North Cyprus Tourist Board - leaflets to help residents
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > leaflets to help residents

leaflets to help residents

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Rental Guide

apc2010

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 01:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com/2010/08/31/trnc-government-to-produce-leaflets-to-help-foreign-residents/

Rocker

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 04:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

After reading the article should your thread have been "NO Leaflets to help residents!" After all we are guests in this country I think !!!! and the article says we should learn Turkish!!!!

sienna

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 04:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

yeah right like all the immigrants read English in the UK do you mean

Geoff

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

What has the UK got to do with it?

But as a matter of fact immigrants (legal ones that is!) to UK now have to pass a test in English language

competance.

Geoff

malsancak

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

the title of the article, written by Dominic Freeman, was taken from a question he put to the government official. As editor I chose the image that goes with the article and so I took a screen print of Kent County Council's website showing the Turkish language section they had, along with a dozen or more languages. I personally would be happy to pass a Turkish language test if I were to ever accept TRNC Citizenship, along with the existing requirement of having to do national service. However, perhaps requiring Turkish for tourists with holiday homes isn't a good idea, unless you want to get rid of them that is.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Can one of the iknowledgable members assist me here. I understood that when the Republic of Cyprus constitution was drawn up in 1960 there were three official state languages, Greek Turkish and English. Is this true?

If so, was this in anyway continued in the eventual constitution of the TRNC?

Not making a point just after information.

Harold

john_good

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

trnc constitution==> http://www.kktcombudsman.org/en/?op=anayasa

waddo

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 11:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Harold, That will develop into a huge can of worms and the orignal post will vanish in rumour and hearsay within a day if not very careful.

It is true that the three official state languages were Greek, Turkish and English in the 1960 version of the constitution - fact.

The rest will be lost in the mists of time and reasons given will be many - safe to say that the constitution was thrown away and never really adhered to - beyond that both peoples went their own ways over the years.

I feel it is also true to say that if the RoC had its own way there would be nothing of the English or Turkish language on display or spoken openly in that part of the Island.

I do not blame the Turkish part for adopting the "Learn Turkish" slogan, after all the Prime Minister of Australia told everyone they could come to his country but that their language was English and if they wanted to stay then learn their language. Everyone thought that was a great idea but now the boot is on the other foot??

waddo

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

I am trying to learn Turkish by the way - it is difficult for me as my hearing is not so good and trying to lip read a language you can't understand anyway makes it double difficult. In particular you should try to lipread a guy who has a moustache - now that can be fun.

Getting there, learning to read and write first and then go for the longer speaking bits next. I am now ashamed that I have no working knowledge of the language of the country I live in - so I am taking action on it instead of just learning to shout louder or complaining that "They" don't speak English.

blade

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

I think everyone who comes to live here should make a little effort to speak the local language.

I wonder if its Turkish they want us to learn, or cypriot turkish?

flightholiday

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Blade msg 10 - a little of both? I suspect that the majority of us will learn Turkish as most books and teaching methods will go down that route.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
01/09/2010 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

The language in the TRNC is Turkish as all official documents have to be written in Turkish and if not translated to Turkish and notarised as such.

It happens to be useful to Brits & other Expats who use English that because of the internet and the countries history many people also speak English. So leaflets in English are a courtesy from our hosts.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.