UK because they can't make it here and they are allowed to work and speak the language.

I strongly urge you to retain your UK property and come and spend at least 6 months here

gates

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 42 in Discussion

you must be having a lark or completely crackers or you have a magic wand make sure its a big one you will need it

Pogle

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 42 in Discussion

Cont'd

in rented accom and gather all the information you can.

If you would like to email me privately my email address is: melaniepartington@hotmail.com

Best of luck. mel

Pipie

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 12:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 42 in Discussion

nice post pogle !!

negativenick

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 42 in Discussion

the majority of ex pats came here because the property was cheap....

But since the building boom 5 years ago, the cost of living has rocketed...

Finding well paid legit work is bordering on impossible....

Come over on holiday for 3 weeks and talk to as many ex pats as you can..

its v hot in summer and colder than you can imagine inside your property for 4 months in the winter....

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 42 in Discussion

Pippie. Can you explain please the procedure for applying for work permit and residency, do you have to have residency to apply for work permit?

Jeannie

Message Posted:
18/01/2010 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 42 in Discussion

Hi again Dave

I would like to apologise for doubting your sincerity. We do get a lot of wind-up merchants on here and so I was suspicious.

Having said that, I would certainly take on board all that has been said about relocation to N Cyprus. For what it's worth, I would move there for at least six months, living in rented accomodation, have a good look round and then make a decision.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Jean

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 00:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 42 in Discussion

Hi everyone,

Thanks most sincerely for the replies, bit of an eye opener really, I am negotiating with my employer to continue call-handling via a mobile from there, which means he would pay me about £1000 a month, this would at least take the pressure off somewhat from what you have all told me.

What really attracted us was the fact that TRNC is not in the Eu and therefore not subject to the regulations of a"nanny" state.

Many thanks for everyone who contributed here, no worries Jean better to be safe than sorry, and the posts have been helpful, enlightening and informative! perhaps we should look at settling elsewhere

any recommendations anyone??

We look forward to recieving your replies, whats Ayia Nappa like? I know its in the south and in the Eu lol!

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 07:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 42 in Discussion

I think the same answer applies where ever you think of moviing to. Unless you have an income to start with ie pension then you will find it almost impossible just to move to a new location and hope to find work. Unemployment in many countries is even worse than UK and you will find protectionism wherever you go.

If you have a family then you must think very carefully about leaving the relatively safe haven (in terms of work and benefits) of the UK and your employment.

If you are serious then take a couple of months sabatical and check out the possibilities in your chosen location first before making final decision.

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 42 in Discussion

Hi,

Thanks everyone for their advice has been most helpful!

Dave

Lilli

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 42 in Discussion

hi dave if you need schools for the children then 1k will not be enough. do what most reccommend and visit both sides and make your choice. I have to say if you are using a mobile here the charges are sky high, much cheaper greek side sadly. you have a fair bit of homework to do. We are all still in shock here re the Ormas so we a being a bit causious. good luck whatever you decide xx

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Dave.

You said you recently had your own company - what type of company did you have?

Nickygreg

Message Posted:
06/02/2010 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 42 in Discussion

we have a lovely 4 bed villa, ideal for a family that is available mid feb, it has 1 donum of land, that is flat and has a very big astro turfed area. it also has a 10x5 pool and was a lovely family home for my husband and i for 3 years with our 2 young daughters! if you are interested in further details then phone vanessa on 0533 8750849, thankyou and good luck

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 42 in Discussion

@ No1 Doyen,

It was a security company.

@Nickygreg

Thanks but we have found somewhere now.

Regards

nurseawful

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 00:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 42 in Discussion

Goodness nearly a year to answer a question that must be a record surely!!

Chris

Scoty

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 42 in Discussion

Re msg 26 - where did you finally decide to settle if i am not being too nosey?

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 11:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 42 in Discussion

Scoty. I think he said Lapta in another post but hasn't been here yet.

Scoty

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 11:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 42 in Discussion

Thanks for that, just wondered if decided over here was the right place for the family in the end

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 12:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 42 in Discussion

Without even visiting here I don't see how he can make a decision about that, he can get opinions from 44 but a lot is at stake with a family to uproot.

