North Cyprus Tourist Board - Plant a tree and let North Cyprus fight global warming
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Plant a tree and let North Cyprus fight global warming

Plant a tree and let North Cyprus fight global warming

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Rental Guide

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

sydney

Message Posted:
23/06/2007 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 88 in Discussion

We all know the summer is here and the heat is intensifying. But lately, the seasons have altered forcefully due to the factor of "Global Warming". So as Cypriots and foreigners settled here in North Cyprus, we have to do the best we can to contribute for the betterment of environment. And the best gift to do that, i personally think, is planting more trees in around where we live. The benefits are plenty and are listed below:

Trees alter the environment in which we live by moderating climate, improving air quality, conserving water, and harbouring wildlife. Climate control is obtained by moderating the effects of sun, wind, and rain. Radiant energy from the sun is absorbed or deflected by leaves on deciduous trees in the summer and is only filtered by branches of deciduous trees in winter. We are cooler when we stand in the shade of trees and are not exposed to direct sunlight. In winter, we value the sun’s radiant energy. Therefore, we should plant only small or deciduous trees on the south side of homes.

Wind speed and direction can be affected by trees. The more compact the foliage on the tree or group of trees, the greater the influence of the windbreak. The downward fall of rain, sleet, and hail is initially absorbed or deflected by trees, which provides some protection for people, pets, and buildings. Trees intercept water, store some of it, and reduce storm runoff and the possibility of flooding.

Dew and frost are less common under trees because less radiant energy is released from the soil in those areas at night.

Temperature in the vicinity of trees is cooler than that away from trees. The larger the tree, the greater the cooling. By using trees in the cities, we are able to moderate the heat-island effect caused by pavement and buildings in commercial areas.

Air quality can be improved through the use of trees, shrubs, and turf. Leaves filter the air we breathe by removing dust and other particulates. Rain then washes the pollutants to the ground. Leaves absorb carbon dioxide from the air to form carbohydrates that are used in the plant’s structure and function. In this process, leaves also absorb other air pollutants—such as ozone, carbon monoxide, and sulfur dioxide—and give off oxygen.

By planting trees and shrubs, we return to a more natural, less artificial environment. Birds and other wildlife are attracted to the area. The natural cycles of plant growth, reproduction, and decomposition are again present, both above and below ground. Natural harmony is restored to the urban environment.

The easiest way to contribute to the reduction of global warming is planting trees. Think about it and feel proud to plant one to see it grow infront of your eyes. North Cyprus deserves to be protected!

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
23/06/2007 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 88 in Discussion

Very very interesting Sydney

Which specific category of tree do you recommend? I would love to grow olive trees but I understand I will not be alive by the time they flourish?

How long does it take for carob trees to grow? The fruit from these trees provide lots of minerals and vitamins and can taste fairly similar to chocolate.

sydney

Message Posted:
25/06/2007 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 88 in Discussion

Hello ilovecyprus, thank you for taking interest in my topic. Well, to be honest i am not a great gardener, but i can give you some advise on Carob Tree. I have gathered some information about the tree.

Prior to planting Carob, pre-soak the seed in warm water for approximately 24hrs. This species prefers sandy loams, medium loam and clay loam soils but can tolerate poorer soil conditions including rocky areas. Good drainage and full to semi-sun is also prefered if the species is to grow well. Carob will tolerate pH in the range 6.2 to 8.6. This species is extremely drought resistant and irrigation is not required. It is also free of many pests and diseases, however it is susceptible to Texas Root Rot. After the plant has established itself it requires little maintenance except form pruning to encourage a single stem if required.

The carob tree has been grown since antiquity in most countries of the Mediterranean basin, usually in mild and dry places with poor soils. Its value was recognized by the ancient Greeks, who brought it from its native Middle East to Greece and Italy, and by the Arabs, who disseminated it along the North African coast and north into Spain and Portugal. It was spread in recent times to other Mediterranean-like regions such as California, Arizona, Mexico, Chile and Argentina by Spanish, to parts of Australia by Mediterranean emigrants and to South Africa and India by the English.

Carob has been neglected with respect to both cultural practices and research and development. This project explores the production of ethylalcohol from carob, which could be used as an “alternative biofuel”. This is a new prospect for carob utilisation which could be combined with the other uses of carob tree and of carob fruit.

Happy planting!

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/06/2007 18:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 88 in Discussion

Thanks Sydney

ttoli

Message Posted:
25/06/2007 22:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 88 in Discussion

Could always give a home to an established Olive tree, removed from a building site or road widening scheme http://www.olivetreeproject.com , from personal experience,do not pave under the tree or have it close to a pool, paving is porous and stains, have tried bleach and various strengths of acid but it wont budge an olive stain. and you have the added bonus of plenty of olives come harvest time(OCT-NOV).

