North Cyprus Tourist Board - Drinking & Driving in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Drinking & Driving in North Cyprus

Drinking & Driving in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

puppylover

Message Posted:
07/09/2008 18:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 44 in Discussion

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the amount of Brits who drink and drive here in the TRNC?

We went out for a meal a few nights ago and witnessed two seperate couples knocking back the pints as if it were going out of fashion!!

One of the guys was swaying as he walked over to his car and drove off...I couldn't believe his wife not stopping him from driving.

Being a new driver and wary of the local's driving skills (?) I now worry about the brits as well...I thought it was a zero tolerance over here.

My feelings are that these people are just plain stupid...and selfish.

Oxoners

Message Posted:
07/09/2008 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 44 in Discussion

Couldn't agree more,

dalartokat

Message Posted:
07/09/2008 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 44 in Discussion

Its been going on for years, its not just started.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
07/09/2008 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 44 in Discussion

For Pete's sake leave it alone you people.

I'm fed up to the back teeth at the constant digs.

I've got no mission to defend Nige, he strikes me as being able to do so himself but it's just boring.

If he advertises his "services2 then if the allegations about the legality are true then fair enough comment then but do we really need petty attacks kike these?

Paul

Harold2555

Message Posted:
07/09/2008 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 44 in Discussion

"services" and like

sorry

puppylover

Message Posted:
07/09/2008 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 44 in Discussion

I did not open this thread with the intention of members coming back with personnel attacks against other members.

As I stated I am a first time driver (at the age of 47) and it horrifies me that people are selfish enough to drink and drive and put not only themselves at risk but also innocent people who stick to the laws of the country.

I cannot imagine how I would feel if I were to injure/kill a passenger in my car or a member of the public by such stupidity.

If you can afford to go out and drink to access...you can afford to get a taxi.

To anyone reading this post who has/does drink and drive and thinks it's ok to do so....PLEASE think of others as well as yourself.

Ask yourself....Is it worth it?

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
07/09/2008 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 44 in Discussion

I'm not going to say I've never drunk then driven because I would be telling lies but I have to admit that now we walk down to the village rather than take the car so we can both have a drink. I've seen many locals (I'm including expats in the "Locals" as well as TC's) unable to walk but still get in a car and drive home.

Karen

laptagal

Message Posted:
07/09/2008 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 44 in Discussion

It is strange but some people who behave responsibly in their everyday lives change when on holiday in another country. It happens all over the world. I don't know why. Perhaps, in their minds, reality is suspended and normal rules don't apply.

dusterbruce

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 00:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 44 in Discussion

I think it is often the same over here.

When there is a big football match being shown on the big screens that some pubs have these days the car park is always full to bursting. You cant tell me that all those drivers are drinking lemonade with their football!

puppylover

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 06:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 44 in Discussion

dusterbruce....absolutely agree.

At least there are some sensible people who think like I do.

We have our two daughter's over at the moment and we have been out and about taking them to our favourite restaurants......would I like a Campari and orange while I look at the menu...oh yes!

Would I like a nice bottle of wine with my meal....oh yes!

But I won't....as I'm responsible for getting them and my hubby home in one piece.

At least if I am involved in an accident of any sort it won't be because I was the one who couln't say "No, I'm driving".

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 44 in Discussion

Wholeheartedly agree. The erratic (to say the least) driving of some of the TC's terrifies me but, like others here, I too have been appalled at times when I've seen people leaving bars/restaurants, obviously drunk, and get into their cars and drive off home. I assume most of these people would not dream of doing this at home, so why do this whilst in another country? Perhaps, as laptagal says, reality is suspended. It's selfish and irresponsible.

J

kiwikid

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 44 in Discussion

This reminds of a time last year, I was returning home after a wedding at about 1am, there was a police check point opp the ship Inn. The car in front of me and my self were stopped. The officer opened the car door of the car in front and the driver feel out, he was so drunk he couldn't stand. Sad to say he was an older english gentleman mid 60's driving a local car not a rental.

Sad really as there were others in the car who let him drive, they must have been in the same state or just stupid.

Angela

Don't drink and drive! the life you could be saving maybe MINE!!!

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 44 in Discussion

People People please !!!!