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 42 in Discussion

Hi,

I see there is a lot of negativity here no doubt sincere and well meaning for which I thank you for "telling it like it is". There are however very good reasons why we have chosen trnc and I dont really think relocation would be really any easier anywhere else, the challenges are the same, everywhere has its difficulties, and I dont think trnc is likely to present any bigger challenges than say Italy. From our point of view it has one distinct advantage and that is it is not a member of the EC and if you think trnc has a lot of red tape then wait till you have to deal with the almost daily changes being brought in to the uk to further diminish our rights and liberty. its getting hard to breathe her without permission from somebody and I dont want my children brought up in this environment, underage drinking, sex, drugs are rife here, the standards have been eroded. I want my children to enjoy their childhood and remain children for as long as possible without these extraneous

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 13:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 42 in Discussion

influences, there is no longer any discipline in the schools here, and the price of petrol increases on an almost daily basis, as does the cost of living. people are not friendly and some people dont even acknowledge their neighbours, lets face it despite all the good things you could say about the uk, ie Nhs and Benefit system, this I envisage will in a few years be non existent here, due to the influx of Eastern Europeans and other migrating imigrants. So not a pretty picture.

Dave

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 42 in Discussion

What makes you think petrol and the cost of living is any better in NC, get your head out of the sand, you might be in for some surprises from what I hear.

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 02:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 42 in Discussion

@ Woodspeckie,

My head is well and truly above the parapit, if you see my post re petrol prices you will see the cost of petrol there is significantly lower than the uk, and yes I have had a lot of time to do my homework and have my eyes wide open, what strikes me most is the amount of people on here that have an opinion not based on facts but on pure conjecture.

Whilst I appreciate your input, negativity breeds negativity, and whilst your comments are no doubt well meaning, perhaps you would like to comment on the good and positive things about residing in trnc and why you reside there, which would be far more useful.

Kindest regards

daffodils

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 05:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 42 in Discussion

I think all people are trying to tell you and some do not put it the right way and cause offence is that, you are considering something that to be honest, could possibly wreck your life.

This place in reality for most of it's ex-pat residents is 'Gods waiting room', these are people who made a bit of money with their property in the UK amd came to retire in the sun. Over the last 3 years I have been astounded as to how much prices have gone up and how much it costs to live here, driving licences not god knows how many years in the uk, every year here at £80 per time, residency renewable every year, got to have a mysterious amount of money in the bank (they are tightening up on this) electricity very expensive, freezing in winter, really really hot for two little kiddies in the summer months, then as people have mentioned schooling, roughly £3,000 per year each child, food is not cheap, meat is expensive, fish is expensive. trying to find a well paid job will never happen, they have

daffodils

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 05:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 42 in Discussion

cont....made a rule that work has to go to Turkish Cypriots and if you do menial work, you'll never be able to keep yourself, your family and pay the school fees and you face a really high risk of being deported.What if your children become ill can you afford the medical bills? Don't be fooled by the lure of cheap rental rates, many people have and of course they are long gone or are on their way. It is lovely here, we are all in love with it, lifestyle, the people are friendly and of course the Uk is dreadful, we all came away for all the same reasons but to me with little kiddies and no income you should really rethink. I know people are not telling you what you want to hear, sorry you did ask..many people have wished since that they had done their homework. If you have some savings you may have a chance but be prepared for them to be gobbled up and with no savings at all you will have a job getting past 6 months, they are clamping down on residency

negativenick

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 05:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 42 in Discussion

mess 36 -you are spot on..............

the trnc isn't for a young famlly with little money...................

you are arriving in a few weeks and will be inside you home you'll be freezing your socks off....

my advice - try elsewhere.............

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 42 in Discussion

@Daffodils

Finally!!

A much sought after, honest and open opinion with extremely valid and I have to say persuesive argument, for which I thank you. I particularly like "Gods Waiting Room"

This is very much appreciated

Jodienjon

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Splinter24hr, I have lived here for 3 years now and have had employement since i have been here. i am currently not working as i have recently had a baby but i plan to go back to work when i feel the time is right.

My husband has also had full time work since he has lived here.

My son goes to an english school here also.

I think as long as you stick to a budget and dont waste your money on things then life here is very good. Yes we do struggle but we are on one wage at the moment.

As long as you have some good friends around you and enjoy the quality of life then thats what counts. During the summer as a family we spend most of the time at the beach, having BBQ having FAMILY time, Quality time and think this is important.

If you do not try things in life you will regret it, yes some people dont like it here but you are not them, try it for yourself and make your mind up.

Hope you enjoy it here xx

Jodienjon

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 12:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 42 in Discussion

forgot to add were 32

splinters24hr

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 42 in Discussion

JodienJohn

Thanks for the reply,

Would it be possible to speak to you on the phone??

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.