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/06/2007 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 88 in Discussion

Thanks ttoti. you are a gem for having local knowledge

sydney

Message Posted:
26/06/2007 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 88 in Discussion

hey ttoli, that's a great idea, i wonder why i didn't think of that! Maybe because it didn't help increase the tree population to fight global warming. But still is a good idea and i totally approve it. It would make ilovecyprus happy because if he goes for it, he dosen't have to wait a lifetime to see an olive tree in his garden. There's something special about olive trees. Feels like they are talking to you, telling you all about the history of this island!

shona2

Message Posted:
26/06/2007 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 88 in Discussion

Hi All,

I am in total agreement that we should all be doing our bit to help fight global warming. Look at the weather here in the UK, floods in Sheffield!! I shall definately be planting a new tree in my garden in TRNC also is there any recycling measures in place over there? Here in Essex we have been recycling our rubbish for years and it is a habit now to seperate all plastic, glass and cardboard for when the bin men come. ( I think they are called Rubbish Technitions now!!).

Shona

Bradus

Message Posted:
26/06/2007 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 88 in Discussion

Greetings from flooded Sheffield! Where there is no longer a flower in sight. Praying for some of that cyprus sunshine.

ttoli

Message Posted:
26/06/2007 19:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 88 in Discussion

Sorry Sydney, you could have worded your opening line a bit better, put it like this if those trees aren't rescued, they,like those dug up for the new By-pass will wither and die

sydney

Message Posted:
27/06/2007 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 88 in Discussion

Sad to see all that flooding in UK. My friend who comes from South Yorkshire said he never ever saw anything like this before. There's only one reason for this and its global warming. We must act now or it will be too late. Whether you want to plant a new one or save the existing ones anywhere you are in the world, do it right now. Don't wait as it is the most important thing for anybody to do, if we want to save this planet from destruction.

A little prayer for UK people who are affected by floods...sun will shine soon!

sydney

Message Posted:
27/06/2007 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 88 in Discussion

hi shona2, i am not sure if there is any recycling measures in place over here!!! if anyone knows about it, please enlighten.

sydney

Message Posted:
27/06/2007 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 88 in Discussion

Hello everyone, i found this interesting information on how to plant certain trees that grow very fast in hot climates.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drought-tolerant Chitalpa tree (Chitalpa x tashkentensis) will grow 2 feet or more every year to a mature height of 25 to 30 feet. It has an open branching structure and casts a dappled shade. This heat-loving tree blooms with pink, white or lavender flowers all summer long. Low water usage after it is established.

---

Another fast grower is the majestic Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia). It can reach 30 feet tall within 5 years and ultimately grow to a height of 40 to 60 feet. It has a graceful weeping shape at maturity. Can be planted in a lawn where it will receive regular irrigation, but also does well with less watering.

---

The Desert Willow (Chilopsis Linearis) grows fast and produces pink orchid-like flowers all summer long. Come autumn, however, messy seed-pods develop. Its cousin, the Chitalpa tree is a better choice unless you are a native plant purist.

---

The Nichol’s Willow-leaf Peppermint tree (Eucalyptus nicholii) also has a weeping shape. Again, you can count on growth of 2 feet or more per year with this low-water usage Eucalyptus which grows to 50 feet tall. The flowers are small, the seed pods small, too. The bark is reddish-brown and the leaves, when crushed, smell like peppermint! Be sure to add iron chelate, such as Kerex, to the soil around this tree in spring and fall. Many other eucalyptus grow rapidly, too.

---

The pyramid-shaped Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos) grows 3 or 4 feet a year to a mature height of 35 to 75 feet tall. Its bright green leaves are ferny so it does not cast a lot of shade allowing a lawn to grow beneath it. The downside for this drought-tolerant tree is that there are sharp thorns on the trunk and branches so it should not be planted in an area where children or animals might bump up against it.

---

Not only do Fig trees (Ficus carica) grow rapidly to 20 to 30 feet, they have big leaves which cast dark shade. The fig produces delicious fruit and is not particular about soil quality. The 'Black Mission' and 'Brown Turkey' are good varieties for the desert. Most produce two crops of figs per year and need regular watering, especially when the fruit is growing. Be sure to ask at your nursery how tall a specific variety will grow. Some trees are much larger than others. You may need to control the size by pruning.

---

If you want gnarled gray bark, very bright green, ferny leaves, and gracefully drooping branches, the California Pepper tree (Schinus molle) could be a tree for you. But be sure to plant it away from paving as its roots crawl along near the surface. Small white flowers in summer give way to rosy color berries in the Fall. Their leaves look bright green and healthy even under drought conditions, but what really happens is that while the leaves stay green, their branches may hollow out and when the wind comes the branches snap off. Moderate water usage is recommended.

---

The name Mesquite Tree (Prosopis) instantly brings up images of cowboys and the Old West. These trees grow very fast and definitely prefer little water after they are established. In fact, if you plant your mesquite in a lawn it will grow tall and lush with a very shallow root system -- and may very likely blow over with the first strong windstorm. Infrequent, deep watering is best because it encourages the roots to go deep into the soil. The Argentine Mesquite (Prosopis alba), shown, is among the fastest growing.

---

Hope you do find all these or some of the varieties in our Northern Cyprus gardening centres!

sydney

Message Posted:
29/06/2007 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 88 in Discussion

hi ttoli, i know the way the trees here are being destroyed in the name of development is hard to digest. But since they are not saving the trees, we have to plant more and that way we can increase the populaton of trees. For one tree going down (which is a shameful crime in this global warming situations), we should plant five trees for the future of our children. Maybe we should start a campaign and plant trees in every house in North Cyprus!

