North Cyprus Tourist Board - safe Bulletin Boards
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > safe Bulletin Boards

safe Bulletin Boards

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Rental Guide

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

mikemans

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

How safe is this BB and others from hackers obtaining personal details, especially for UK/Euro owners who have purchased in TRNC but still keep their home residency in say the UK. In view of recent events on Orams, no doubt some wily persons with a GC or other legal money spinning interest and a good knowledge of IT will wish to compile a list of owners in TRNC, that at some future may lead to litigation. Can the owners operators of this site offer some reassurance that my details given are 100% safe from any such action.

I know business people such as Ali Safa at Medview are lobbying the TRNC governement to close property registers to anyone other than the registered owner and other protective measures.

Resp[onse from owners of BB appreciated.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

We and others have consistently told people on this board and other BB's.

Do not publish what you don't want known. i.e.

If you have a home in both countries and the one in North Cyprus is not on "pre 74" Turkish or foreign title land don't publish the fact.

If you are going away for a day, two weeks or whatever - don't publish it here (this is why I always take such private information off board when people want flights or holidays).

If you don't have good and upto date anti-virus and anti-spam don't publish your email address as anyone (anywhere) might abuse it & your computer - upto date is often more important than "good" or expensive

Don't give your phone number openly if you dont want some calls

If you copy anyone in an email unless you know them very well use the BCC function and when passing on emails delete the others it has been sent to before

Etc.

All simple and obvious security on the http://www.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

Tom,

I think that is the perfect answer.

Only other problem is confidentiality is almost none existent here, no data protection etc. You can find out most things about anybody by just asking.

the butler

Message Posted:
01/02/2010 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Hi Mikemans,

Mr Ali Safa should stop wasting his time with the government and start tracing the Greek Cypriots who owned the land on the many complexes he has built on. This is what the developer of Patara City has done and paid the original owners compensation and aquired the title deeds. I am sure all the people who have bought from Mr Safa wouldn't mind chipping in a few pounds for peace of mind.

The butlers wife

mikemans

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Hi Butlers wife,

the issue goes far beyond any individual and is a national problem that needs political will and input, blaming Ali Safa for buying and selling land is not the answer, with your theory, one could say every owner or developer small or big should pay out additional money for land purchased, are you prepared to contribute additional money to resolve the problem. Attacking thed eveloper is not the answer, that approach creates a divide when all parties involved need to work togther. Having said that your pount carries merit and we at our resort discussed the situation 2 years ago and hypothetically said that if the original GC owner evr showed up and wanted say a half million then it would only be an additional £3/4000 per unit and that is a price most would be happy to pay to se the issue resolved. I do repeat though it is a national issue and individual settlements only create a precedent for others to follow.

the butler

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

Hi Michael,

I agree in theory with what you are saying but we have both owned property in TRNC long enough to know that the government do not listen to anything regarding property. They have had many years to put these wrongs right but have not done so. You mention that all the owners on your development would willingly pay an extra 3-4 thousand pounds in compensation to the original owners of the land and I am sure that most owners would do this. However, we cannot do this without title deeds or possibly not even with title deeds and it must surely be up to the developers to do this on our behalf. I am not knocking Mr Safa, I am only suggesting that he could do more for his clients, after all it was Medview among many who said there were no problems with exchange title.

The butlers wife

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

Please try and keep the thread 'on topic'

AJ

mikemans

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

Hi Butlers wife, you are spot on and Mr Safa does owe a duty of care to his owners and he has published in his newspapers he is taking up the cause on their behalf and of course his own, he is not a samaritan but he knows it makes good businesss sense to be seen trying to help even if unsuccessful. We are led to believe that our TRNC deeds will be issued this summer after nearly 5 years and enquiries suggest this is a corect statement from the Medview camp, if issued it may be helpful although at this moment in time non issue seems to be the best option until matters are clearer.