Drinking and Driving is a daft thing to do, no matter which country you are in.You must remember that you are in control of a Killing Machine, if, it is not controlled properly. However if you MUST Drink and Drive, remember to take your car with you to the Pub !!!!!!!

puppylover

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 44 in Discussion

wearytravellers...

Mmm!...I assume you meant "NOT" to take your car with you to the pub?

jackeen

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 44 in Discussion

Drinking and driving never pays. I promised when I was going for my driving test that I would never drink and drive. I passed and have never drank and driven. When I have been out drinking and get up the next morning I do not touch the car and take public transport instead. My husband, when we first got married had a major stomach operation, he was recovering and had ONE bottle of lager and was stopped by the police and found to be over the limit, banned 18 months (years of high insurance followed) cannot remember the fine, so I am very wary about drinking the next day after having a drink.

hattikins

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 16:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 44 in Discussion

I enjoy a drink as much as the next person but not if I am driving, for me it,s soft drinks and if I fancy alcohol I have some once I,m safely home. A car in the hands of a drunk is just as dangerous as a loaded gun in my opinion.

Anyone who thinks the matter of drink driving is even remotely funny or attempts to make a joke out of it is nothing short of stupid.

PtePike

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 44 in Discussion

Drug driving is in some places a bigger problem than booze.

alsancakjack

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 44 in Discussion

Jackeen

'Drinking and driving never pays.' You are right I have not made any money out of it so far. Seriously though the perception is that the 'local bar and restaurant is only just down the road and we only ever see PC Plod on the main road' so its alright.

AJ

alsancakjack

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 44 in Discussion

John

'Drug driving is in some places a bigger problem than booze.'

Yep and I have not found one country that has really gotten to grips with the problem.

AJ

babygirl08

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 44 in Discussion

its a fact every time you go out in your car you will see a car crash that has just happened and 90% of it is drink driving the other 10% is pure idioltes think that they know best and take over all the road . ijust feal sorry for the inercant person they the driver crashes into !!!

pussycatuk

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 44 in Discussion

forgive babygirls spelling..she is my daughter and all the text speak does not help her learn to spell very well. I am sure other parents are having same problems.

cruggs

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 44 in Discussion

mesage 25,sry pusiecattuk cmnizerate with yu we all ave our prebloms,dont worry be happy.lol

Groucho

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 44 in Discussion

The analogy of the drunk driver and the man with a gun are erroneous... at least when you have a gun you are not facing a hundred drunks with guns coming in the other direction!

Chick-A-Dee

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 44 in Discussion

I understood that the TRNC Police have a 'zero' tolerance on drink driving. Is this right? Does anyone know the law about drink driving?

Me personnally ... its not worth your life - drink and drive, your asking for trouble.

puppylover

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 44 in Discussion

Chick-A-Dee.....

Yes....it is a "ZERO" tolerance according to my driving instructor here in TRNC.

Shame some people don't abide by the law of the land.

I totally agree with you.....it is not worth your life...or others.

The innocent victims doesn't have a choice....drivers do.

Chick-A-Dee

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 44 in Discussion

Here here ....puppylover

I am sure that if all people exercised zero tolerance ...how many lives would be saved ...

......not to mention dogs - ONLY JOKING EVERYONE ... not having a go at anyone!

Coachie

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 23:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 44 in Discussion

hi all ...on alighter note...This cop inAussie was sitting in his patrol car outside this bar observing the comings and goings during the evening.About midnight this guy staggers out of the pub and eventually weaves his way to his car.The cop is immediately on to his behaviour and decides to see what happens next.

The guy after several attemts eventually gets the key into the car unlocks the car and gets in.Next thing is hazzard flashes come on engine roars in to life and the car lurches back acouple or yards,brakelights come on followed by severe grinding of the gears,car kangaroos forward a few yards and stops.

As all of this is going on several people leave the bar get in there cars and after quick look over to see what all the noise is they drive off. The cop by this time has decided he has to go and breathalise this bloke.so he ambles over to

the car knocks on the window and asks the bloke tostep out of the car,too whichhe gladly obliges.

