North Cyprus Tourist Board - Bringing a uk car thru the south and driving it here on south plates
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Bringing a uk car thru the south and driving it here on south plates

Bringing a uk car thru the south and driving it here on south plates

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

ataturk

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 09:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

I just cant afford the prices here for cars and we still have our car in th UK we are looking to bring it over to the south and register it there and drive it on the North does anybody know if we have to pay any tax on the south and what are the laws with driving it here all the time. I cant seem to find the right answers

johnty

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

There are a lot of second hand cars here. Sell your car in the uk and bring the money. You will have to pay tax in the south and if you go over the boarder a lot will be asked eventually why? and why you havent paid tax in the north. If you bring your british car here you will be taxed heavily now about 70% of the cars worth not like before between 40 and 50%. Dont do it plenty of second hand cars especially with the exodus of the Brits.

ginger

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Exodus of the Brits?? is there something we should know - as we are planning a move to TC!!

why are the brits leaving - is it that bad?

PtePike

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

ginger,

When North Cyprus was a little-known backwater in the early 90s and before, it was a truly happy place to settle and buy property. But after the failure of the 2004 peace plan a stampede of foolish people arrived to buy Greek Cypriot property on the cheap. many of these individuals had little or know knowledge of the historical framework of Cyprus or the political instability of the "TRNC". Corruption and dishonesty among developers flourished when they realised just how ignorant many of the British settlers were. Now many of these expats are financially ruined and facing up to having made one of the biggest mistakes of their lives. They didn't know what they were getting into because had it not been for cheap and illegal property being flogged, they would have stayed in their comfort zone of two weeks a year on the Costa Blanca.

My advice would be to wait for the outcome of the current peace talks, or consider other places in the sun which are better value and safer to invest in.

johnty

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 12:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

I agree with PtePike. Having spoken to a lot of Brits here some are dissilusioned with north cyprus as spoken above ,but the main thing seems to be they didnt have enough money in the first place to come and settle. There english pensions were not going far enough and any capital they had was dissapearing fast due to cost of living and any unforeseen costs due to builders not keeping their promises and people having to pay extra just to get their home up and running. you need to have paid for your house and have atleast i think £100,000 in bank.

PtePike

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

johnty msg 5,

Good advice especially your final sentence regarding a realistic pot of money.

Biker

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

The hardship being experienced by british people on Cyprus is true and North cyprus is not as cheap to live as it used to be.

But the reality is the cost of living is going up everywhere in the world.

Cost of gas has gone up by 28 % and electricity by 18% recently in UK again after the last price increases. Car tax is increasing disproportionatly to inflation too. House prices have dropped 10-15% depending on area.

People who do not have enough reserves are feeling the pinch everywhere in the world. So the outlook is not great anywhere in the world.

If you can afford to buy a new car in Cyprus then the price difference is not great, but older cars seem to hold their value much more in NC so if your car is less than 5 years old it can be brought in. Small european cars (under 1600 cc) duty is about 40% plus 1400 dollars. So the duty can be worked out and it is worthwhile it is good idea to bring own car as you know the history on it.

hattikins

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

We have many friends in TRNC, none of them are even thinking of returning to the UK, yes prices have gone up there but so have they everywhere else in the world. I am certainly not aware of the mass exodus that some people talk about.

terkar

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Does'nt fill me with great confidence about buying in the TRNC, with the vast exodus of expats,anybody else feel the same way

Terry

joandjelly

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

How many Brits have bought here and how many have left or are leaving? Before we start talking about an exodus surely this information needs to be established.

More like over-exaggeration I think.

shytallknight

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

I think joandjelly has a point, there are loads of new ex pats turning up every day, visiting and buying.

fire starter

Message Posted:
15/09/2008 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

i think a lots of people are looking to leave,as in the event of a solution happening they are unsure of what will happen. if you live on exchange land there could be the possibility of return, compensation or future problems. i think it would be prudent for all to wait to see the outcome of the orams legal battle , which is due any day now so i believe. this will sent the presedent for future claims.

nostradamus

Message Posted:
15/09/2008 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

I don't think it would be financially worthwhile to bring a car into the south from the UK. Cars can be bought Greek side for very much less than in the TRNC. I am quite well acquainted with the possible problems of running a GC reg car here in the north and would be happy to give you any info as I know it. It's really too complex to put in a posting but you can call me on 0542-8518421 if I can be of any help.