Lets-tree-on

Oknala

Message Posted:
01/07/2007 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 88 in Discussion

We have 'communal' gardens where I am, but doing my bit by taking any water I can (from washing up etc) down to the small garden (with one tree) around my small place - do get some funny looks though, but the tree we've got (seems a type of pine?) doing v well, thank you

sydney

Message Posted:
04/07/2007 08:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 88 in Discussion

you are doing a great job and don't worry if anyone gives you funny looks, they will all learn soon enough. You must be awarded a prize for that and be proud to be the first among the lot. happy watering and hurray to greenery...

sydney

Message Posted:
07/07/2007 15:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 88 in Discussion

The Oldest Tree in the world!

The Guinness Book of World Records currently lists a 12,000 year old California redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) named "Eternal God" as the oldest tree on earth. Previously, the "Methuselah" Bristlecone Pine (Pinus longaeva) held the record at about 4,700 years.

sydney

Message Posted:
07/07/2007 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 88 in Discussion

Cyprus’ oldest tree has stood in Limassol for 1,500 years

For 1,500 years, what is thought to be Cyprus’ oldest tree, a Pistacia atlantica, has stood in the mountainous village of Apesia, north of Limassol.

Some claim there are olives trees in Cyprus that have been around since Jesus, but Forestry Officer Takis Papachristoforou said that the Forestry Department believes the Apesia pistacia, though neither the broadest in branch coverage, nor the stoutest, is the country’s oldest tree.

sydney

Message Posted:
16/07/2007 08:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 88 in Discussion

A tree a day will keep the pollution away!

sydney

Message Posted:
23/07/2007 11:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 88 in Discussion

It was a sad day for me and all the tree lovers as i saw a full grown fig tree was cut down for building a house. Where will it all end! Wish people were a bit more sensible towards the nature as it gives so much to us. Most of us are fighting for property which is not really doing much apart from sheltering where as trees support us in many ways. The first thing that comes to everybody's mind when the sun is red hot - getting under a tree's shade, just like a good friend who resuces you from trouble. Stop cutting trees down and plant more please....

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
23/07/2007 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 88 in Discussion

Thats bad news Sydney. I guess a fig tree will take years and years to grow to full size.

Is it possible to move a tree of that size to another location?

suntanman

Message Posted:
23/07/2007 18:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 88 in Discussion

Thought I must add something to this thread.

We are purchasing in TRNC (blind, over the internet)

When we received the first pictures of our plot, at foundation level, we were horrified to see a huge tree directly in front of our apartment. We have been in constant communication with our developers ( Evergreen) regarding the possible removal of the tree, as we selfishly thought that it would spoil our view, but after visiting the site to see for ourselves, thank goodness it is there. It will not only give us some shade, but it enhances the look to the front of our apartment block. We did come to a mutual agreement to keep both ourselves, Evergreen and the government happy (it is illegal to cut a tree down in N Cyprus) by having the tree pruned, this will also promote new growth to a very old tree, which I am sure will still be there long after I've gone.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
23/07/2007 18:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 88 in Discussion

Well done Suntanman.

I know the English Salesman (think his name is Darren) at Evergreens is really passionate about saving trees. I think he set up an olive tree preservation club. When I was looking at properties with him, he was going 'bananas' at the thought of one of the builders accidently knocking down an olive tree.

suntanman

Message Posted:
23/07/2007 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 88 in Discussion

ilovecyprus

Almost right with the name....

There's a very interesting website on the tree preservation society you mentioned. http://www.olivetreeproject.com

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
23/07/2007 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 88 in Discussion

I remembered, it's Daniel

breezyboy

Message Posted:
24/07/2007 14:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Sydney,

All the info you have given is really interesting and backs up my actions when i bought my villa in Nov 05. I picked the one site in a large field which had a large cyprus pine of generous proportions. I then had a stipulation put into my contract that the developers couldnt remove it or cut it. Perhaps if any other buyers off plan insist on developers keeping trees then many can be saved.

This has now left a great area between the house and pool for shade and avoided the possible destruction of a great tree.

We have already planned to put a number of other trees in the back garden to create another shady area.

BB

sydney

Message Posted:
26/07/2007 08:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 88 in Discussion

I am so happy to hear that some of you are making efforts to save the trees. Every little helps as the tescos says. I am not sure whether one can move fig tree ilovecyprus, maybe they can. It was a lovely tree, big and used to give us lovely shade. We need to save these trees by any means possible. I agree with suntanman, if every buyer makes an agreement to keep the trees, we have achieved so much. Even better as breezyboy suggests, put a stipulation in your contract and then no one can touch it. Imagine all those olive trees surrounding your house or apartments, so beautiful. Keep planting more trees breezy boy because the nature is ever so greatful to people who care.

In TRNC, it is illegal to cut trees down. But i wonder how may follow this law. If anyone see a tree being cut down, call the police please.

sydney

Message Posted:
05/08/2007 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 88 in Discussion

I was driving around Kayalar area west of Kyrenia and was so happy to see the best part of Cyprus still remaining intact with olive & carob trees all around. This is how Cyprus was even in the middle of the town five years ago. So anyone interested to see the good old Cyprus, go outskirts and enjoy the views to die for. Don't forget to stop by the local restaurant for a drink to keep them going and plant more trees please. cheers

sydney

Message Posted:
25/08/2007 08:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 88 in Discussion

hello everyone, what are these curious things hanging on the palm trees lined up on our streets, anyone has any light to shed on them.

