North Cyprus Tourist Board - Algadi Beach - Posative/Negative
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Algadi Beach - Posative/Negative

Algadi Beach - Posative/Negative

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Forum Threads on North Cyprus Beaches

» Read about North Cyprus Beaches

» List of Beaches near Kyrenia North Cyprus

» List of Beaches near Famagusta North Cyprus

dutty

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 40 in Discussion

Just got back to UK after 11 days in Cyprus. Whilst there we did a couple of walks, Algadi Beach being one of them. I didn't realise there were 3 beaches which look stunning from the headlands you climb at the end of each beach. I only have one fault The amount of litter, bottles and broken glass is Appalling. What are the tourist board doing. Its ok trying to attract new holiday makers but when they come your plan has to be to make them want to come back. The bins in the car parks were all overflowing, tons of stuff had been left on the beach. Do they not have wardens or anyone who patrols the beaches, a great potential North Cyprus asset but being abused and mis-managed at this moment in time.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 13:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 40 in Discussion

Dutty

You are not the first and will not be the last to be disgusted by the state of Alagadi and other beaches. Unfortunately, it appears to be a trait of the locals to just discard their rubbish wherever they sit rather than take it home and dispose of it properly. The government and belediyere do little or nothing to improve on the situation, more often than not claiming that they do not have the funds to do it.

I will probably get taken to to task for daring to infer that it is the 'locals' who are the principal culprits but I have observed it too many times to be convinced otherwise. Go to any 'local' picnic area and you will find yourself wading through piles of plastic bottles, beer cans, plastic bags, discarded nappies etc etc, it is nothing short of disgraceful.

It is a great pity that a beautiful part of this island is drowning under mounds of litter and short sighted of the government not to recognise the untold damage that it does to the tourist trade.

Paul

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 40 in Discussion

I will also add that Alagadi has the potential to be a stunning beach and real draw for tourists.

It has a lovely beach bar/restaurant where you are guaranteed a warm welcome and serves good food at very reasonable prices.

It's just a real pity that the government/belediyere do not see fit to invest in its' upkeep.

Regards

Paul

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 14:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 40 in Discussion

I watched a tv prog recently about the worlds most polluted beaches.

At No1 was Hawaii, where most of the 'sand' was in fact ground plastic debris, deadly for marine life.

The UK did badly with a high degree of effluent infections (especially amongst children) from untreated sewage and a high degree of debris.

I agree beaches such as Alagadi would be be better from more regular refuse collection,(much of which is 'sea-borne' refuse, not beach-dropped), but put in context, NC beaches are no better or worse than many others throughout the world.

How many of us would be prepared to pay a 'beach' charge at Alagadi if there was a daily 'clean-up'?

Rob

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 40 in Discussion

Rob

I agree with you to a point, but go to any of the parking areas associated with Alagadi and you will find them overflowing with litter. If the bins are full then people just leave their rubbish on the floor.

As to sea borne refuse, yes there is an awful lot of it, but there is also a huge amount just left there by beach users - I walk the beach an awful lot in the summer and winter and it is easy to distinguish between the 2 types.

I am sorry to say it, but it is just down to plain laziness !!

Alagadi could be one of the 'jewels in the crown' for TRNC tourism and as such should be invested in. We all know that there are plenty of government 'employees' who could be put to better use cleaning the beaches rather than sat in their offices drinking coffee . Failing that, rather than 'investing in new statues and ornate roundabouts, why not spend the money on cleaning up the beaches. I know which of the above would be best remembered by tourists !

Paul

jakki

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 40 in Discussion

Not just Alagadi beach - our friends who visited our place in TRNC last year - said 'it's a dirty little island, full of plastic'.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 40 in Discussion

Jakki

You are right.

Not really the image that you want visitors going away with and one that will most likely prevent them from returning in the future.

Paul

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 40 in Discussion

It is so sad because Alagadi beach is beautiful. or has the potential to be beautiful. I love the long sandy beaches and the gradual decline as you go into the sea, it makes it wonderful if you have kids with you but the rubbish .................. another story altogether. The cafe/restaurant on the beach is brilliant and good value for money and most importantly, the beach is free to get onto unlike most others that the hotels seem to 'hijack' as their own.

Blackbird

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 40 in Discussion

Unfortunately many places in TRNC are blighted with rubbish and litter...

dutty

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 40 in Discussion

Blackbird

I understand what you are saying but the free beaches are like advertising posters for TRNC the private beaches look after themselves. It would not take that much money to look after the main public beaches and you could collect money via donation boxes or if a business wanted to set up on the beach ( like at Alagadi ) then part of their terms of lease would be to be responsible for the cleaning up

finchy

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 40 in Discussion

When we go to the beach at Alagadi, we take some bin bags and try to do a clean up. We don't leave the rubbish at the car park either as it will never be moved.

