North Cyprus Tourist Board - Dog Poisoning-Again In Esentepe
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Dog Poisoning-Again In Esentepe

Dog Poisoning-Again In Esentepe

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

» Read about Esentepe Village in North Cyprus

» Korineum Golf Course, Esentepe, North Cyprus

magicart

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Yet another case of this barbaric act.

This time 200 yards passed the bakery towards the top of the Village.

The poison was placed on the road and the dog eat the poison in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Pleased to confirm we were able to save the dog but please be aware that Esentepe for some reason appears to have been targetted.

Two of my dogs were recently poisoned and I'm aware of another 3 cases in the area.

Thanks

Art.

Art.

mags111

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 09:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

Glad your dog survived. What on earth can we do to stop this??? Its almost impossible to catch anyone doing it.

Maz

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

It seems as if things are being 'hotted up' in terms of poisoning as many dogs as possible. I spoke to KAR last night and they say:

1. DO report it to them -they then have a base of referral when they speak to the government.

2. DO report it to the police so at least they can also get a true picture of what is happening.

3. BE ASSURED that KAR are not letting it drop,. They keep seeing the government (when the appointment is NOT0 cancelled, and are constantly told 'we are working on changing the law' or words to that effect. No comment form me that it is now two years since the petitions were drawn up!

4. DO put a muzzle on your dog when you take it out.

Personally I won't do that - I think it is a total negation of freedom for both dogs and owners. My dog should not be punished for being taken out, it is meant to be a pleasure and I also think that the more people complain to government/police, it could help KAR when they try to bring pressure on.

puppylover

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

MarieB

I also spoke to KAR this morning and was told what you have stated.

I have asked KAR to look into supplying the poisoning posters that they have on the web site to all the local vets.

magicart

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 13:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

MarieB,

I agree with your comments and like you I want my dogs to run freely on their walks without a muzzle.

I now carry a bottle of antidote together with a syringe and charcoal tablets on every walk.These saved the life of this poor dog on Tuesday morning.It was remarkable to see how effective the antidote was -within minutes the dog had stopped shaking and the charcoal made him vomit.A few minutes later he was almost back to normal.You must however take the dog to the vets following the injection of the antidote.

My advice is simple go the your local pharmacy and buy the antidote/syringe and charcoal tablets.Carry them with you on every walk.

"Give a dog life"

Thanks

Art.

lally

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 15:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Hi Art. Can you tell me what you ask for when you go to the chemist? I mean when I ask for the antidote, will they not ask what for? Think it is a very good idea for all dog owners to have this kit.

Lally

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 15:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Art Im so pleased your dog survived. xx

mikea11

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

It's called atropin and you can get it at your vets but it does have to be injected into the muscle.

tilly

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

Having lost our dog Poppy on Sunday at Alagadi beach I am interested in steps we as dog owners could take now to treat poisoning. It may be years before poisons are banned in the country. We need up to date information on dealing with poisoning when it happens now.

Would a Poison Prevention Leaflet be a good idea. Details of what to carry, were to obtain these supplies and how to administer them could be included. Dog walkers like myself could carry these items each time we took our dogs out.

I personally did not know you could buy Atropine or how it could be used in treating poison in dogs. As a retired nurse I am aware of its use in hospital accident departments. If we had known our dog might have made it.

If this is a workable idea, could we not speak to the local vets and with their assistance produce a leaflet that could be readily available on there premises. Plus KAR could put it on there web site for the public to download.

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 17:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Tilly, what a great idea. I for one am behind you all the way.

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 17:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

tilly im behind you all the way, wish i had the money i would implement it xxxxxxxxxx

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 19:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Great idea - would Atropin work for snake bites too?

loulouis

Message Posted:
24/02/2010 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

What do board members and animal lovers think these dastardly people carry out this cruel act for. What are there reasons for poisoning defencless animals ?. Maybe once we can understand why : maybe we could do something about it .

Loui

girne 29

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

Some cases might be a farmers desire to rid the area of dogs but unfortunately without the constraints of the law.

That can be understood, if not condoned.

On the broader nature of why people are cruel

Nothing to understand .Its the nature of the beast.Might be a power thing,or a personality kink. Cruelty to animals, like cruelty to children ,is done mainly because one can get away with it more easily.The victims are slightly or totally inarticulate. In UK report, of a sample of families reported for animal abuse, 83% were also known for child abuse.

Chief executive of the NSPCC, said: "Animals and children have one thing in common - they're both easy to hurt."

Some people enjoy inflicting pain and having power. Doing it to children or animals gives the offender enjoyment with out the risks of attempting the same with adults. I believe thats why children were the priests victims in Ireland, sexual preference being a secondary condition.

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 00:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Loulouıs

the main (accepted) reason for poisoning is to protect the farmers sheep, chıcken and goats etc from being attacked and eaten. Although there are people who found poison in theır gardens and have suffered the consequences...this of course is absolutely NOT acceptable!!

DD

lally

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 08:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

Tilly, fantastic idea, maybe those interested in doing something in producing a leaflet could get together. I for one would be very happy to help out.

Lally

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 08:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

Dosing old meat with 'Lanate' is usually the Cyp's preferred way of laying poison - of course, this also kills all sorts of other wildlife - hedgehogs, birds, etc. 'Lanate' is used in a number of agricultural applications, e.g. for spraying apricots and other fruits to prevent fruit worms. In the South it is widely available in bottled liquid form - labelled 'Lancyp'. As such, it would be almost impossible to get this evil stuff banned (only in the South), unless the EU legislated against it. It may be on the 'Restricted Poisons' list, and in EU users may have to have a licence to buy or store and use it; however, I think we all know that Cypriots are renowned for flouting such regulations. The agricultural pesticide suppliers (shops) will sell anything to anyone. I know that, in the South, they were using agricultural/horticultural chemicals that had long since been banned everywhere else. One can only suspect that the reason for this, primarily, is that they could buy the...

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 08:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

Cont's:

with no accountability and the companies, probably, would be very pleased to dump it in Cyprus, rather than officially and expensively in their own countries.

Geoff

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

I think all dogs should be kept under control at all times, there should be a registration system, all dogs "chipped", and all dogs required to wear a collar on which is the registration number and owner's contact details. Any dogs found in the streets not complying should be shot on sight. This way they cannot spread diseases such as rabies etc. Such rules apply in many middle east countries, Bahrain to mention just one. The farmers would have no excuse then if they poison dogs and could be prosecuted.

Geoff

Famagusta City

hellsgranny

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Just to let everyone know another 2 dogs dies on Sunday due to poisoning in the area around Alagadi beach.

scruffdog

Message Posted:
25/02/2010 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

A friend of mine who lives in Aligadi, lost 2 dogs to poison over a year ago. Someone must know who is doing this as there have been so many in one small populated area?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.