By the way, the heat was tremendous this week, so to cool it next year, plant more trees.....

angelina

Message Posted:
25/08/2007 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 88 in Discussion

What a lot of wonderful information everyone and Sydney especially. Thank you.

I think the developers need approaching as the one where I am purchasing seemed truly amazed when I forbade him to remove the mimosa 'hedge' along the road-side boundary to our 'plot' in Esentepe. I guess it is easier for them to bulldoze away anything which gets in the way of the 'flat earth plan'.

How can one approach all developers in one swoop? Is there a builders federation or chamber of commerce perhaps?

sydney

Message Posted:
28/08/2007 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 88 in Discussion

hi angelina, there is ofcousre a builders federation and chamber of commerce in North Cyprus. I am sure all the tree lovers can put in a petition to let them know about how to save trees rather than just bulldozing them to build . The law says one cannot cut any tree unless it is absolutely necessary and if someone cuts it down, they can be arrested and put in prison. I am glad you managed to save mimosa. It should encourage more people to follow suit. And now that you are got your own plot, plant few trees. good luck

sydney

Message Posted:
06/09/2007 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 88 in Discussion

It seems the Girne Belediye is on tree planting spree....i can see all around the town Bay leaf saplings mushrooming....wonderful as they will grow into beautiful trees and not to forget the lovely shade they will provide to all the residents and tourists in the summer heat...Put plenty of water if there is one planted opposite to your house please...give them chance to grow and give you back some wonderful benefits....Lets go greeeeeeeeeeeeen

sydney

Message Posted:
20/09/2007 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 88 in Discussion

We need more trees and more trees fast as global warming is talking its toll on the planet. Let us contribute for the betterment of the world by planting a tree as we need as many as possible....a home with a tree is paradise on earth, just like Cyprus....think about it!

davidoff

Message Posted:
20/09/2007 15:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 88 in Discussion

Hi all,

Cant remember where I read it on another forum site but apparently they had to halt the building of the TATLISU- KARPAZ coastal road because they were cutting down too many trees!!

And the construction company went back to turkey- but are now back as they came to an agreement that they would replant a tree next to the road for everyone they cut down!!

Has anyone else heard this aswell-or is it heresay???

See ya D

sydney

Message Posted:
21/09/2007 10:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 88 in Discussion

It is an absolute shame to cut trees down without any thought...but i am glad to hear that they will replant. Thanks for the info davidoff..if i get to know anything more on it, i will post it for all of us to read....

If only people begin to think, trees are are compulsory....the world will heal faster...and survive

sydney

Message Posted:
30/09/2007 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 88 in Discussion

Hi ALL, i was up at Esentepe and there were some properties with Olive trees growing in the middle of the Patios...looked lovelly and beautiful. But the truth is they have been left to grow wildly because of no one occupying the properties. Seems like nature winning the battle, kind of joy for tree lovers like me and the rest who support the cause. So plant a tree, it doesnt matter if it is in the garden or patio...its your choice

sydney

Message Posted:
15/10/2007 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 88 in Discussion

Has anyone planted some trees lately!!!!! If not, please do so.....with love

simbas

Message Posted:
15/10/2007 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 88 in Discussion

yes we planted 6 trees on our property while we were there last month, not sure what they were. i dare say we shall find out in time !!

regards simbas

sydney

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Simbas, you should be given an award for doing that, it is a rarity to see people plant some these days. Anyway, goodluck and look after them as they will look after you one day....

All you out there, take simbas as example and plant few trees in your property to make a difference to Cyprus and the only World we got!

breezyboy

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Sydney,

Perhaps we can get a list of places to buy trees put on this forum with notes about which are the hardy ones that dont need looking after.Maybe even a few guideline prices may help people to make up their minds and plant more trees.

UKTurk is our man, he is a mine of information on TRNC.

I would like to plant many more trees if Evergreen ever get round to finishing my house.

Regards

Breezyboy

ukturk

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 88 in Discussion

hi there breezyboy

thank you for your compliments

i thought you was going to ask me about what is the best fern to buy in cyprus which i have not got a clue off!!!! L.O.L only kidding

well below is a list of garden centres that sell trees and plants

buket garden centre located in alsancak opposite green petrol

tel no: 0533 833 3978 english speaking

kamelaya garden centre located in ozankoy at the bellapis roundabout

tel no: 0392 815 1519 mobile: 0533 860 2570 english speaking

Green Garden centre located in Karaoglanoglu tel no: 0392 815 7571

thats my lot guys i hope this helps you all and i must say i take my hat of to all you guys taking an interest in cyprus's global warming effect and in planting trees around north cyprus keep up the good work!!!!!

breezyboy

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 88 in Discussion

Hi ukturk,

Thanks for the help.

