North Cyprus Tourist Board - Dawn watch at Escape beach
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Dawn watch at Escape beach

Dawn watch at Escape beach

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Forum Threads on North Cyprus Beaches

» Read about North Cyprus Beaches

» List of Beaches near Kyrenia North Cyprus

» List of Beaches near Famagusta North Cyprus

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
20/07/2010 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

What a brilliant night.

The 20th July “Turkish Peace and Freedom Day’’ was being celebrated across the Republic with many different events

However this year, history is set to be made with the first ever such event. A “Dawn Watch” festival was being staged at the very beach where Turkey landed her troops 36 years ago.

The “Dawn Watch Organisation Committee” put out a statement calling on everyone living in the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus to take part in the event.

The organisation is being supported by tens of civil society groups both in the TRNC and abroad. Organisers say the project, however, belongs to all the people and aims to show the world the honourable stance and struggle of the Turkish Cypriot people.

The statement said that “the 20 July 1974 is the symbolic beginning of liberation. It is the day when freedom and peace came to the island for everyone”.

There was music, fireworks and doves set of as a symbol of peace.

So pleased we went.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
20/07/2010 22:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Hi,

You say that "The “Dawn Watch Organisation Committee” put out a statement calling on everyone living in the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus to take part in the event."

When was this?

Where was this?

I never saw it!

RoxyBob

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 06:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Where do you live Keith?

RoxyBob

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 06:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

I see you live in Alsancak. Can't believe you didn't hear the firework display from about 4.10 am to 4.40am

bridie

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 07:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Telsim sent out invitations on mobile phones, but all in Turkish.

waddo

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 08:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

It will probably be in today's Cyprus Today - like always, letting you know what you would have been able to go to if only you knew about it when it happened!

Always reporting the past - I guess that is what news is all about. Sorry, day started bad and don't look like getting any better so grumble, mumble, curse and spit!!!!!!!!! Hey, its great getting old, at least I have an excuse for being a misserable git.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 08:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

RoxyBob,

After living here for 4 years, I sleep through ANYTHING - now do you believe me?

- And if I had, I wouldn't have known what was going on!My question to floweryfairy was about WHEN they put out the statement, WHERE they put out the statement, and the fact that I didn't see the statement.

Fat lot of good advertising it afterwards, or to Telsim customers only, or in Turkish only - although I might have had a stab at translating, if it didn't look too complicated

On second thoughts, I wouldn't! - I get loads of Turkish text messages from KKTCell, and I've got tired of translating the adverts, so I just delete 'em!

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Sorry, been catching up on the sleep, didn't arrive home until 5.45am!!!!!, not used to it.

Keith, I received my information via email, although I'm sure I read about it somewhere too. It was packed, so someone, somewhere did advertise the event. It was very organised, obviously some bits we didn't understand, due to our limited Turkish language.

Something I would like to add is we went to the drinks stand and asked for two cokes, asked how much.............................guess what................''no charge''.

Well how's about that for hospitallity?

spanna

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

We also attended and have to say, it was a fantastic night. We read about it in the Kibris Star - they had a full article providing a run down of the timetable for the night along with an invitation to all - both Cypriots and ex-pats to attend.

I didn't see it anywhere else though! Although, if you were driving through Alsancak at around 11pm, you would have struggled to miss it!!!! ;)

A really wonderful event and, as flower fairy said, we were made to feel so welcome and met some amazing people who were happy to talk to us about their experiences of the landings in 1974 and the time around it. Fascinating.

No one seems to be quite sure why, after 36 years, they suddenly decided to put on such an event? But... it was a credit to the organisers and the people of North Cyprus. Thanks for letting us be a part of it!

keithcaley

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

invitation confined to Kibris Star readers then

Well, I'm glad you had a good night, and I'm sorry that I missed it!

Does anyone have any information on how to contact the 'Dawn Watch Committee' who organised this? - I have 'Googled' it with no success.

I am willing to offer suggestions on how to contact a larger percentage of the population 'next time' and to ask if I can assist in any way...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.