North Cyprus Tourist Board - alert!!! illegal cabbies, lets put a stop to them!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > alert!!! illegal cabbies, lets put a stop to them!

alert!!! illegal cabbies, lets put a stop to them!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Rental Guide

TaxiExpress

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 54 in Discussion

There are many pirate taxi drivers out there who maybe giving you lower rates but please note they are not insured and do not have legal professional licenses to transfer you.

We Legal Taxi Drivers have had enough of this; we pay our VAT, National Insurances, and Taxes and pay a lot of money for our licenses and to keep our cars in good, clean and safe working conditions. Our government gives us our Licenses to do our Jobs legally and professionally. If you like it or not there is a Government and Law in TRNC. For those of you out there who believe that we have no Government or Law are wrong and those of you who use these illegally run taxi services are playing with our bread money by backing up these illegal taxi drivers.

Please hear what we are saying, for our sake and also for your own safety and security. If you were to have an accident in one of those illegal taxis you would not be insured, so think twice before you use them.

TaxiExpress

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 54 in Discussion

Also there are people running transfers in hired cars with red number plates, please do not except, they are not insured to transfer passengers, it is illegal for them to do so and you are putting yourselves at risk by using them.

They would not get away with it in England, the registered legal taxi drivers would most certainly see to that, so why should regulations be any different in TRNC.

It is time to start treating Legal taxi drivers with respect. So please do not put your lives at risk and do not play with our bread money.

rowlo

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 54 in Discussion

ok point taken , what about the builders then , and while were on it the sat systems that rip us off , and why do most places in the harbour charge euros ? and how come a 10year old car costs well 10k when in the uk it would cost 1k , dont tell us about health & safety matey , its shut our country down , they are the only ones left working , by the way wanna buy a cheap taxi .

deputydawg

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 54 in Discussion

I am doing my bit. I do my best to avoid getting in taxis or driving anywhere near them, legal or otherwise, in any country.

Mr Vince

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 54 in Discussion

Take your life in your hands and use a regulated taxi. Worst drivers on the road in TRNC and thats saying something, because there are some serious dipstick drivers here.

michelle3012

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 54 in Discussion

Message 1 & 2....You are joking the last time i paid for and used a liciensed taxi he nearly killed us! Fell asleep at the wheel, swirving all over the road, drove so close to cars he was overtaking i had to shut my eyes becasue we were 2 inches away...no way would i use them again i would rather walk!

0maintenance

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 54 in Discussion

How would i know if its a pirate taxi?

If your walking along the road some times,a car may slow down and a voice comes from the car "TAXEEEE"

should i ask if he is a "pirate"?

If he says,im not a pirate, should i then get in the car,if i was looking for a "TAXEEEE"

But how do i know he is not a "PIRATE" he could be lieing to me !

Could you please tell me the tell tale signs to look for when trying to spot a "PIRATE" or should i just ignore all men who shout "TAXEEEE" !

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 54 in Discussion

a pirate will have a parrot on his shoulder

0maintenance

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 54 in Discussion

How do you stop a parrot pooing in ur car

Dont get in a "TAXEEEE"

Brinsley

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 22:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 54 in Discussion

The majority of the Merc taxi's are left-hookers, drivers constantly on a mobile phone with left elbow dangling out of the window, over charged rates; Yes, it's a hard juggling job to make a living as a cabbie!

Richard

lionel

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 54 in Discussion

A legit taxi has a t plate ......choose whatever u like...personally i take a legit one due to insurance ...yes some are bad ..some are good !

moxie

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 54 in Discussion

if you get stopped at the border and miss your flight then so be it...how dare you all openly moonlight openly in front of legitimate taxi drivers..they know who you are and will give your reg no to border police....and you all moan about illegals in the UK !!!!yes there are bad taxi drivers here but im also sure that applies to all countries , does it not ?

moxie

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 23:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 54 in Discussion

opps 2 nmany openlys!!!

moxie

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 23:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 54 in Discussion

btw ..Rowlo the thread is not about strange peole who hand over their lifes saving for a site plan !!!

michelle3012

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 54 in Discussion

'Lifes' do you mean LIVES??