BB

lovelife

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 88 in Discussion

I am glad to say our builder is building the 10 houses on our site and is leaving the trees he does not need to remove, so I will have 2/3 trees in my garden before I even start planting.

sydney

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 21:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 88 in Discussion

Keep up the good work guys, thank you for all the info and supporting the cause, cheers...

sydney

Message Posted:
06/11/2007 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 88 in Discussion

It seems the Kyrenia Belediye is going beserk with Bay leaf saplings all over the town...but its great to see nice green plants growing healthy and fighting Global warming in Cyprus. Hope they all survive and grow into healthy big beautiful trees...i guess we need it with the sun still shining bright and hot...Is winter ever coming around or are we in Australia!!! Cheers and plant more trees please

sydney

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 09:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 88 in Discussion

hi guys, now that the winter has arrived, its time to get your trees trimmed and wait for the spring to arrive. Its a long way to spring, i know, but just an excuse for me to remind you to plant more trees...cheers

sydney

Message Posted:
17/01/2008 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 88 in Discussion

Hurray, my lime plants from India are surviving the cold winter....they are not used to such cold weather. I bought some seeds and sowed them in my pots. the result was a huge success, hehehe....Anything to help global warming.

So guys any news on new measures being taken to fight global warming in North Cyprus, keep me posted! Cheers

Milou

Message Posted:
17/01/2008 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Sydney

This is definetely one sight I'll be bookmarking - I agree that planting trees is the best way to preserve our environment and although I've bought into a complex I will do everything I can to ensure that trees are grown and will certainly be plainting trees down my ravine, where there's lots of space and smaller ones by the house. I also heard that the carob tree is supposed to have some anti cancer enzymes and that local people often brewe tea from the pods!

Good work and well done.

simbas

Message Posted:
17/01/2008 17:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 88 in Discussion

hi milou is that the carob tree with a pod , that a kind of chocolate bar is made of ? they have them in the car park at bella pais monastry

regards pat

Milou

Message Posted:
17/01/2008 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Simbas

Yes, apparently you open the pod up and brewe the seeds inside and yes, it does look a bit like a chocolate bar and it has a liquorice taste- I tried sucking on one but found it was too bitter but I am definitely going to try to brewe some of this magic up!

Also girls (girls only) don't forget that cactus plant juice is also a magic treatment for skins - you break a piece off, paste your face with it but only leave it for approx. 10 - 15 minutes - I left mine all day and ended up with a slight rash and yellowish skin! Although it's not good to keep breaking off pieces of cactus plant -now that this secret's out, I hope there's a plant left for me when I get there!

Regards

lovelife

Message Posted:
17/01/2008 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 88 in Discussion

Does the Aloe vera plant grow in NC?

I snap bits off mine when my eczema is troublesome.

LL

Milou

Message Posted:
18/01/2008 15:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 88 in Discussion

Lovelife

I might be wrong, but I assumed that the aloe vera plant is the same as a cactus plant - the sap from the cactus is what they call aloe vera?

Regards

lovelife

Message Posted:
18/01/2008 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 88 in Discussion

Milou

I am not sure the plant I have is called an aoe vera plant, it does look like a cactus though.

LL

Milou

Message Posted:
19/01/2008 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 88 in Discussion

Lovelife

I've looked at the Wikipedia site and it states that aloe vera is a succulant like a cactus but it has long, grey green leaves that grows straight up from the ground but they're part of the same family as the green spiky cactus.

Regarfds

p.s. I've asked Izzit to let us have a separate folder for plants

lovelife

Message Posted:
19/01/2008 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 88 in Discussion

Milou

thanks

Yes a folder for us plant lovers/ potential gardeners would be a good idea.

Have a good wekend

LL

Milou

Message Posted:
19/01/2008 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 88 in Discussion

Lovellife

I've started my good weekend - our 36th wedding anniversary on Monday - hubby says it's more than two life sentences! I am devastated and can't understand why!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

p.s. We should start up a tree growing association and press TRNC governemnt to make it compulsory on every unit being built!

p.p.s. Lovelife - also wonderful for skin is Emu oil - I use it instead of moisturisers and make Keith use it when he gets any flareups! If no, try coconut oil instead of moisturiser - just as good

Regards

lovelife

Message Posted:
20/01/2008 15:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 88 in Discussion

Milou

Many congratulations on reaching 36 years, we will be celebrating 25 in September.

Thanks for the tips I will look out for the oils.

LL

sydney

Message Posted:
28/01/2008 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Guys,

Thank you for posting interesting tips about plants and environment. Just remember that we all benefit from them in many ways and we need to plant more to save this world from Global warming.

Aloe Vera dose not grow in Cyprus as it needs different climate! Cheers

Milou

Message Posted:
29/01/2008 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 88 in Discussion

Sydney - No Aloe Vera! How do you propose I stay young and beautiful forever?

As my unit is still being built, is there an easy way of getting the shower water upstairs and bath water downstairs into a barrel to be able to use this water for the garden? Should I be buying a special pump? Is anyone else doing this? I've also been trying to gauge wheher NC is having enough rain this season compared to previous seasons but can't find anything on google?

Regards

jakki

Message Posted:
29/01/2008 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 88 in Discussion

Congratulations Moira - 36 years!!!

I am a bit of an addict when it comes to pots and plants. You can count of me to plant a tree on our site. Looking forward to hearing about saving water. Sydney it's over to you!!

simbas

Message Posted:
29/01/2008 11:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 88 in Discussion

hi sydney, how tall and what spread does the lime trees grow to ?

many thanks simbas

lovelife

Message Posted:
29/01/2008 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 88 in Discussion

Folks

I was wondering whether there were any gardening associations out in NC as there appear to be a number of us that are keen on plants, trees etc, then I came accross the gardening club, it is at the top in the extensive tags posted, there is also a blog posted.

