North Cyprus Tourist Board - Turkcell 3G- Is it reliable in Ozankoy?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Turkcell 3G- Is it reliable in Ozankoy?

Turkcell 3G- Is it reliable in Ozankoy?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

mollycorbin

Message Posted:
15/03/2010 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

I saw in a previously dated post that 3G is generally reliable in the Ozankoy area. Is this still the case? I would like to buy a dongle next week when I visit so I have access to the Internet then. I am not in the UK so I cannot take advantage of the O2 dongles offer mentioned in the forum. After investing time and money securing the dongle, I do not want to then have to switch to another ISP when I make my permanent move to Ozankoy. Thanks in advance.

mollycorbin

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Anyone? Thanks.

mrsgee

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Mollycorbin

I have had 3g for almost a year now, and though I have experienced a few connection problems at times, I think that this is more down to my computer probably having to work tooooo hard. I have a netbook that I use when I cannot get connection on main computer and this seems to work very well....I don't have so many programs stored on that. I live on the edge of Ozankoy. I don't download films but do occasionally buy music from Itunes which downloads slower than in UK but is fine. I understand that there is a limit to how much you can download - I don't think that 3G is meant for excessive downloads but I daresay someone else who does download more than me can give their thoughts. hope this helps

mollycorbin

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Mrsgee,

Thanks for your assistance. It is very much appreciated.

When I move to Ozankoy, I am thinking about using a 3G Wireless Router in my house so that several computers at once have access to the internet. Does anyone see a problem with this based upon Mrsgee's input about 3G performance in Ozankoy?

wanderer

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Mollycorbin

First test that it works in your house in Ozenkoy

Secondly a number of machines operating on a 3g will make it slow

So you may be better with a fixed system especially if you are going to be here most of the time

In the UK I have 3/4 machines working off 10gig Virgin broadband width and when my daughters home it slows right down ***animation art students

looking at this post below you can save on the dongle @£10 and just get a sim when your'e here

I'm going to get one as back up and travelling

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/32008.asp

I have gone through 4 gig in a week on the Turksell card which is ok for a couple of weeks stay

When I'm over for longer I use the plus option so that all my downloading is done between 2 & 8am without

using up the 10 gigs

hope this helps

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Hi there,

We live between Catalkoy and Ozankoy and our 3G has worked fine since about last September once they sorted out their problems.

We have watched live football, snooker and tennis with no problems.

marcosthechef

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Mollycorbin

I am sitting at Liasons at this moment on the telsim dongle with my laptop,no bother at all thats good especially at this time of day 5.30pm

waddo

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

marcosthechef, Don't try that with a Turkcell dongle, you will be lucky if you get a signal in that part of the village. I have both Turkcell and TelSim dongles and have used both (live just above Star Bowling) with some success. Turkcell was "ify" in my area to say the least but TelSim seemed to work ok most of the time. I do know that in some parts of the village - in the upper areas, not even Turkcell phones work very well.

mollycorbin

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

All,

I'm grateful for the prompt feedback. I welcome any other recommendations or advice regarding which ISP is the best in Ozankoy for use with a wireless router. Thanks!

waddo

Message Posted:
16/03/2010 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

I am currently using Nethouse (not 3G) and am very happy with it. Router works a treat and my monthly (95TL) rate for 1Mb is just fine - have kept the 3g for TelSim as a back up and thrown the 3g for Turkcell into the dusty drawer! Just wish we had a landline and all problems would be solved.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.