North Cyprus Tourist Board - flying to turkey then via Turkey to Ercan
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > flying to turkey then via Turkey to Ercan

flying to turkey then via Turkey to Ercan

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

» Read about Cyprus History

sissy

Message Posted:
12/07/2008 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Has any one booked a flight to Turkey, then booked a seperate flight from Turkey to Ercan. If so which company did you use. I live in North West England.

brian24001

Message Posted:
12/07/2008 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

i've used my KLM air miles to get from UK to IST, then had a CTA flight connecting on the ECN, booked on line on http://www.kthy.net wesite. Very successful mission.

I also know of people in the past flying easy jet to IST then connecting on to ECN.

Do the sums and timetables carefully though, if you change airlines, (you will) you have to collect bags in IST, and go upstairs to departures to check in, this requires clearing imigration at a cost of £10 for the visa. Make sure you pay in sterling as it's 30ytl in lira I seen to recall.

the butler

Message Posted:
12/07/2008 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Hi sissy,

I have booked to go to Istanbul for a week in October and then on to Ercan.

I used Easyjet from Luton for the flight to Istanbul and then CyprusTurkish for

the flight to Ercan. I then booked a flight to return to England again with

CyprusTurkish. Most airlines will let you book single fares now, so try from

Manchester. Ankara travel in Girne are very good, just email them.

The Butlers wife

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
12/07/2008 14:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

If you are flying to Istanbul just make sure you check which airport the flights are arriving into and departing from. Easyjet fly to Sabiha and CTA fly to Ataturk. Sabiha(SAW) is on the Asian side of the city about 28 miles East of the European city centre, Ataturk(IST) is about 14 miles West of the city centre. So factor in the cost, time and hassle of transferring between them. Here's a link that gives you an idea of the time and cost of the transfer between the two http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/inter_airport_xfr.html I also found that Ataturk airport is one of the most expensive airports to spend time in - if you have and HSBC advantage/premier card then you can use their lounge free of charge otherwise they charge about 25ytl pp. Either way, once you are in there, all food, drinks and internet access is free and it's a comfy place to spend a few hours.

the butler

Message Posted:
12/07/2008 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Hi come on aylin,

When we go to Istanbul we are actually spending a week there before flying on to Ercan but we have been told that that both flights are from the same airport Sabiha Gokcen.

The Butlers wife

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
12/07/2008 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Might be worth checking with CTA, there isn't an option on their website to select flights from Sabiha(SAW) to Ercan but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't fly there. Also the tickets should identify which airport you are flying from, Istanbul = IST, Sabiha = SAW. The advice is really for the original poster as it's quite easy to make that mistake.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
12/07/2008 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

You do not say where in Turkey you want to go. Obviously affects where you can fly to and on wards.

If Istanbul, Fly from Manchester where Turkish have daily flights and then onwards with Turkish to Ercan. All flights vis Ataturk International

http://www.thy.com

joandjelly

Message Posted:
12/07/2008 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

We have flown Ercan to Istanbul with Pegasus then Istanbul to Luton with EasyJet and back again. Both fly from/to Sabiha Gokcen but we had about 7 hours to kill in between flights (on the outward flight) and there is practically nothing to do at SG airport. We ended up hiring a car and driving into Istanbul for the day. Coming back from Luton we only had about 45 minutes between landing and taking off again (due to flight times of EasyJet) but we did make it. If we had missed the connection to Ercan we would have had to wait until about 10am the following morning. Make sure you plan very carefully and double check all your flight times.

sissy

Message Posted:
13/07/2008 16:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Thank you all for your info. Has anyone stayed in any of the hotels in Istanbul within walking distance from the town centre.

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
13/07/2008 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

If you want to stay in Sultanahmet, where Blue Mosque, Agia Sophia, Grand Bazaar, etc are located, I know a few people who have stayed in the Mina Hotel which is in walking distance of all of these. Here's the link to the hotel website http://www.minahotelistanbul.com/

ukturk

Message Posted:
13/07/2008 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

hi guys

if you wanted to see a bit of the beach and night life in turkey, you can fly to dalaman which has nice beaches and if you want a hour away is the resorts of marmaris (where i am) and fethiye so you could do a few nights there and then go on to cyprus from dalaman with kthy and it only cost £40 turkey end

many airlines go to dalaman like easy jet, ba, onur air, thomson, fly thomas cook and many more and they are all fairly priced

hope this helps

ukturk

p.s if you want a top quality hotel in sultanahmet istanbul i can reconmend faros hotel i know the owners personally from their hotel in marmaris and for a 4* hotel which only cost £33 per night for a double you cant go wrong their website is

http://www.faroshotelistanbul.com/

Tangutica

Message Posted:
01/12/2008 08:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Hi there, new member here. Just wanted to add to this post re the Faros hotel in sultanahmet that, if you want to stay there over the Xmas period the rates are much higher than that. I was quoted Euro 500 a night for period 24 - 27 Dec and Euro 89 per night for the period just before and after that - for a double room.

Teresa

Message Posted:
01/12/2008 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Went to Istanbul last week flew pegasus into Sabiha then got the airport bus into Taksim. Cost was 10YTL and journey time was just over an hour. The buses go every hour and are timed to the flight times however if you are going on a match day then make sure you get the bus back to the airport in plenty of time. Our flight was 9.25 pm and we got the 5pm bus, the traffic was bumper to bumper and several people on the bus missed their flights.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.