North Cyprus Tourist Board - driving lessons what a joke on the island
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > driving lessons what a joke on the island

driving lessons what a joke on the island

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

kimosh

Message Posted:
25/09/2008 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

WOULD YOU PASS IN 2 HOURS IN UK

icklepix

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

what process do u have to go through to obtain a licence, i dont have one in the uk and would certainly want one if i were to move to the north, i've heard loadsa different stories - can anyone tell me the exact process please

Kitty Kat Jac

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

I passed my test in the TRNC, there are two driving schools near the police station that you can learn with. I think you need your residency before you can do it. After that it is pretty straight forward. I had to pay for 10 lessons but i think i only had four. Had to do a theory test but i was told what questions would be asked. Basically you pay for your licence. I never even went out of second gear on my test.

Wilts Girl

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

If you pass in TRNC are you allowed to drive on that liscence in the UK?

Been trying to pass my test in UK for a while now, maybe I could couple a nice holiday in TRNC with passing my test, it would probably work out cheaper at £25 a lesson in the UK and after all the lessons I've had!

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 16:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Kimosh

I've heard of intensive driving courses, but that takes the biscuit!

Last I heard, you had to drive a car from A to B (yards) and, hey presto, you are a qualified driver! I did hear they were going to make it stricter - hence a couple of driving schools, but doesn't seem anything has changed! Only the wherewithal to charge people for "lessons"

Regards

J

Kitty Kat Jac

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 16:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Dont hold me to this but i got told loads of different info when i passed. So i contacted the DVLA and they sent me an email.

Thank you for your email.

I am afraid we have no agreement with the North Cypriot Licence Issuing Authorities to exchange licences between the two countries.

As a resident, provided your full licence remains valid, you may drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you become resident.

To ensure continuous driving entitlement a provisional British licence must have been obtained and the relevant driving test(s) passed before the 12 -month period elapses.

If you obtain a provisional licence during this period, you will not be subject to provisional licence conditions e.g. displaying L-plates or being supervised by a qualified driver or being precluded from motorways.

However, if you do not pass a test within the 12-month concessionary period you will not be allowed to drive as a full licenc

Kitty Kat Jac

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

licence holder and provisional licence conditions will apply.

If you do not apply for a provisional licence within the first 12 months, you must stop driving and obtain a British provisional licence with a view to passing a driving test. Provisional licence conditions will then apply.

New residents may not drive large vehicles until they have passed the relevant British driving test. LGV/PCV (lorry/bus) driving test candidates are required to pass a motor car (category B) test first, before applying for provisional entitlement for larger vehicles.

To apply for a provisional licence, please ask at the Post Office® for a new D1 photocard application form. The current fee is £45.00.

For information regarding tests please contact the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) on the following telephone numbers :-

0870 0101 372 or 0115 901 2500

E mail address - customer.services@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

Hope this helps x

ianwfs

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Wilts Girl,

You can use your TRNC licence in the UK for a maximum of 12 months. After that, you have to take a UK test if you want to continue driving.

Ian

Wilts Girl

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 16:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Ok, not a way around passing in the UK then but like a temorary licence for 12 months.

Would things be differnet given I am already a UK resident? I.e does this only apply to those coming to live in UK for first time?

Kitty Kat Jac

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

No i dont think so, im a UK resident and came here to live. Another option would be to move here, i would never go back to the UK after living here for the past 3 years

Nemika

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

hi i think kimosh is referring to me on this post i went to OZBEK near the police station in girne i was told it was 1000ytl for my lessons and driving test and licence. so i went ahead. my dad is a driving instructor back in the uk so i run it passed him and he said it was exspencive but go ahead any way.

i had to do my theory test first i was asked 4 questions, then he told me i passed i then had two driving lessons and told my test was in 3 days time. my test was 9 mins long i just drove around the block. there was a few questions asked too nothing hard. then he passed me. my dad was out on holiday at the time so we went to pay our bill. it was £700 STG we was gob smacked. i only had two lessons they said the gorverment put the price up. luckly my dad was out here as he wouldnt let me drive alone till the thought i was at the uk standards. i think the driving test here are a big joke they didnt teach me how to reverse or park.

icklepix

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 22:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

OMG, there are s many different stories about taking ur test, i heard that u have to take a written test and its in turkish so i'm assuming thats not true? it really does sound like u are just paying for ur licence - no wonder everyone drives like nutters!

Nemika

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

no there is no written test i was asked 4 question which where what are these symbols. NO RIGHT TURN, NO U TURN, NO PARKING and GIVE WAY. simple as that. you are only paying for you licence indeed but you only get one year then you need to renew your card again. and its only about 200ytl for a 2 year licence so how do you justify paying £700 for 2 lessons and a year licence. much cheaper to fly back to uk and do it there. wish i had

Coachie

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Some one has cottoned on to nice little earner there havent they.. cheeky barstools.

PtePike

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

So Turks and Turkish Cypriots also have to pay £700 to take the test? For some reason I'm doubtful.

icklepix

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

i quite liked the sound of 4 questions, until i read the rest, its a bit cheeky if u have to pay all that money everytime i'm sure ur right ptepike, i bet the turks/turk cyps dont have to pay all that!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.