North Cyprus Tourist Board - driving to uk on trnc plates
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > driving to uk on trnc plates

driving to uk on trnc plates

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

timefore

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

does anyone know the legalities of driving across europe on trnc plates?

Whistler

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Has anybody actually done this????

timefore

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 13:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

we are trying to plan a trip to the uk next year, turkey, italy, france, uk and return.

Whistler

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 13:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Shall be watching the posts with interest, because we also would like to do the same as you.

zerochlor

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 13:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

If you can drive in the south on TRNC number plates,there should be really no issues,as long as you have insurance cover passing through each country along the way or a green card,i would of thought the number plate isnt a issue.insurance is more important.

Some of the TRNC number plates look like some of our british private number plates,and there is no problem driving anywhere in europe with a private number plate on your car.

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Was posted last year some one tried but was not allowed vehicle into Bulgaria as they were told NC is not a reconised country and they were not allowed access.Would contact customs of country's you are traveling through for verification

D.N

timefore

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

thanks for the info people

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
17/03/2010 21:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Driving through Bulgaria has always had its problems, they do not like Turks or Turkish Cypriots and are always after backhanders at the borders its a route I would not advise anyone to take.

Turkey - Italy - France - UK is fine providing you have the appropriate insurance & travel documents, vehicle or vehicle plates are not an issue..

Maz

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 01:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

I reckon if you can afford the ferry, then try to go from Limassol to Italy and then drive? Not sure about Greece! Or Turkey and ferries. But how do you suggest Turkey to Italy? Presumably using a ferry somewhere?

I would like to do it, and have been looking to hear of someone who has done it, but have heard only of some coming form U.K.

So, is Bulgaria the only 'sticky' country??? And where do you get the insurance for each country. Perhjaps I should go back to my personal number plates - would that make it easier?

Geoff

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Yes.put the car back on UK plates, make sure you have the UK registration document, and insurance for all countries you intend to transit.

Geoff

Famagusta City

gerrybart

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Hi I lived in Bulgaria for years before coming over to Cyprus. Yes they dont like the Turks, but you wont get any hassle at the borders as long as you have no "contraband". If you decide to go that route and someone asks for a backhander, just tell them NO, you wont get arrested and theres not a lot they can do about it. Generally speaking the border police are far more laid back than the traffic police, but as soon as you show them your UK passport and drivers license and they know you arent Turks they willl generally just wave you on.

Maz

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

To Geoff I say 'That's O.K if the car was Britishin the first place. Lots of us have cars purchased here and of course with TRNC number plates and registration document. That is why we are a curious as to know how we can drive back and make it without being barred at any border crossing because we come form a place that does not exist!

henrik

Message Posted:
18/03/2010 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

@ gerrybart! in the year 2008 I was standing at the bulgarian border with german driving licence, german passports and a TRNC registered car with green card insurance etc.

They did not let me go through, even they beeing EU member! They said, you can pass but not the car. POINT. After I had hours of conversations with the german embassy in Bulgaria, they confirmed that Bulgaria has a law which allows them to block cars from entering if they are registered in an unrecognized country.

I returned back to TRNC as it made no sense to wait another day in the area of nowhere inbetween bulgaria and turkey.

The ferry to Italy would be my next option - but I prefer to fly.. did not try it till now.

good luck to all and post the result

Doonhamer

Message Posted:
19/03/2010 06:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Mesg 5 My opinion is that the reason the ROC allows in TRNC registered cars is due to the “Green Line” Regulation for Cyprus 2004 but is only applicable in Cyprus, no other western country apart from Turkey will accept the plates as legal.

baxi7

Message Posted:
25/03/2010 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

have done trip twice , am at the present using trnc plates in the uk , as allready stated - bugaria can be a problem , best if you have second set of no plates as back up just in case .

anika

Message Posted:
25/03/2010 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

We have done the overland trip 4 timesin a registered TRNC truck, by ferry to Turkey then ferry from Izmir to Italy (the Turkey/Italian ferry does not run in the winter). We have also tried Bulgaria and had a great deal of trouble getting through but we had new TRNC plates made with the EU emblem on, which all EU vehicles have, after much argument that did the trick. Once you have got through your plate is logged on the computer and you will no longer have trouble in Europe or UK. Insurance for the car is the most expensive piece, you can get green card insurance when you leave Turkey which only last 2 weeks, no one in Europe or England will give you insurance so we had to renew via the insurance company in Turkey, would suggest you arrange insurance before you leave. It's a fun trip, good luck

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.