North Cyprus Tourist Board - TRNC Driving Licence
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > TRNC Driving Licence

TRNC Driving Licence

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

helot

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Can anyone advise me as I am in a dilema,I am going back to the UK soon for a family wedding and was hoping to update my UK drivers licence as I am led to believe you need to give them a UK address where you an be contacted you dont have to be living there so I will give my parents because if for whatever reason they try and contact you and cant they will destroy your records and If you want to drive in the UK you will have to resit your tests.but the thing is I will need to post my licence to them to get the address updated that is why I want to do it when I am in the uk,so before I go I will need to get a TRNC licence incase I get stopped AGAIN! at a police check and need to show my licence so does anyone know what I need to do to get one i.e what paper work is necessary and how many STAMPS(as we all know how much they love stamps)

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Helot

You need your passport, two photos, photocopy of your passport showing your residency and photopage and the fee whether you want the licence to run for 1, 2, 3 5 or 10 years. I think that's everything. You will be issued with a green slip which allows you to drive. Your new licence will be ready for collection one week later.

Karen

Navek

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 16:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Helot,

To update your UK driving licence, just complete a change of address form, to your parents address, think it's free.

Get someone to have one ready for you to fill in and post as soon as you arrive.

Good luck

Navek

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 16:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Helot

As far as your TRNC license is concerned you can get it sorted out in a day. There is a driving school on the outskirts of Girne up near the market that are well connected shall we say. If you go in with all of your documents and photos first thing in the morning then they will do what is required and you will get your license at the end of the same day. Not sure what it will cost you but it is not expensive.

AJ

OLDGIRL

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 17:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Hello Helot.

I work for a car rental company and know a bit about the good old uk licence.

If you have the old pink one when you apply for a change of address on it dont forget to send 2 passport size photos the new form and your old licence,

DVLA normally send the new one back in about 10 days.

That will last for 10 years ONLY they then ask for a new photo and more payment.The first one if change of address is free.

Remember there are 2 parts of it the big green part is the licence not the photo card.

Sorry dont know about TRNC one but on this forum some-one will.

helot

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Thanks everyone all good stuff especially now knowing about the driving school in Girne as I was dreading going into nicosia.are you saying Alsancakjack that its near the Wednesday Market by the police station and Orangekazzie do you have a rough idea what the fees are as I hate stnding in these que's only to find either I haven't enough money or stamps or somethings missing.

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Helot

Sorry I really can't remember how much. I know it differs depending on what length of time you want the licence for obviously 10 year works out cheaper than a 1 year licence.

I think for a 3 year one it was around 200ytl.

Karen

brian24001

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Helot,

If your UK licence is the old green type you will have to apply for the new pink picture type, as the green ones are no longer re-newed, this requires another form of photo ID sent to get it, and this i am afraid may well mean your passport, you also have to get one of the pictures countersigned (GP, solicitor etc).

If you have an old address on a green licence, leave things alone, this licence doesn't expire until you are 65 (or is it 70), you are not committing any offence by not changing your address as the DVLA rule is that they will not change an address for a non-resident, but you can inform them if you return to the UK and update the address then, I have the email from them to confirm this.

If you need any more info, email me a phone number ( brian_bbmail@yahoo.co.uk ) and I can explain all, I know the rules quite well.

Cheers

Brian

Treesy

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 19:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Hi

my husband has just got his TRNC licence from Lefkosa- it cost him 150 ytl for a 2 year one. It took one week.

He went in driving school last week to buy some stamps for my in-out papers to renew my work visa - 6ytl for 8ytl - but saved a trip to post office!

They quoted 200ytl to do mine!

Hope this helps

fire starter

Message Posted:
17/10/2008 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

if you go to the office which does the driving licences, there is a little lady who sits outside the door.

she will help you fill in the correct form and put it in to the correct department for you. she will tell you when to go back to her for it. i'm sure we gave her a couple of liras for her service.

failing that get a cypriot friend to help, that should speed things up.

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
17/10/2008 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Just to add to OrangeKazzie's post, you will also need a photocopy of your UK driving licence and a completed application form. They wanted copies of both sides of the licence for some strange reason even though we had the old paper type ones.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
17/10/2008 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

'Thanks everyone all good stuff especially now knowing about the driving school in Girne as I was dreading going into nicosia.are you saying Alsancakjack that its near the Wednesday Market by the police station.'

Helot, yep it is the first driving school on the left as you drive up towards the Police Station/Wednesday Market. No queue's, English spoken, other services available. Just nip in and see what is required and what the cost's are and If you go for it you will find it is a pretty painless experience.

AJ

ataturk

Message Posted:
19/10/2008 23:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Dont bother with a trnc drivers licence just photcopy the old one and keep it in the car if you get stopped by the police just tell them that you have sent it off for renewal and show them the copy. It works for me all the time and that way you cant get any points on your licence like the TRNC one

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.