North Cyprus Tourist Board - driving to TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > driving to TRNC

driving to TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

debdebs

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

My husband will be driving to trnc in August. Can anyone tell us the best route to take. We also need information on ferries i.e prices

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PtePike

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Driving to Cyprus - an excellent way to experience so many countries on the way. Here's the route we took a couple of times:

Hull/Zeebrugge-Belgium - Netherlands - Germany - Austria - Slovenia - Croatia - Bosnia - Serbia - Bulgaria - Turkey - Tasucu -Kyrenia/Cyprus.

Allow for seven days relaxed but that was with two very young children. You could shave a couple of days off that. Contact your nearest VLO to get a Green Card and main post office for International Drivers Licence. Check with your insurer about non-EU places like SCG, HR, and TR. While in SCG stay away from areas bordering Kosovo. It's worth also noting many insurers will say you're OK for TR but when you check they mean "Europe" i.e. west of the Bosphorus. The Tasucu ferry is a gruelling experience but you do get to wear the T shirt after . Also make sure you have your log book and all paperwork in order, or the TC customs may try and impound your car. Look out also for the crook in the car insurance booth who may try and rip you off big time. Get a competitive quote and have a policy waiting for you if needs be.

Hope this helps and good luck!

flightholiday

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 00:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

I have also heard of people using a ferry from Italy to Turkey as Bulgaria and one or two other countries you can pass through seem to get a poor reputation for things. None of our customers have had experience so this is hearsay. Tom

the butler

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Hi debsdebs

There is a ferry from Brindisi Italy - Cesme Turkey it is run by Marmara Lines

The ferry leaves once a week on a saturday evening at 11.30pm and arrives in Turkey at 10am on Monday morning. Hope this helps. I found this information on google

The butlers wife

Aslan

Message Posted:
28/06/2008 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Try the RAC route planner

bobby10

Message Posted:
29/06/2008 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Hi no problems travalling from england to turkey (from all routs) to tasuso) insurances accept green card in the policeys

(check with your insurance companey) we have had no problems at all accept serbia where you have to pay insurance at the border(small fee) because they are not in the eu. but because we have being in the north of cyprus we still have 12 months insurance so we will be ok FOR NOW.

bobby

brian24001

Message Posted:
29/06/2008 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

If you want to save a lot of potential headaches, drive through the EU to Greece, ferry from Greece to Limassol and enter via the South, then simply drive across the border, no 'Eastern European' problems, no insurance problems, no car impounding on arrival.

Don't foget your spare bulbs (and tools to change them)/first aid kit, and red triangle

brian24001

Message Posted:
29/06/2008 12:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

And BTW, if you get a sat-nav, with Eurpean software, and put in the ferry port for departing Greece, it will tell you the way, and you will probably save the cost in fuel.

ianj774

Message Posted:
02/07/2008 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Hi all, we are travelling UK to Bogaz via Italy- Turkey on 26 July. My insurance company will not let me have a green card. So I will not be covered once we arrive at Cesme. Does any one have an e-mail address for a Turkish insurance company so that I can get covered on-line. Thanks in advance, Ian.

PtePike

Message Posted:
02/07/2008 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

brian,

Which Eastern European problems did you encounter when driving over and which route did you take?

Busy Bees Bogaz

Message Posted:
02/07/2008 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

HI,MARCUS FROM BUSY BEES ESTATE AGENTS.

I TRAVELLED FROM THE UK TO JOIN THE FAMILY BUSINESES IN BOGAZ IN THE BEGINNING OF MAY THIS YEAR.I USED THE FERRY FROM ANCONA TO CESME.WHICH WAS VERY EXPENSIVE,MORE THAN HALF THE COST WAS FOR ACCOMODATION.THE ONLY MEAL INCLUDED WAS B`FAST.ALL OTHER MEALS WERE EXTRA.ALSO,CASH WAS NOT USED ON BOARD.YOU HAD TO CHARGE UP A CARD SUPPLIED ON BOARD TO BE ABLE TO BUY FOOD,DRINKS,ETC.THIS WAS NOT MENTIONED WHEN BOOKING,SO,IF YOU HAD NO CASH AVAILABLE WHILE ON BOARD,YOU COULD NOT BUY ANYTHING!!YOU WERE ALSO UNABLE TO CHARGE THE CARD WITH A DEBIT/CREDIT CARD EITHER!

LOTS OF RED TAPE WHEN ARRIVING IN TURKEY.WAS TOLD THE INSURANCE I TOOK OUT ON ARRIVAL WAS VALID FOR TRNC,BUT WAS NOT THE CASE ON ARRIVAL!

