North Cyprus Tourist Board - Our Flights Have Just Been Cancelled
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Our Flights Have Just Been Cancelled

Our Flights Have Just Been Cancelled

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

leylandlad

Message Posted:
01/03/2010 23:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 36 in Discussion

Hi All

Really in the you no what now!!!

Just had an email off On the Beach to say our flights at the end of the month have been canceled. We were due to fly out with Monarch on the 29th March and return to the UK on 8th April.

The stupid thing is when we have just checked on the Monarch website and the flight is still available (even though twice the price we paid)

Surely this is illegal, how can Monarch tell On The Beach to cancel our flight and then sell it themselves at whatever price they chose to!!!!!

Any help or advice would be appreciated folks, 4 very annoyed adults and 3 upset children!!

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 36 in Discussion

Suggest you contact Monarch, is it On the Beach who are the problem? did they give you a reason for the cancellation?

Liv84

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 00:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 36 in Discussion

Hi,

Same thing happened to me with KTHY, I booked month ago then one week before my flight they told me that they have to transfer me to another flight.

I couldn'T do anything about it ı just had to accept it but ı made turism agent to pay for my airport transfer from mancester airport to Birmingham.

As ı know they have to refund your money back.

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 36 in Discussion

Think it is Monarch that are the problem Woodspeckie.

Monarch have a contact us section with reference to all ZB flight cancellations thru 3rd party agents.

I am sure they will offer me the alternative flight when i ring and roast them in the morning BUT were am I supposed to find the extra £1000 for the 7 of us to come over!!!!!!

Liv - they cannot offer an alternative flight as they are saying there is not one (bear in mind they have already changed it once on us prior to tonight).

The bit that is slightly confusing is that on the Monarch.co.uk web site the flight still shows as being available (but obviously at the inflated price)!!

flightholiday

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 36 in Discussion

The problem that you both have come up against is that the airliones have total control and that their contracts worldwide are written "against" the traveller and also the travel agent.

The only contract the airline makes is to get you from A to B not how or when.

They have the right to refund your money as does the agent and at that point they are effectivley removed any responsibilty. This will happen more often these days as fewer aircarft are breaking even let alone profitable.

Liv - Msg 3 You are lucky as the agent was not liable to pay for it and may not get repaid.

Just before Xmas one of our clients at flightholiday was refused boarding by KTHY because the airline system made an error.

At about 10.00 pm we heard about it and tried to resolve the problem.

We paid for the travellers to stay at an expensive hotel in Stansted overnight and IAH are still waiting for the airline to compensate us (at over ten times our profit) for the airlines error.

Tootie

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 00:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 36 in Discussion

The problem that you both have come up against is that the airliones have total control and that their contracts worldwide are written "against" the traveller and also the travel agent.

The only contract the airline makes is to get you from A to B not how or when.

They have the right to refund your money as does the agent and at that point they are effectivley removed any responsibilty. This will happen more often these days as fewer aircarft are breaking even let alone profitable.

Sorry but your statement makes no sense at all, and is also not true.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 01:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 36 in Discussion

In my ignorance, and I stand to be corrected, Monarch do not fly to TRNC and if your resort is North Cyprus based maybe the airline knows something about the border being imminently closed which we do not!

Richard

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 01:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 36 in Discussion

The flights are into Larnaca Brinsley or they were until tonight.

Going to have 3 very upset boys in the morning (12,11 and 3 years old and now the prospect of no holiday).

Brinsley

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 01:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 36 in Discussion

Msg 8

Okay, where or what is 'On the Beach', a booking agent, a resort, or?

Richard

Tootie

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 02:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 36 in Discussion

Your agent has to give you a refund or another flight at no cost to you, If they are ATOL Protected!? then they have no choice but too refund/exchange your flights but NOT any Hotel or transfer costs.

Take this up with your agent who you booked through.

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 02:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 36 in Discussion

It is a booking agent Richard.

I assume they buy a set amount of seats off Monarch, put their own mark up on said seats and then sell them on. I guess Monarch have the right to recall the seats at any time and then On The Beach have to inform those who purchased through them have no longer got a flight to board.

Maybe only the airline itself should be able to sell its own flights in the first place :(

Tootie

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 02:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 36 in Discussion

looking at the website i dont see any ATOL protection.