"I would like you to take abreathaliser test sir"

"No point " says the bloke "why is that" asks the cop "I am the decoy"

fire starter

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 44 in Discussion

re post 22.

i watch a tv program many years ago, i'm sure it was one of the scandanavian countries which do have laws relating to driving whilst taking perscription drugs. something most of us do without a thought.

Turbo

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 09:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 44 in Discussion

The death rate in North and South regarding bad/drunk drivers is one of the highest in Euro.(almost daily)

If you drink and drive, you deserve to have the book thrown at you,,

If you want to kill/hurt yourslef thats fine I dont care, I do care about who you will hurt/kill with you..

The street lighting is bad enough without having blurry vision.

Ralph96

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 44 in Discussion

Last week the police stopped me and asked if I had been drinking,

I said yes I've had 10 pints of Stella and 6 spiffs,

The police man then asked me to blow into the bag,

I said, why ? don’t you believe me!!!!!!

Lemtich

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 44 in Discussion

I don't drink and drive!

The drinks slop all over the inside of the car when you go around corners!

Lem

Whistler

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 44 in Discussion

I cannot imagine how I would feel if I were to injure/kill a passenger in my car or a member of the public by such stupidity.

Puppylover, you are so right. The feeling is unimaginable. I knocked a 14 year old boy over, who was playing "chicken" and had done so before many times. Luckily, I had slowed right down for a junction and had not been drinking and he was relatively unharmed, but for a split second I cannot even begin to describe the feeling I had when it happened. It was three years ago and it still makes me feel sick.

britvic

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 44 in Discussion

My Father- in-law had gone to a wedding in Kyrenia and got blind drunk, on his way home in the car the Police pulled him over and drove him home! then a second Police man followed behind in my father-in-laws car, made sure he got to his flat OK (up three flights of stairs) and left! no warning no nothing.

w26kay

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 44 in Discussion

I read this thread and immediately thought about that young lady who is trying to raffle her house to go back to the UK for medical treatment. She said she was hit by a drunk driver, and has not fully recovered. Her future life, dreams and plans have been shattered by one thoughtless person, which is an absolute tragedy. Drinking and driving is one of the most selfish acts a person can commit. It is the indifference to the safety of other road users/passengers/pedestrians that really makes me cross.

So all those potential drink/drivers, before you drink, think....and leave those car keys at home.

puppylover

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 44 in Discussion

Well said w26kay.

I will always remember dealing with a guy when I worked for the MET police in London.

He was on his way out to celebrate his 30th birthday when a drink driver ploughed into him on the pavement and drove off.

Luckily a passing patrol car chased after the offender and caught him.

The victim who was following his dream of becoming a solicitor ended up in a coma for 3 months and when he came out of it he had to be told he had lost the use of his lower limbs, had permanent slurred speach due to nerve damage and was also deaf in one ear.

He spent months being taught how to do basic skills like feeding himself.

He was also the carer of his deaf/blind father and the reason I had contact with him was he was trying to find out what had happened to a gold chain he was wearing at the time of the incident.

This chain had sentimental value as his mother had left it to him when she died in a tragic accident.

I will always remember his positive attitude and how grateful he was when after several days of enquiries I was able to reunite him with his chain.

Having had contact with this really lovely guy made me vow that if I ever learnt to drive I would never drink and drive.

As w26kay says......leave those keys at home...please.

Think how you would feel if the guy I have mentioned was one of your family.

rowan

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 01:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 44 in Discussion

I haven,t posted on here before but I really do not know how anyone can make light of drink driving and the consequences, it appals me. I like a drink and I drive, but not at the same time, if I do one, I do not do the other.

w26kay

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 02:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 44 in Discussion

Puppylover yet another sad, tragic case to remember? All these stories of innocent victims and selfish inconsiderate drunk drivers - it just beggers belief!

Like you ever since I passed my test. Zero alcohol when driving. My friends on evenings out think I am vv strange and try and encourage me. The day I passed my test, I said to myself.... you are behind the wheel of a killing machine, and dont you ever forget it! And I never have.

Please everyone look at Puppylover's story and that of Sam's, and stop and think???!!!! It's just not worth the risk of your life, your passenger's life and that of innocent victims. Leave the car keys at home.

