North Cyprus Tourist Board - advice on renting out your property
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > advice on renting out your property

advice on renting out your property

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Rental Guide

» North Cyprus Property Development Reviews

» Property Buying Guide to North Cyprus

Arnold

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 23:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Has anyone any tips and advice on renting out property? We have found someone to rent, not thru an agency - can anyone point me in the right direction on what procedure I should be following, on both sides.

any info would be greatfully received

kyreniagirl

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 23:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Hi. Sorry but my advice would be to put it through a reliable agent. Have learnt that the most reliable seeming tenants will do a bunk with your bed linen, leave the place dirty, owe you 2 months rent & not pay the utility bills!! I use frasermeridies who have been excellent but I'm sure others would recommend different agencies as well. They will deal with references, deposits, contracts & chase rental payment - which you will almost certainly need to do. Good Luck!

lsaywell

Message Posted:
03/07/2010 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Can anyone recommend a reliable (yes I know its TRNC!) rental agent in the Lapta area? We have a furnished 2 bed appartment with sea views that we won't be using for the next year or so.

the butler

Message Posted:
03/07/2010 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Arnold,

I have rented my bungalow out long term and never had any problems with the tenants. They paid their rent on time through direct debit. I drew up a tenancy agreement showing the rent and the things they were responsible for and we both signed it. I then took both copies to the tax office where they were stamped. Your tenants will need their copy for their residency. When they left, the place was spotless and the garden well cared for. My advice is rent to a couple, do not allow pets or smokers and do not under any circumstances rent to mainlanders or locals, as you are asking for trouble.

The butlers wife

roisin

Message Posted:
03/07/2010 17:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Several apartments and villas in my area are rented thru Sunbeams Estate Agents. email is info@sunbeamsestate.com. Office no 0392 822 3910 mobile 0533 849 8959.They are on the main road going to Girne.Coming from lapta it is on the left hand side next to the olive oil factory and just before Lemar on the right hand side. I have talked to owners and tenants and both are extremely happy with the service provided. I do know they are looking for rental properties at the moment.

mikea11

Message Posted:
03/07/2010 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Kyreniagirl, don't tar all renters with the same brush please. We rent longterm and look after the place as if it were our own and even do running repairs around the place free of charge.

honestie

Message Posted:
03/07/2010 18:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

and not all local or mainlanders are the worse. There are some bad english tenants and some excellent locals/mainlanders. Make sure you have a really tight contract and a good deposit which estate agents should do for you.

the butler

Message Posted:
03/07/2010 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Hi honestie,

I agree not all mainlanders but I have friends that have all had bad experiences with both locals and mainlanders. If you can get them to leave at all, they usually leave owing for electric and rent. I know some brits have done this but I don't think this is in the main.

The butlers wife

kyreniagirl

Message Posted:
03/07/2010 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Hi Mikea11. I know all tenants are not bad, the one's we have at the moment are OK, but even so have fallen behind with the rent & it's only through the agents persistence that it had been paid up. We have had bad experiences with locals & Brits ( a very nice older lady, friend of a friend, left owing me £400.00, took my bed linen too, and that after I bought a larger freezer for her because she requested it!). I just feel safer with an agent, especially as I am in the UK. You pays your money & you takes your choice!

girne 29

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Arnold

Be careful. See the ' Squatter in North Cyprus ' thread

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Arnold also be carefull if letting through an agent that they dont have in their fine print that they are not responsible for chasing bad debts.

Example You rent through an agent and your tennant decdes to stop paying and squat,will they after a period of time say to you sorry we cant get any money from them you will have to deal with it.

Check to see what there policy is with regard to bad tennants and what procedures if any will they implement if such a case arises.

I am sorry I dont agree with the Butlers there are as many bad brit tennants as there are Locals/mainlanders its just the locals/Mainlanders have more rights and are harder to get out.We have had better local tennants than brits its sad to say.

walkerscott

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 09:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Don't trust anyone! Check them out through references and family if possible!

I just had a nasty experience in the UK after totally renovating my property. I let it out to what I thought was a lovely family from London. I was contacted by the CID whilst I was staying in the Malpas in March and informed that it would be good for me to return home as they had just raided my property and found the largest cannabis factory in Cornwall! Had totally ruined my home and i wasn't allowed to keep the near cultivated plants amounting to over half a million £s worth either :-( !

I have now placed my former cannabis factory home on the market!

Make the contract a detailed one (although that won't prevent the criminally minded) but it helps in the majority of cases.

Good luck!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.