People should be aware that ABTA gives the customer no protection.

Without ATOL Protection then the agent has no obligation by law to refund or exchange anything they sell you.

I understand this does not help you right now. Have you booked on a credit card?

Call IAH. They should advise you best. Good luck.....

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 02:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 36 in Discussion

Tootie you are going to give me heart failure!!!

The below is lifted off their web site and hopefully means we are covered.

On the Beach has arranged Supplier Failure Cover giving you complete peace of mind in the rare event of the insolvency of a flight supplier.

Whether you have booked flights with On the Beach flying with charter, low cost or scheduled airlines this cover ensures that in the unfortunate event of a failure of your flight provider your monies are safe. All you need to do is make a new flight booking with alternative provider safe in the knowledge that you can secure a refund on your original flight booking

Is my booking protected?

Yes. With Supplier Failure Cover all flights bookings are 100% protected

How is my Booking protected?

All flight bookings with us are fully protected via the Supplier Failure Cover scheme we arrange at the time of booking. We will claim a refund from the insurance company underwriting the scheme and pass this on to you.

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 02:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 36 in Discussion

Flight Holiday - can you help us finding flights??????

7 of us to get over there, as follows:

4 adults and 3 kids aged 12, 11 and 3.

We were due to fly Luton to Larnaca on the 29th March with Monarch and then return Larnaca to Luton on Thursday 8th or Friday the 9th April.

We live just outside Preston in Lancashire but happy to travel to any uk airport if you can get us out for reasonable money??

My email is martin_cosycottage@yahoo.co.uk, feel free to drop me a line if you help and i can tell you what sort of money we have got to play with!!!!!

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 08:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 36 in Discussion

Leylandlad

Sorry to hear of your plight and I hope that Flightholiday can find you something reasonably priced. I have just looked on Skyscanner (a site that we regularly use for cheap flights back to UK) and the cheapest that I can find is Luton/Larnaca return £1729 - this does not include baggage etc. Not good news i am afraid.

Best of luck

Paul

malsancak

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 36 in Discussion

leylandlad, if you paid by credit card then they are "jointly and severally liable." What this means is they would be your second point of call. Your argument would be that you have booked the flights early in order to get them cheap and by breaking the contract you would be liable to extra costs. I believe the compensation would be €200 per passenger if Monarch have cancelled.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2006/feb/22/britishairways.theairlineindustry

Lilli

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 36 in Discussion

hi leyland im really sorry to hear this, in case tom is not on here yet his email is info@flightholiday.co.uk . The very best of luck, its unbeleivable.

michelle3012

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 36 in Discussion

Hi being a nosey cow......! I have just looked on the 'on the beach' website and in their T&C's it appears although they booked your flights the contract you have is with 'Monach'

It says 'No tickets will be issued for low cost flights and you will simply need your confirmation number, which will be emailed to you with your booking confirmation, along with your passport, to board the flight.' It also says: On line check in

Please note that some no frills airlines require you to check in online. Where applicable your paperwork includes instructions regarding the online check in procedure. Failure to check in online will result in check in fees at the airport which you will be liable to pay for.

So have you been onto the Monach website and checked for yourself? I would complain and speak to ATOL.

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 36 in Discussion

Morning All

Thanks for the overnight replies, help and advice. What makes it worse is that on this trip we were going to look at possible business opportunities for us all to move out to NC in the next 18 months.

Having slept on it I feel worse than I did last night when we got the email. Off to email flightholiday now (thx Lilli) and yes michelle, i will be in touch with every man and his dog today, although i dont think it will get me anywhere!!!

michelle3012

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 36 in Discussion

One thing i did note on monach, is that they only ask for a £25 deposit per person with the remainder due 6 weeks prior to travel, check your credit card statement, because maybe the 3rd party ie On the Beach didnt pay the balance for you and thats why they have been cancelled. But i do know that a lot of these 'no frills' airlines have been stopped from making bookings, although looking on their website they are still offering flights from Luton with monach. I would take them to the small claims court.....!

MarkVPiazza

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 36 in Discussion

What these dodgy agents do is sell their allocation of flights, cheap at first, getting more expensive as departure approaches .

A month before departure, they see how many seats they have sold, and how many they had to sell, and those who have paid the least, then dump the least profitable "customers" and give them their money back.

