North Cyprus Tourist Board - British High Commission Lethargy ?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > British High Commission Lethargy ?

British High Commission Lethargy ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Rental Guide

birdman

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Tony Davey is still languishing in prison, WITHOUT BEING CHARGED, WHY?

Tony had an accident, possibly/probably, through no fault of his own. Whilst he was overtaking a vehicle,quite legally, and within the speed limit, two youths came out of a junction on a scooter, without checking for oncoming traffic. They had NO LIGHTS ON or helmets or reflective jackets, or protective clothing .Blind to Tony on the Main Road, overtaking the vehicle, they proceeded to join the main road without pausing.

THEY HIT HIS CAR , throwing them into the road. A following car hit the youths and killed them!. That driver is NOT IN PRISON ? WHY ?

Tony was driving cautiously, not speeding and had NOT BEEN DRINKING.

Of course we all feel for the families of the two youths. But youths DO reckless things on motor -cycles. (I'm a motor biker myself)

This was a tradgic accident and TONY DAVEY is still in prison WITHOUT CHARGE.

When are the authorities going to rectify this injustice?

Gerry Lee

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 23:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

It's an appalling situation.

brother

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

I find this unbelievable. Has there been a petition to any UK authority without response?

Maz

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 00:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

I was told by a Turkish Cypriot friend that Mr Davey is in prison because someone waskilled, and he was around. I heard that the other car sped off. So a bird in the hand is worth the two that got away. Seems terribly unfair and unjust and the current strike does not help. I also heard that the B.H.C said they could do nothing.

Others have tried to intervene but have been told to 'back off' mainly because of my first comment and the story that is being told that Mr Davey is in there for his own protection. The families of the boys that are dead could well seek revenge even if Mr Davey is not guilty. He is a ready scape goat.

Not knowing enough of the law here, I do wonder what might happen if it had been a foreiginer in U.K involved, as to whether they would be detained in similar circumstances. It does seem daft that Mr Davey cannot leave the ocuntry as his passport has been taken, but I am assured it is all to do with what I said at the beginning.

birdman

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 00:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

I would love to know what the British High Commission/ Consulate are doing about this ?

Why has there been NO charge in over three weeks? ( and if NO CHARGE, why is he still in prison?)

Why has the international Community not created a fuss over this appalling travesty of justice?

To say he is still in prison for his own protection is absolute balderdash ! Isn't that why there is a police force?

Gerry Lee

birdman

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 00:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Please forum readers, keep this at the top as TONY DAVEY is still locked up in Prison in Lefkosia.

Maurice, his cousin is now over for a couple of weeks to try and help Tony but if anyone knows of any other way to help him please let me know. Food /books /visits, anything that would get him some justice.

Thanks,

Gerry Lee

Meerkat

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 02:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

What about a signed petition to the British High Commission. It sounds unjust & I feel for the families. The High commission is there for a reason & they should be making their investigations into this to help him.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 02:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Is the driver/second car that killed the youths, not known? If so, that means the ONLY witness/person with any knowledge of this tragic mess - is Mr Davey. What an appalling position to be in. Of COURSE the parents of the two deceased youths, in their grief - want revenge, and we parents never want to think our children were in the wrong - so it could well be that Mr Davey IS being held, for his own safety. That said, SURELY the BHC should have visited him, be helping him - poor bloke.

My daughter and her boyfriend were thrown from their motorbike last year near Girne, a car came out the side road (I was here in England) and they told me they swerved to avoid it - nothing and no-one went to Court - I'm not taking a position either way, only have their side of the story, they were both badly scraped along the road; the Hospital took X-rays, both recovered well, but I will say, the driving can be pretty laissez faire at the best of times there. I wish Mr Davey well.

negativenick

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 05:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

why would the authorities listen to the Brits ??

They've not listened / done feck all regarding the terrible property problems countless purchasers have..........

Yet another drawback of living in a 3rd world country, i'm afraid........

You'll always be a 3rd class citizen in the TRNC with zero rights........

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Representatives from the BHC will be visiting Mr Davey on a regular basis but I am afraid that, just as in other countries throughout the world, they have little, if no influence on getting an individual released, regardless of the circumstances surrounding his incarceration.

Bearing in mind his age and the fact that his passport has been taken so he therefore cannot be considered a 'flight risk', one would have hoped that he could have been released on a more reasonable bail. However, this is the TRNC and they have their own procedures which are not being helped by the ongoing strikes. As 'visitors' to this place, one has to abide by their 'rules' !!

I only hope that he is being treated well and that his nightmare is brought to a swift conclusion.

Paul

doggiesteve

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 08:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

I am told that his advocate has asked that there is no discussion of what is going on with the case as this may harm his defense / have an undesirable effect on his case.

From what I have read he is being held NOT for his own safety but because he is unable to raise 200thousand pounds surety .

the previous threads on this topic have been closed I suggest in light of requests from his advocate and friends this is also closed, no one would wish to unnecessarily prolong his incarceration by posing on here when requested not to do so by his advocate.

http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com/2011/02/17/anthony-davey-is-no-news-good-news/

birdman

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 08:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

I'm sorry Doggiesteve but I can't agree with his advocates that Tony Daveys' plight should be ignored and not discussed. Of Course THEY wish it was not discussed in open forum as it is detrimental to THEMSELVES for NOT obtaining a release for him.

The bale , set by the courts is ludicrous. ( I have heard it is £300,000 but may be wrong ?)

How can open discussion HARM " HIS DEFENCE ?" (What defence ? What Charge?)

Tony is no youngster and only has a new partner to assist him with needs whilst he is "LOCKED_UP" with limited visiting times also.

What is going on?

Gerry Lee.

doggiesteve

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

the bail was 10,000 th this was raised with out delay surety of 200k was required of Tony and another moterist involved , he raised the 200k surety and has been released.

no matter if you agree or disagree with the advocate the word was passed down the line to stop any campaign/ internet discussions on the case .

the previous thread the thread on this subjectwas closed down >> citing a large number of requests from their members and people close to Mr Davey. <<

HAS this NOW CHANGED ?

malsancak

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

to confirm what doggiesteve has already said, Mr Davey, apparently through friends and at the advice of his advocate, had asked that we do not speculate about his case on the pages of North Cyprus Free Press. If someone close to him have been told differently then they have not communicated it to us.

You will also notice that the other local newspapers no longer carry anything about the case. As for negativenick's claim that Mr Davey's case shows the TRNC is a 3rd world country, compared to the UK they are quite civilised: "Babar Ahmad, 35, is the longest-serving prisoner held without charge or trial in the UK" http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/six-years-in-jail-no-charge-the-war-on-terrors-forgotten-victim-speaks-2021138.html

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 20:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.