LL

Milou

Message Posted:
01/02/2008 11:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Guys

Found this on the gardening site but as it's to do with trees, I thought I would post it here as well.

Regards

We are pleased to say we are be having an inaugral meeting of the proposed North Cyprus Gardening Club on Thursday 15 March at 2.00pm at The Five Fingers Restaurant, Ozankoy. After an initial introduction to discover what everyone hopes they may get out of the Club, we will be having a talk by Patricia Jordan, author of The Potted Garden and The Cyprus Garden, so we hope it will be an informative day. We anticipate quite a lot of interest so would appreciate it if you could let us know if you will attend so we may reserve your place.

Look forward to seeing you soon

Alex

Tel 0533 8458278 0533 8458279

alex.main@sunnycyprus.net

Barrovian1

Message Posted:
01/02/2008 12:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 88 in Discussion

Anybody know were you can buy a jar of Carab?. I fancy trying it.

Bob

Milou

Message Posted:
01/02/2008 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 88 in Discussion

Bob

I don't know whether you can actually buy it in a jar - I was told to make a brewe from it.

Regards

butterfly

Message Posted:
01/02/2008 14:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 88 in Discussion

golf course doing ıt's bit......

Korineum off-sets it’s carbon footprint – with ease!

Korineum Golf and Country Club sits on a piece of land

historically occupied by pıne and olıve woodland. By planting trees that

are native to these types of woodlands, we can protect the

long term sustainability of the remnant woodlands on the

course and create a sense of environmental continuity. We

are proposing a tree-planting initiative that will not only help

to bolster and restore biodiversity to the course, but provide

safety buffers and ambience that will help our customers to

have a safer and more enjoyable recreational experience. Currently we have planted ın excess of 650 new trees wıth a further 400 to follow wıthın the next week. The trees were generously donated to Korineum by The Department of Forestry. All

of the trees we are proposing to plant are indigenous to the area.

Due to the fact that these species have

evolved here, their adaptability and survival rates are much

higher than those of most non-native tree species. While

non-native tree species can be both beautiful and

interesting, they can become invasive by producing

prodigious amounts of offspring and crowding out native plant species that resident and

migratory wildlife have depended on for thousands of years.

The restoration process has, thus far, consisted

of “naturalizing” areas of unused rough.

The naturalized areas will eventually evolve into diverse

prairie and savannah that will support a wide variety of

wildlife and provide points of interest on the course contrasting with the relatively dull

monoculture of turfgrass that currently exists. It is not possible to have an uninterrupted

naturalized area so the trees will serve as a sort of “habitat highway”, a mechanism for

wildlife to move safely and securely from one area to another. As we start to look more

closely at our golf course and reevaluate our use of available space, we can start looking at it as an ecosystem and not merely as a playground. Maintaining a healthy, diverse collection of trees is an important aspect of sustainable, responsıble golf course management.

Barrovian1

Message Posted:
01/02/2008 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Milou

Somebody told us that you can buy it in jars in a supermarket in the centre of Ozankoy. Last time that we were there in Dec/Jan we tried to find it, with no luck. When you say a brewe, do you mean home made beer?

Cheers

Bob.

Milou

Message Posted:
01/02/2008 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Bob

Yes, you brewe it like tea bags but leave much longer - I wasn't excactly told how long but assume an hour would be ok.

Regards

sydney

Message Posted:
14/02/2008 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for sharing more information and contributing towards the cause. A big round of applause for Korineum Golf and Country Club please. Good work butterfly.

Simbas, The Lime is a small tree, crooked and prickly, only reaching as a rule a height of 8 feet. If you need anymore info, just google. I miss them, they are so tasty and we get a soft drink in India called Limca..yummy!

Good luck on finding that jar of Carob..keep writing and it helps to save our only globe, cheers

Milou

Message Posted:
14/02/2008 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 88 in Discussion

Butterly

thanks for your post - I'll be going to the golf course to see what type of trees are good for growing.

Regards

sydney

Message Posted:
18/03/2008 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 88 in Discussion

Hey Everybody, Spring is on the way or is it already there!...so plant more saplings and let the nature flourish to protect us from the global warming.

I found this really interesting article by Jonathan Ya'akobi on Searchwrap.com about a fruit tree which can be grown in Mediterranean..enjoy reading..i am not sure if you can find it in North Cyprus! Anyone Knows!

- If you’re looking for a small fruit tree to add to your garden, and you live in an arid, mild winter climate, it could be worth your while considering the virtues of the Pineapple Guava, Feijoa sellowiana . It is a plant which produces an abundance of tasty fruit, and as an attractive ornamental, can contribute handsomely to a garden composition.