Turbo

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 07:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 44 in Discussion

Designated drivers or a taxi works out to be a lot cheaper than a fine or a life.

Here in the States, it is a mandatory night in jail, plus fines, loss of license , lawyer fees, sky high insurance ,if you can get insurance after a drink and drive ticket.

Traffic school, all adds up to 1000's $. God forbid someone gets killed, it is classed as "vehicular manslaughter"

You want to take the risk? Hope no one gets hurt, only the driver whom we have no sympathy for.

Just think, it could be a young kid crossing a dark street, the same age as a grandkid or son/ daughter.

As you guessed, i feel very strongly about drunk drivers. I guarantee you will never forget it if you hurt some innocent.

Think again, is it worth it.?

Turbo

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 08:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 44 in Discussion

I should tel you why I feel so strongly;

The day I stopped being a firefighter was the day I was on a call to an accident scene, a teenager was hit on his motorcycle by a drunk driver. I wont get graphic and tell you what I saw when I pulled off his crash helmet.

That was my last day as a firefighter. I guess i didnt have what it takes,.

I had just become a dad and seeing something like that brought out emotions i didnt know existed, I am sure all you parents out there can relate.

That teenager was someones son, his life ended in a horrible way at 17, because of a drunk driver.

So think twice before you drink that local alcohol that is so much stronger than your regular Absolute or Tanqueray.

phylray

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 09:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 44 in Discussion

I have noticed that many Brits. abroad ignore drink/driving and other

laws. It was the same in Gulf when I worked there. It was the same

with safety belts, but as soon as they crossed the border into Oman (just

over a roundabout) they snapped them on as it was stricter there. Then

you would see them undo them when they came back to U.A.E.

They also smoke in restaurants, not allowed now, and it makes me quite

sick. Drink driving is the worst though, & they must stupid. Relative of mine

lost a 17 year old son too, hit by a drunk driver on wrong side of road.

How would anyone feel if it was theirs?

puppylover

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 44 in Discussion

Turbo.

Another very sad incident to add to the list of innocent victims due to the selfishness of a drink driver.

I am sure you did have what it takes to be a firefighter but as you say when you become a parent you become more protective and the thought that the victim you dealt with could have been your precious child becomes a stronger emotion within us.

During my time with the MET police I met parents, relatives and friends of victims injured/killed by drink drivers and it broke my heart when they asked "why?"

Only the person behind the wheel who couldn't say "no" to a drink can answer that.

I only hope that by opening this thread that any members of this board who reads the comments listed and does drink and drive will stop and think of the

consequences should they injure/kill an innocent victim.

I like to think of myself as a decent human being who values not only my own life but those of others and the day that I am persuaded to have that one drink is the day I will stop driving.

Turbo

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 44 in Discussion

Puppylover , thanks i know exactly what you are saying.

Another situation to add is peer pressure.

You know how it goes , after a couple of drinks you get the real "brave" ones saying:

"oh come on dont go have one more"

"one for the road"

"its not that far" etc etc.. if you think these people are your friends, think again...

Tiggy

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 44 in Discussion

A friend of mine "Mickey" was mown down on a zebra crossing by a drunk driver on Christmas day morning 15+ years ago. His legs were crushed was on the critical list for some time. After several months in hospital, followed by years of numerous operations with grafting, resetting bones and loads of metal pins etc he is still in constant pain. His walk is lop sided and makes you feel for him.

The scumbag who did this was hit and run and crashed the car further down the road. He was so far over the limit he could hardly stand up. He was on a ban so was not insured, No tax and all the rest that goes with it.

This dirty article did not receive even a day in prison and the paltry fine he received was not paid. The most horrible part is this bas@ard did not even apologise and got off scot free.

Mickey was advised to take out a private case and took nearly eight years of wrangling before any compensation was agreed on. The DD solicitor’s first letter claimed that my friend was Harassing his client!!!!!

So in my opinion (and only mine) anyone that is killed or seriously hurt by a boozer that drives, then that person committing the offence should be locked up for life.

Cheers,

P.

phylray

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 44 in Discussion

I entirely agree Tiggy. No way this s.. should have been allowed to be

free and even to get away with not paying his fine! Not justice

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.