I AGREE WITH ONE OF THE PREVIOUS POSTERS ON THIS TOPIC,THE INSURANCE WHEN YOU ARRIVE IN TRNC IS A COMPLETE RIP OFF,BUT YOU HAVE NO CHOICE UNLESS IT HAS BEEN PREVIOULY ARRANGED.

ALL IN ALL,IT WAS AN EXPERIENCE,NEXT TIME I SHALL DRIVE THE LAND ROUTE,EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT VIEW,SO,I THINK IT IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL TO CHOOSE HOW THEY TRAVEL HERE.

GOOD LUCK!!..................MARCUS

PtePike

Message Posted:
03/07/2008 12:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Marcus,

I agree the land route works out cheaper and is more relaxing and enjoyable. You can take it at your own pace, break your journey etc. You pass through some very interesting places.

brian24001

Message Posted:
03/07/2008 14:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Pikey,

I didn't drive, but I know a man who did.

Couple of problems on the way, but arrived safely in the end.

Have to say it must be a great experience, not one I would do with kids in the car personally, but great experience, and I think if you can take a couple of weeks (or even months, then kids could enjoy it too) to do it and make a holiday of it, would be great fun.

I think in my posting above I was only considering the quickest/easiest option, and certainly not the most interesting.

But, an easier option I know of, ship the car to Limassol, collect it from there, drive straight out of port to border, insurance already arranged, drive home for a g&t and a swim.

ianj774

Message Posted:
06/07/2008 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Busy Bee, please give our regards to Bev. We should arrive Cesme on 28th July. Can you tell me if I can get insurance there and what it should cost. Also how can I arrange insurance for TRNC before we arrive??. Regarding the Ferry, is it expensive for food and drink. Looking forward to being back in Bogaz. Hope that you can help. Thanks Ian.

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
06/07/2008 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

debdebs

i have driven to cyprus from england it is very enjoyable ,but you will encounter

some problems such as fines,make sure you do not speed ,overtake where

you shouln,t ,becouse they will fine you what they like .if they ask you for your

passport ,show it from your car with the window closed,otherwise you will be

at their mercy,if you do get fined always ask for some sort of receipt ,you will

encounter these problems through the eastern europeans countries mostly.

regards

musin

teapot

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Hi All we recently drove to Cyprus from Plymouth, 2650 miles, we took a route off the internet Via Michelin, excellent, went overland on the way out (March) no green card or international passport, but paid for extra insurance en route in Serbia and Turkey, then in Kyrenia for 3 months. lovely trip only hiccup was mad dog jumping at the car in Turkey, police in Bulgaria hiding behind trees to jump out in front of you and say your speeding and ferry from Turkey to Kyrenia which was due to leave at midnight but eventually left at 7 a.m. no sleep so arrived knackered. The border crossing from Bulgaria to Turkey took time, as they do search thoroughly, however have a list of the cars contents in english and as they can't read english we went through quickly. The arrival in Kyrenia is chaotic as no-one tells you what to do or where to go for the stamps etc.Journey Home was via Cesme/Ancona very nice 3 day crossing but expensive then through Venice and Dolomites home, no hotels booked just turned off the main roads at 5 p.m. each day and found lovely places to stay. The journey out took 8 days and home 2 weeks as we went all along the Turkish coastline to Izmir. Have a nice trip it was great, just beaurocratic at the borders, felt sorry for the lorry drivers who take days to get through.

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
11/07/2008 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

HI TEAPOT

bulgaria was horrid ,i dont know where the police jump out of ,i was doing

about 90 through the mountains and out pops a copper holding a lollipop in

his hand ,i nearly killed him then he took almost all my money in fines ,

then the garage owner gave me half the petrol i paid for.then the heavens

opened ,more rain than i thought possible ,then i got screwed at the border

and thats the half of it.

still you got too do it once.

throstle

Message Posted:
12/07/2008 09:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Drove UK to TRNC 2008

Arranged Green Card insurance in UK which covered ALL EU and Turkey and Cyprus (GC side only ofcourse)

Used car ferry Ancona to Turkey (in April) and we thought it was great, perhaps we were lucky - did return in Oct also

The Senior Management will not travel too often on motorways so had a good holiday on the way

Visited Ephesos for 1 week on return (had car done over) our fault really left to much luggage on show

Never paid for a coffee in Turkey, they wouldn't let us and the hotel was 5* for a 2* price

We would recommend driving over to TRNC to anyone great experiance

Were considering doing it again

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.