North Cyprus Tourist Board - Driving from Larnaca to Northern Cyprus car rental
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Driving from Larnaca to Northern Cyprus car rental

Driving from Larnaca to Northern Cyprus car rental

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Car Hire in North Cyprus

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

jaspa

Message Posted:
14/07/2008 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Hi there

Can anyone recommend a car hire company that will rent me a car to drive from Larnaca to Northern Cyprus?

saucyboy69

Message Posted:
14/07/2008 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Hi you can try the following have used them afew times.

http://www.cyprus-car.com

happy for car to go north.

Pete

berty

Message Posted:
14/07/2008 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

demisrc@spidernet.com.cy

Demise is a real nice guy very reliable indeed, he will meet you himself at the airport and drop off is simple. I used him loads of times, mention Ian from Saudi Arabia and you may get a discount and then again the state I left the bot in last time he may not, LOL

Let me know how you got on if you go that way.

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
14/07/2008 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

I used fontana last week from Paphos, booked through cyprus-car.com.

The car was mechanically good, automatic, quite a lot of scratches but that meant it didnt matter if I added a couple more!

Quite happy with things. The rental worked out at about £23stg a day with the euro being so high, but even though it was quite a big car it was pretty economical on petrol.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
14/07/2008 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

If you hire a car in the south and take it to the North the insurance you get is only 3rd. party.

Also if you have problems, a breakdown or worse a crash it is your responsibilty to get the car back to the south.

Would you drive a hire car in the UK only 3rd party insurance????

The standard of driving in the TRNC is really bad, look at these stats, the UK has a very good record for road safety compared with most other EU countries. In 2004 it had one of the lowest road death rates in the EU, at 5.6 per 100,000 population. The population in the UK being something like 60million. In the TRNC the road deaths run at about 70 per annum and the population is only 200,000 - 300,000. Surely this shows that there is a much higher risk of being involved in an accident in the TRNC.

A simple breakdown would not really be too much of a problem, having an accident would be.

For me gambling on saving not a lot is not a risk worth taking particulary as most of the hire cars are fairly new, worst case scenario is an accident is your fault and the car is a write off that would cost you say £8,000 to replace.

Already in 2008 there have been at least a 19 deaths on the roads in the TRNC.

Also with the Euro at a high it really isn't cheaper to hire in the south (I guess someone will challenge me on this statement)

Remember, if you have a crash in the North and it is your fault your fault the insurer will not pay any of your own costs only those of 3rd parties and there is I believe an upper limit of £8,000

saucyboy69

Message Posted:
14/07/2008 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Yes we all know the risks how many times do people have to point out the obvious...

In an ideal world we would all fly into Ercan and then hire in the north but this is not always practical so some people quite alot actually will fly into the south and hire there.....

Perry

Message Posted:
14/07/2008 23:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Absolutely !! We have done both - north and south on several occasions with no problems.

Fontana are good (through http://www.cyprus-car.com )

Lemtich

Message Posted:
15/07/2008 00:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

I've just worked out that in the long run 100% of us are going to die!

Hey, what's the point in living, heavy, heavy, heavy!

What's the point eh, bloody idiot at the insurance company offered me a policy which included "Fire and Theft"!

Told him to go forth and multiply!

Who's going to steal a burning car for Christ's sake!

Lem

Oh and by the way, a mate of mine, Andy Morrison came out to the Hogs Head last Christmas after the office party with the rest of us and insisted on dancing on the pool table.

Heres what happened,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgQrcJqGVys

Happy days

Lem

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
15/07/2008 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

saucyboy69

Obviously jaspa did not know the risks as it was his 1st posting

How are the risks obvious if you do not know what they are, perhaps you can answer that.

Stewart

Message Posted:
19/07/2008 12:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Hi, have hired from Larnaca and taken North quite a few times, no problems, shop around for best prices ( some companies will allow cars north not all )

You need to buy extra insurance at the border...takes 2 mintues ( about £20 depending on length os stay )....only problem will be if you have problems with the car....you will need to get it to the border crossing.

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
19/07/2008 14:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Hi

I used Fontana last time, from Larnaca, mostly because I only remembered to book on a Sunday afternoon and they were the only ones to answer a mobile phone - useful to know, I reckon, in case of problems.

They were excellent, as was the Honda HRV I hired. Recommend.

There are some very good driving directions somewhere on this forum - anyone got them? I'll find mine if no-one else posts them again

Cheers

Jo Valentine

http://www.jamesvalentineremovals.co.uk

saucyboy69

Message Posted:
19/07/2008 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Loving Cyprus,

Just because it was the first post here does not mean they are not members of any other BB and have not read the same posting about the risks elsewhere.

I posted as the question was "does anyone know a company that will hire me a car to go South to North" not WHAT ARE THE RISKS INVOLVED IN HIRING A CAR IN THE SOUTH AND DRIVING NORTH...

As for the SMALL saving not only am i saving £80 on the taxi transfer i am also saving over £100 on the carhire itself when i come out in August also my flight for 4 people was £400 cheaper than flying into Ercan

TOTAL SAVING FLYING INTO THE SOUTH THIS TIME £580.00

Also having a greek registered hire car we can pop over to the otherside whenever we want which is a huge bonus and unless you are lucky enough to be retired and living in the North with your own TC registered car you are stuffed.

Pete,

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.