However going back to the thread, owners must take precautions against the web sites and BB being accessed by hackers, we still have not had a response from the 44 site operators that our personal details are bullet prooof, so please Mr operator post some answers for all your users.

Lilli

Message Posted:
02/02/2010 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

Mike you know I have had strange emails with a warning, today I kept receiving calls from UK numbers who rung off when I ansered about 8 in total. I managed to get one back after deletinf the 9044, got answered by a guy called Alun, ay first i thought it was my son as he was in court on a speeding charge today. He went onto tell me he was a telephone engineer checking the line as his client couldnt het through. I said Im a turkisk number and only my friends and family have my number, his reply no you are in northern cyprus, this was follwed by a spate of call all showing 9044 and the number, all hung up. I found it very strange. I do give my number our re restaurant also to home dogs. makes you think. I am so niave but all this is getting to me. Already I have been referred to as Lilis Kaffe x

mikemans

Message Posted:
03/02/2010 11:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

4 owners, a response please as to how safe is the data you have on subscribers to this BB, I am surprised t no response as moderators are quick to deleyte offenders, why no response ????????????????

simbas

Message Posted:
03/02/2010 11:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

Msg 10 , Have you put your questions to Izzet himself ?

Simbas

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
03/02/2010 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

mikemans

As Simbas suggests e-mail Izzet for an answer to your questions.

We 'moderators' are members as well and as such are not privy to the inner workings of the board.

AJ

mikemans

Message Posted:
03/02/2010 17:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

have no contact details for |Izzet, I assume he owns the BB ????, does he look at the content, thanks for the tips it is appreciated can someone direct me to the contact details for the man himself.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
03/02/2010 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

mikemans

You have e-mail

scruff

Message Posted:
03/02/2010 17:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

Noticed that oh so many members on this BB show personal details on their member profiles. email addresses visible etc etc. As flightholiday wisely says in message 2, do not publish what you don't want known.

It makes sense.

Izzet

Message Posted:
03/02/2010 19:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

mikemans,

As the owner of the forum, I cannot guarantee anything.

We make reasonable efforts to make sure our server is secure.

Please refer to message 2 by flightholiday for some advice.

You are only giving out this set of information:

Name

Marital Status

Occupation

Email Address

Whatever you give out, except your email address, is publicly visible to members (not guest users or bots).

You can hide your email address if you like.

If you choose to show your email address, only members with minimum 50 approved messages can see your email address.

Let me repeat:

Whatever you give out, except your email address, is publicly visible to members.

So, nobody needs to hack to our server to get this information.

If somebody wants to access your member information, they just need to sign up as a member.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Izzet

mikemans

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks Izzet, I appreciate your reply, could you please delete me from the data base completely and I will re register under different data.

Many thanks

scruff

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

I think you will find that your membership of this BB cannot be deleted.

simbas

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

Msg 17 , No-one can see your e - mail address accept for admin , unless you opted for your e-mail to be shown . If you have , please e-mail Izzet and he will ammend your details to your satisfaction

Simbas

scruff

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

Simbas.

You can hide your email address yourself, by amending your own profile. You can even amend other details on your profile except your user name.

timefore

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

just tried hide email address but could'nt - suggestions anyone

scruff

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

Let's try again. Phew

On the Board Homepage there is a option "edit member information". Select this option.

Your email address is showing there, BUT IT WILL BE HIDDEN FROM OTHER MEMBERS if you select the last option on this page, "Show email address to members"

Options are Yes. recommended (unwisely IMHO) or No. Hide my email address so nobody sees it. This should become the recommended option.

swannee7

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

re member email addresses. Since first registering I've changed my email address but can't access any edit facilities for updating this info. This must happen occasionally, surely ? (i.e. changing email details). What to do ?

mikemans

Message Posted:
04/02/2010 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

Still think I would rather be deleted (metaphorically speaking) than risk being targetted, I will be happy to just access and read rather than contribute.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.