We were involved in a beach clean up in May, everybody met at the cafe, school children met the turtle and had their pictures take for the local paper. Then the children made there way up to the 3rd beach and did a little bit. However, I'm sure that they will all be putting it back when they next go on the beach. The car park that they all walked through was a disgrace and always will be as the beleydisi don't care.

How many times do we hear about an organised beach clean up, what about the car parks too. Locals need to be educated and not just to take from the beach and leave it in the car park.

I think we are fighting a loosing battle as nothing has changed over the last ten years.

In May, somebody decided that it would be a good idea to dump a pile of rubbish including tires etc in front of our house. NICE!

Tinkie

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 40 in Discussion

We love Alagadi, but agree its terrible the way that people just their rubbish on the beach. We were there a couple of weeks ago and witnessed 2 young couples leave 2 carrier bags full of rubbish when they left and whilst they were there they changed their baby and threw the dirty nappy on to the sand behind them, where it remained long after they have gone. Another person actually took her babies nappy off in the sea and left it there! Unbelievable that they cant see the damage that they are doing.

dutty

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 19:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 40 in Discussion

Does anybody know what the tourist board is actually doing

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 40 in Discussion

Dutty

Simple, they do nothing.

There is a beach clean at Alagadi taking place in the next week or so but this has been organised by the C44 members and not the belediyere/tourist board.

Paul

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 40 in Discussion

I should say that the beach clean has been organised by some of the members who post on C44.

Paul

swannee7

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 40 in Discussion

Does anyone know where the main landfill site is on the Kyrenia side of the range? Are there more than 1 such sites by any chance? As a non-resident in TRNC and having visited a number of times over the years, its obvious how the demographics have changed in that time. Loads more housing (with its associated building debris), loads more hotels, shops, restaurants etc. and last but not least, loads more people who live in NC permanently. The whole of NC is little more than an enclave space-wise, and its getting dangerously close to saturation point when one accepts that so little has been done to address the very serious and vital point of environmental hygiene. My guess is that there aren't enough landfill waste sites and not enough rubbish lorries to collect/dispose at those sites. The belediyere must know that so are effectively hamstrung. Finally, there's no 'rubbish disposal' or 'hygiene education' amongst the local population. Sad,sad, sad.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 40 in Discussion

Re : Msg 2, 14 15,

I have friends who participated in the last clean-up of Alagadi beach on the 4th of July. After reading about it on this forum, they turned up as a multinational team of several families including their children. All of them worked very hard and were extremely pleased with the organisation and the results.

The very NEXT DAY they went to the beach for the children's picnic only to find it completely littered again. Their daughters were in tears, their party was spoiled. They met there with the friends from Sweet Water Bay who told them than the night before they had seen a big group of young local people partying and enjoying the CLEAN beach. Alas, the beach did not stay clean for much longer!

I don't know whether my friends are going to join the others on the 1st of August. I am not minded to ask.

cronos

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 40 in Discussion

Clarissa2....although that is a sad tale,it is refreshing to hear a first hand experience rather than the wishful thinking of a few well meaning people.

It is futile to try and lead by example in NC and clear up everyone else's rubbish in the hope that it will spur/shame them into doing it themselves.

It won't work....the mindset of the "locals" is different.

What is needed is a combination of education,publicity,and of course heavy financial penalties in respect of littering.

Zoony

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 40 in Discussion

Cronos could not have put it any better then that i agree 100%

phylray

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 21:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 40 in Discussion

It is not only locals, mostly young people, who do this. Last week we witnessed a young English boy

throw plastic bottle away, and when challenged by my friend, he was "not bovvered"

. Shame.

There need to be more bins, and they need to be emptied. The Belediye must do much more and educate

into taking away what rubbish cannot be binned.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 22:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 40 in Discussion

I was at Alagadi last December and was appalled at the rubbish dumped not just on the beach and the overflowing bins but dumped in the shrubbery along the path leading to the car park. Among the rocks were remains of BBq's, bottles, tin cans and dirty nappies, this is not being brought in from the sea the water doesn't reach there. The Belediye should have a designated department to keep the beaches clean if they want tourists to return, I visit Turkey twice a year for holidays and have never seen a dirty beach there yet, the Belediye are out cleaning them up early morning.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 40 in Discussion

Cronos - Msg 18

You need to be careful when inferring that the local population are the main perpetrators of littering. I had the same debate last week on C44 and was accused of being a rascist for suggesting such a thing - the fact that I have observed the act of littering on too many occasions to mention didn't seem to matter.

So for the record, there is no littering of the beaches and if there is, then I am sure that it isn't the locals who do it !!

Regards

Paul

Bradus

Message Posted:
29/07/2010 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 40 in Discussion

The reality in the TRNC is that if you wish to go on a clean beach you will have to pay. If you want to use the local public beach you will be surrounded by filth and rubbish.