The fruit of the Feijoa is both delicious and nutritious. It has an intriguing sweet-sour taste and a kind of chewy texture. It is apparently rich in vitamin c and minerals. As a healthy plant produces massive amounts of fruit, you can either make yourself popular with your neighbors by giving a lot away, or you can prepare jams, cakes, wines and liquors. Both the fruit and the plant as a whole are relatively hardy to pests and disease, at least in Mediterranean climates. Pineapple Guava is basically a large evergreen shrub. As such it functions well as a screen and informal hedge. Needless to say, shearing it as a trimmed hedge will prevent the bush flowering and producing fruit. By virtue of its medium leaf texture, it associates well with shrubs and trees like Viburnum, Pomegranate, Olive and Pitanga. Feijoa can also be trained to grow horizontally on a wall or fence, a technique known as espaliering, and can be shaped into a dwarf tree. In this way, the plant in age assumes an impressive sculptural quality, as its twisted, gnarled branches are exposed.

Care and growing requirements

Actually, Feijoa sellowiana does not originate from a Mediterranean climate, but from sub-tropical South America . It is nonetheless easy to grow in Mediterranean climates. It is hardy to about -3c or so, and has modest water needs, requiring some 300 mm per year of irrigation, possibly less, providing reasonable rainfall occurs during the winter. Feijoa can be grown successfully in either heavy or light soils, as long as they have adequate drainage. The one limiting factor is chalky soil. As the plant suffers therefore in highly alkaline conditions, it will benefit from additions of large quantities of compost, as this regulates the soil pH, making it more neutral in the acidic-alkaline scale. As gardeners in dry, arid climates, we should always be on the look out for plants that combine together a number of functions. When that plant, also happens to be suited to our sort of climate, and can be grown within the confines of a water budget, you know that you have a fine candidate. The dwarf fruit tree, Feijoa sellowiana, is one such plant. -

Hope you all tree lovers liked this article, Cheers

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
18/03/2008 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 88 in Discussion

We want to plant various fruit trees in our garden. Our soil is sandy rather than the nice red soil. We have successfully managed to keep a pomegranate tree alive (now entering its 3rd summer) and think we can now grow a few more fruits.

We'd like to plant grapefruit, orange and apricot. Does anyone know the best chances of survival and the best time of year to plant.

Failing that what are the best types to grow in an exposed position (Esentepe = windy hill/ridge!)

Karen

sydney

Message Posted:
18/03/2008 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Karen, I got some info for you on how to grow Citrus trees. Hope it helps you. Good luck

Tips on Citrus Trees

Position and Soil Condition Requirements:

Citrus prefer a hot, sunny spot, preferably with shelter from strong winds. They can tolerate cold and frosty winter conditions. Good drainage is essential as they will not tolerate waterlogging at the roots. Citrus prefer free draining sandy loam soil with a pH close to neutral. If you are planting in heavy clay soils, consider planting in a raised mound of conditioned soil. An application of lime to acidic soils in the early stages of soil cultivation is a good idea. Spacing of citrus trees is usually 3-4m from any other tree.

Planting

Citrus can be planted all year round. Planting is quite simple. Dig a large hole, 2x3 times the size of the pot. Incorporate 20 L of organic matter / composted poultry manure and 200 g of blood and bone. Blood and bone should be set into the bottom of the hole with a layer of soil over the top, NOT in direct contact with the roots. When removing the tree from the pot, see that there is minimal disturbance around the root ball. Set the tree into the hole at the same level as the surrounding soil and fill in, firming as you go. When hole is half filled with soil add a bucket of water to settle the soil in the bottom of the hole. Water well and keep moist while settling in. Mulch heavily. This initial application of fertilizer is sufficient for the first few months.

Management:

Take off any fruit for the first two years as the priority is the development of a good root system. The ground should be kept clear of other plants to the drip line of the tree. Fertilizer application should be spread out to the drip line and then mulched. Citrus have a high Nitrogen requirement. It is best to give them a good fast acting balanced fertilizer in late winter or early spring (after harvest and before the spring flush). An application of organic matter / compost / cow manure in the late summer is also recommended as this is slow release. It is important to water your tree before and after fertilizing.

Watering:

The soil surrounding the citrus should ideally be soaked twice weekly during establishment. Watering during flowering and fruit set is the most important. Deep watering once a wek is usually sufficient with more regular watering during hot and windy conditions.

Pruning:

Citrus pruning can be limited to skirting (pruning lower branches to 30-40cm), pruning any rootstock suckers, any deadwood and long water shoots.

Pests and Diseases

Scale and sooty mould can be treated with White oil. Citrus Leaf Miner (usually active from Nov-May) can cause distortion of the young leaves. It is clearly identified by the silvery trails on the distorted leaves. The affect is usually only asthetic but a severe infection can impact the vigor of the trees vegetative growth. The breeding cycle can be interrupted by removing and destroying the affected leaves. Can be controlled with white oil application. Broad mites, causing curling, puckering and bronzing of the leaves can be controlled with wettable sulphur. Aphids, Mites and Mealy bugs can be controlled by a soap spray application such as Natrasoap. Citrus gall wasp should be controlled by removing and destroying the affected wood during July-Aug.

Planting Citrus in Containers:

Citrus trees on the dwarfing Flying Dragon rootstock and the less vigorous Trifoliata rootstock are ideal for container grown trees. These make an attractive and fruitful addition to smaller gardens and can be used as a feature plant in a mediterranean garden.

Plant as many as possible, cheers

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
18/03/2008 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 88 in Discussion

Sydney

Many thanks for that.