Marion

baxi7

Message Posted:
17/10/2008 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

example - small car - clio,micra , alto , smart , shipped from southampton to limassol by grimaldi £381 , may 08 .port fees 300 euros agent 100 euros , reg , emission , test , tax , all done in one day .(address needed in south ) .

ataturk

Message Posted:
18/10/2008 00:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

i have heard from a friend that from the 1st of Jan 2009 that the south side of cyprus cannot charge customs on vehicles coming in from eu countries. Apparently they have been charging duty on cars for three years since they joined the eu but now the eu has told them that they cannot charge duty. I am hoping that this means that I am able to bring my car from the uk register it on the greek side and drive it on both sides. My car is worth only £3000 in the UK but they want at least £3000 in duty on the north side of cyprus so its not worth while but if the law has changed on the greek side it would be worthwhile me bringing it over as it is just sitting in the UK. Doeds anyone know anything about this law

johnty

Message Posted:
18/10/2008 09:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

If that is the case the turkish cypriot side will know about it and I cant see them alowing south side plates over without out some sort of tax or proof that you live there and you are visiting. Eventually if you live in the north you will be a resident and when you cross the border it will be as plain as day in your passport that you live here and have a south cyprus car.

fire starter

Message Posted:
18/10/2008 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

i have english friends in the south.

it is not straight forward to take a car in there!

you will need a south address and residency. along with proof of bills like council tax, electric and water in your name.

gillken

Message Posted:
18/10/2008 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Why are cars so expensive in the TRNC?

I'm after a nice renault 12 with AC. How much would that cost me?

flightholiday

Message Posted:
18/10/2008 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Ginger,

Something that many do not mention is that a lot of purchases of any property "abroad" (and in the UK) were/are made as a speculative investment.

1] Look at all the other countries where the Brit's have bought that also have problems.

2] If the speculation goes wrong don't automaticaly blame the investment or country - look at the advisors and the lack of background knowledge of the buyers

3] Test the water if your intention is to live somewhere new (another country) go and live there on a rental for at least 6 months before you make any deccision. If you cant afford to do that you probably can't afford to take any risks either.

4] Learn as much as you can "buyer beware" nad leave your rose tinted contact lenses in a waste bin before doing anything!

5] If you are only after money making you know there are a lot of wise sayings that tell you - it is all at your own risk!

breezyboy

Message Posted:
19/10/2008 16:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

excellent post Fligh holiday. Sure it will help quite a few people.

baxi7

Message Posted:
21/10/2008 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

have never known a country like the trnc where they keep moving the goalpost,s .

mitsi

Message Posted:
21/10/2008 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

We know many Brits and some Germans all wanting to move away. Problem is they can't sell their properties. Many want to go to Turkey. One person has been here 28 years and grown steadily sick of the rules,changes to legislation and predjudice towards Brits claiming that it is rife. All say given their time again they would not buy here but might rent.

Groucho

Message Posted:
21/10/2008 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Pack your brain in your suitcase when you go on holiday otherwise you are sure to forget it!

I would also add the maxim... if it was twice as expensive it's still probably too good to be true...

Do you homework... then do it again properly...

girne 29

Message Posted:
21/10/2008 17:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

ohnty.

''There english pensions were not going far enough and any capital they had was dissapearing fast due to cost of living and any unforeseen cost

js due to builders not keeping their promises and people having to pay extra just to get their home up and running. you need to have paid for your house and have atleast i think £100,000 in bank.''.

Agree thats the problem,you can only get so much milk out the cow. Most people retiring in UK ,France, Spain etc, do not need a spare £100,000 in the bank to get by , but I dont think in trnc you would need that full amount if you had a good pension.,not yet anyway.

Stay the course if you can

If some sort of agreement puts the north on a similar footing to the south then hopefully inflation in the north, presently at 2 to 3 times the european averages,will come down ,as will the size of the bloated civil service. Thats a huge

reduction in cost of living.

redboxer

Message Posted:
21/10/2008 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

£100,000 to get by-please could people out there verify this. I might as well pitch my tent in scotland if this is what is required to live out there.

We have bought a house in NC and plan to move out over the next 6 months. The car is a major problem but am I right in saying that you can take your own car and use it for a year before paying any tax? Who knows what a year will bring? There must be a way around this car problem. S.H cars are too expensive in NC.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.