Not nice to hear and it is not typical of most other Med resorts, but sadly it is reality in the TRNC. It is the most frequently quoted criticism from holiday makers, even when they have loved holidaying here.

Rubbish tipping in the TRNC is a way of life. The island is strewn with builders rubbish and litter.

It certainly is one of the negatives of the TRNC.

Blackbird

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 00:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 40 in Discussion

Where is the pride in keeping your country clean and clear of rubbish?

Recently I have visited places like Singapore, and New Zealand - both virtually rubbish free, because they want a clean environment in their country!

TRNC could easily adopt that attitude.............do you think?

dutty

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 40 in Discussion

There must be some sort of grant that could be applied for to pay for a warden on Alagadi. I say this because of the turtle connection and I dont mean a grant from a NC organisation or quango but perhaps a worldwide conservation or wildlife organisation?????

yrys88

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 11:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 40 in Discussion

Something is being done about it! If anyone wants to join in. Below is the details:

Just a reminder that the bus will be arriving at old bus terminal opposite the police station at 7:30 Sunday morning. Thats this Sunday ( 1st of August)

Pls remember to bring water, sun screen, hats, and extra bags if you like.

The cleanup will officially start at 8 am.

You can call

Yen

dutty

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 40 in Discussion

yrys88

I know you are doing something-which is great but I will guarantee a week later it will be back to the same. It needs a warden or something, perhaps just in the summer months and then maybee a couple of volunteer cleanups over the winter months.

yrys88

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 11:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 40 in Discussion

Well, we are hoping to find long term solutions there on Sunday! The officials from the Esentepe Municipality will be there and we will do our best to implement solutions! Some ideas are, informative signs, a regular trash collection program, trash bins and if it comes to it fines. These will be all put forward to the authorities.

If you can make it, pls come!

dutty

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 40 in Discussion

yrys88

How did the beach clean go

Did you meet with some officials from the Esentepe Municipality and what did they say??????

dutty

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 40 in Discussion

Did anybody else go on the beach clean or know the answer to my previous question

dutty

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 40 in Discussion

It looks like not many turned up then!!!!!!!

dutty

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 12:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 40 in Discussion

The reason for me thinking not many people turned up is that msg 29 and 30 had about 180 views but nobody has posted anything

girne 29

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 40 in Discussion

phylray

'There need to be more bins, and they need to be emptied'

There are loads of bins inches from the benches between the Dome and the childrens play area down at the harbour and still rubbish ,mainly drinks bottles ,is often just left on the ground.

I go to plenty places with food and drink and really its easy ,if there are no bins ,put your rubbish in a bag and take it away with you.

Also ,the point about the English boy is not really valid, as I am guessing his parents would not be happy if they saw what he was doing,as opposed to the people who teach their children ,by example ,that littering is normal.

I am beginning to think NC has given up on tourism completely.Its the usual problem where a place ,and this applies not just in NC,gets used to living on grants, aid ,handouts or whatever.People soon get used to the fact that they dont need to try and attract business like tourism ,so if tourists dont like to be surrounded by rubbish ,so what.

dutty

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 13:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 40 in Discussion

Thanks for your comments girne 29 but that doesn't answer my question on msg 29

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 40 in Discussion

Dutty

This link should answer your question.

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/41863.asp

Alas, it is a bit like King Canute trying to turn back the tide.

Paul

dutty

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 40 in Discussion

Thanks Paul

But no it doesn't really answer my question

What was the reaction of the Esentepe Municipality people

Are they interested Are they going to put any money into it What do they think about a warden

Surely someone asked these questions and didn't just leave them to collect some rubbish

girne 29

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 40 in Discussion

dutty

Sorry, what question did you address to me? Was following on Phylray's post.

Ifits about the beach clean, sorry havent a clue how it went.Havent been along since.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 18:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 40 in Discussion

I know of a little beach in Alsancak, free, that includes the use of sunbeds and umbrellas, regularly used by TC's and Brits, kept clean and well maintained. Its out of the way, looks as though its gated but not. Its a secret. Lem

Noeler

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 40 in Discussion

Well done, Yen and other Forum members for being proactive on beach clean-ups. I love Aligadi and go swimming there every day when I'm in TRNC. It's lovely in the winter but the litter and debris can really be disheartening. Of course the Belyedesi could do more but we can all do something small. It will take a long time to foster behaviour change and greater civic responsibily. In the meantime, take a small bag with you and pick up some litter, particulalry plastics whenever you visit. Encourgage the cafe to put up some signs encouraging people to look after their litter. All the little positive actions add-up.....

Noeler

dutty

Message Posted:
20/08/2010 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 40 in Discussion

Good MSG Noeler

But what I am trying to find out is did anybody suggest these things to the municipality people and what was there reaction. Its no good yrys88 saying they were meeting them there and then not posting what there reaction was !!!!! If Any

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.