Karen

Wobble

Message Posted:
25/03/2008 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 88 in Discussion

hey Sydney, I am all for planting more trees and i support your cause all the way. Let me know if you need anything from me. I will do my best to contribute towards this cause. Good luck

Cheers

sydney

Message Posted:
05/05/2008 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 88 in Discussion

Hello All,

Cyprus is on the verge of being declared drought hit country. I was passing through the reservoir west of Kyrenia and shockingly it has almost dried out. It is unbelievable because from past few years around this time of every year the reservoir is overflowing as the rains fill it up in January and February. It is reminder to us that we need to plant more trees and help as much as possible when we use so much from nature.

So please keep up the planting and help each other

cheers

breezyboy

Message Posted:
05/05/2008 14:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Sydney

Now at the garden planning stage and my wife and daughter have just sent off the plans for what they want. 9 fruit trees plus one large palm plus 20-30 conifers.Plus of course our huge old cyprus pine which we had preserved and .

which is being cleaned and pruned.

When we were there 4 weeks ago talking to the gardener my wife was talking about lemon, lime and pomegranate. Why pomegranate I said as I was passing. Why not they said. Cos pomegranate doesnt go in gin and tonics I said!

Keep up the good work

Breezyboy

sydney

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 17:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 88 in Discussion

Hello All,

i am back in Cyprus after a nice break in India. And i just missed the Monsoons. The trees are all happy now just like the farmers in India who await the rains. I wish the same happens in Cyprus! Anway, keep planting and watering them as our children need to see this planet green and clean. I have two new addtions to my garden: two citrus trees, two olive trees. So keep me posted if you have any new additions...take care and happy planting, cheers

joandjelly

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 19:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Sydney

I was interested that you said that aloe vera does not grow here. I have one in my garden and it is thriving. It's great for sunburn and insect bites by the way although it stinks a bit like cabbage when you rub it on. Anyway, we have planted 4 trees this year; lime, tangerine, nectarine and bay. We also have 6 other fruit trees and a long line of pine trees. The builder originally offered to cut them down but we said no way!!

Jo

rcroton

Message Posted:
16/06/2008 09:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 88 in Discussion

We have loads of aloe vera in our garden, the stuff just keeps growing!

sydney

Message Posted:
17/06/2008 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 88 in Discussion

Wow,

that's news to me that Aloe Vera grows here. Well, it's good that it can be grown here..Thank you for sharing that information with me and all the other members. I never tried it myself. I bought an Aloe Vera moisturising lotion by Vaseline from India and it is great.

So, keep planting guys and keep more information coming in as we need these green friends to keep our planet alive. Cheers

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
17/06/2008 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 88 in Discussion

we also have loads, sometimes can be a real pest, as baby ones appear up to 2 metres away from the parent!!

joandjelly - where do you cut them to use them for bites? do you cut the tip off or something?

rcroton

Message Posted:
17/06/2008 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 88 in Discussion

Question regarding olive trees, i take it the organisation running the website mentoned above is totally out of business. A real shame i must add. If anyone knowing where to buy / obtain olive trees then i would like to know.

Thanks

Richard

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
17/06/2008 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 88 in Discussion

yes he is totally out of business - such a lovely guy - last I heard he had gone back to UK and would be arrested if he returned - really can't remember why tho, but must be something to do with what he was doing!

However, there is an organisation, which were also helping http://www.zakad.org/

Please do try them, Cenk is the owner of Burhans furniture shop if you know it. They participate in the Olive Festival in Zeytinlik, and were actively campaigning along the same lines as Olive Tree Rescue.

I think someone mentioned before, you could also try Green Garden, Botanica or any garden centre type place - they should all be able to help you.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
18/06/2008 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 85 of 88 in Discussion

Regarding Aloe Vera. I have always just taken more or less a whole 'leaf' off. You can then wrap the end with cling film and keep it in the fridge. My husband had an aloe vera rub/massage in Jamaica recently and said it was fantastic. Made him very sticky though lol.

sydney

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 86 of 88 in Discussion

Hi all,

Thanks for the update on the Aloe Vera..If this plant grows so much in Cyprus, why is no one interested in developing products out of it! For the weather, we have in Cyprus, the product will do very well as it is used in many ways to cool us down and keep our skin healthy too. Hope somoene will think of doing that!

Meanwhile, plant more trees in your garden and neighbourhood too. I found this really interesting site on Urban Street trees with 22 benefits..check it out.

http://www.walkable.org/download/22_benefits.pdf

Happy Planting, Cheers

indian

Message Posted:
07/08/2008 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 87 of 88 in Discussion

Great Work, Sydney..Good Luck

Cheers

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
07/08/2008 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 88 of 88 in Discussion

A couple of months ago, having bought a Villa in NC, we did a tour of garden centres and ended up buying some small olive trees and Cupressus.

They're all doing very well and by the end of the season we look to be expecting 50 or so olives!

Oh!....... by the way,.... these weren't in Cyprus, they are in our home in West London!

Wherever you are,... do your bit!

p.s. We bought from The Palm Centre in Ham, Richmond, London. Superb stock range including fabulous 100's years old Olive trees. Knowledgeable people and excellent delivery service.

http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/Default.aspx

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.