If you go with dodgy , fly by night agencies, this can happen (it has happened to me)

Mark

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 10:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 36 in Discussion

To be fair Mark, On The Beach have been around for many years as a booking agent and I have nothing but good things to say about them up to this incident.

Having just spoke to them directly they are now saying that if Monarch have withdrawn the flight for commercial reasons then it is illegal for them to continue selling it on their own web site for double the cost!!!!

Today could be fun!!!!!! Waiting for a phone call back from them after 9 when the Monarch offices open.

michelle3012

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 36 in Discussion

Good Luck, let us know what the outcome is, and how they went about it, it could be useful information for others.

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 10:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 36 in Discussion

course i will michelle.

Orig Price of Flights 1261.30 GBP

Monarch now selling that flight on their own web page for 2198.22 GBP

What a joke!!!

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 12:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 36 in Discussion

There maybe light at the end of the tunnel everyone!!!!!!

On The Beach have just rang and said they believe it to be a clerical error on Monarchs part but will not be able to confirm this for 24 hours.

That may be a ploy just to buy some time but for now at least there is hope!!

cooper

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 12:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 36 in Discussion

Live can sometimes "be such a Beach !!"

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 36 in Discussion

nice one coops!!!

At least it raised a smile on a rather stressful morning!!!!!

Cyprusquest

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 36 in Discussion

Hope it works out fine for you.

gates

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 36 in Discussion

your wasting your time looking to start buisenese out here it cost a fortune to start and a fortune to keep going you should read some of the postings about it but its a nice place to holiday but would not bother at those prices get an all inclusive for that spain port it would be much more relistic than flights only hope all works out well for you all

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 36 in Discussion

Gates - which wrist should i slit first then!!!!! There must be some businesses that do ok over there!!!!!

Our project would include a building project within it so if you fancied it you could quote on it!!!

Our plan is not for a tourist business but for something that concentrates on ex-pats and local born turk-cyps.

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 36 in Discussion

Crack a beer open!!!!!

Flights reinstated by Monarch!!!!!!!!!!

See you all on the 29th!!

joandjelly

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 36 in Discussion

I just wanted to say that with regard to paying with a credit card if you made your booking through an agent then you will not be able to claim against your card issuer as the agent will be deemed to have provided you with a service, i.e. made the booking and passed the payment on on your behalf (assuming this has been done).

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 36 in Discussion

You have a project in mind, have you been to NC to meet ex-pats living there and know what they like to do? I think you will need more than a week to weigh everything up about opening a business or looking for property.

NanaJan

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 36 in Discussion

Glad to hear your good news Leyland Dad at least the holiday is on again.

I think with three boys though to be honest the UK is the best bet for work. In TRNC you would be looking at school fees for the older boys at least since they really could not attend a local school now due to the language problem and the curriculum at senior level. Private health insurance for the family. Wages not as good as the UK for yourself and business not being easy anywhere at present. No help with unemployment money if the business does not do well. If you then have to return to the UK you have to wait six months or so before you can claim anything to help out.

The boys will need work when they leave school and that will also prove a problem perhaps.

Not trying to be a doom monger but just trying to look at life as it is. We live in the North West like you and to be honest life is not so bad for most people. Today is sunny and bright but cold. Grandchildren all getting good educations at nice

leylandlad

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 36 in Discussion

Woodspeckie - we have friends who have lived out in NC for many many years now and we have been visiting the area for 3 years now. I think between us we have a fair grasp of what people want, if we are wrong then we will fail and if we are right then we do not look to make fortunes or even an over inflated wage.

We want to provide a service to the community and in doing so earn a LIVABLE wage, enough to eat, drink and educate our children. The kids are split between 2 families so making 4 adults.

NanaJan - i no you are airing on the side of caution but i honestly believe if we get the correct location the business we set up will see us able to support ourselves for years to come. Wages etc do no need to be at the same level as we have in the UK as there are not the same living costs. Obviously we cannot survive on bread and water alone but we think we have enough financial stability to see through the first 3 years while the business gets established.

NanaJan

Message Posted:
02/03/2010 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 36 in Discussion

Go for it then and the very best of luck to you and the group. At least you will know that you have give it a go and not had any regrets.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.