DoctorW

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 54 in Discussion

Message 14. I think Rowlo made his comment due to the quote by taxi driver 'If you like it or not there is

Government and law in TRNC'. It seems to me that the TRNC needs to get their acts together and prove there are effective laws that protect the innocent. I have used legal taxis on four occasions on airport runs. On only one of these occasions would I say the driver was not very good. On the other three occasions I admit I have been terrified out of my wits. Drivers falling asleep at the wheel, driving incredibly close to vehicles in front at high speeds and weaving between lanes almost crashing into other vehicles. I have used taxis in London, new York and other parts of the states as well as many european and eastern european countries. I have had bad drivers in most but never had I met with such poor driving as TRNC taxi drivers. Where is the law in TRNC that keeps these idiots off the road?

moxie

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 54 in Discussion

No Michelle ....Lifes , as in savings ...Lives is not relevant to my statement! Doctorw , with all due respect this is about Taxis ,not the farce of building here.

whilst I can see what you are saying, i am also aware of the many Bar owners etc who run illegal taxi services., and there are bad Taxi Drivers ..how would the bar owner feel if a taxi pulled up selling beer outside his bar ???, its about respect for the country you resdie in, and if you dont like the taxi....COMPLAIN!! only use reputable companies like VIP !!! for gods sake there are many more good ones than bad here, but i expect that everyone goes for the cheapest, (Brit mentality)where drivers are worked 24/7 , maybe stop trying to save a fiver and get a good service.insured ?

settledhere

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 07:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 54 in Discussion

Is a LEGAL!!!!! taxi insured over the border when he covers his T (denoting taxi) up on his legitimate taxi plate?

negativenick

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 07:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 54 in Discussion

mess 1 - you have no insurance when you go to the south....

The only insurance a TRNC registered vehicle can buy is "private car insurance" at the border - this is third party cover, for private use (excluding hire and reward)..........

So, your taxi isn't insured correctly in the south - and therefore illegal............

Better to bung a mate a few quid - at least you'll be paying less.........

billybob

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 08:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 54 in Discussion

I take what youre saying taxiexpress, but your mates bring a lot of it on thereselves, We were charged 110tl from Ercan to Kulaksiz Tatlisu recently, a total rip off at about £45

ivebinad

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 08:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 54 in Discussion

nn bought your pool paint email me plz

DoctorW

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 08:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 54 in Discussion

Better still fly into Ercan and get your hire car from the airport. Cut out the mad taxi drivers (except the ones driving dangerously or falling asleep at the wheel as they pick up other unsuspecting tourists, that you have to avoid driving from the airport). As far as I am concerned you are just as dead if you are killed by a licensed taxi as a pirate.

waddo

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 09:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 54 in Discussion

Licensed taxi's must have a meter installed, go by the price on the meter or agree a price before hand, its that simple. The meter must be running whilst the taxi is in motion regardless of the agreed price - if you should ever take a legal taxi to Larnaca airport you may well notice that the "metered" cost is around 400TL yet you get the whole trip for around £100.00 or 250TL - ish - and if you don't just go for the cheap option of a mates car or some body who is doing this work illegally, you get to pick the taxi you have confidence in and travel in style instead. I have traveled back and forth to Larnaca a few times (meeting visitors and seeing them off) over the years, a few times at speeds I would not drive at because I don't know the roads or the traffic but have never felt in danger. The good licensed taxi's do this work for a living - not for beer money, choose wisely and increase your chance of a safe and comfortable journey!

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 09:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 54 in Discussion

Waddo I think you must be dreaming, I have never ever been charged £100 for a Larnaca - Girne or Girne - Larnaca unless you are talking about a round trip of course ?

£45/£50 is the average

yrret

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 09:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 54 in Discussion

You actually help the economy more by not using a 'legit' taxi.

If you pay a legit taxi driver, he pays taxes etc which go straight to the gov.

If you pay a non-legit service, the money goes straight into his (or her) pocket.

This money then gets spent, so the next business in the chain pays the taxes, they also employ staff who pay NI etc, and so on down the chain.

A successful economy uses monies a number of times to collect taxes at differing sources/levels, that way more people benefit along the way, and the same %age is lost to the gov at each stage.

It's about the economic 'money go round' not direct taxation which slows growth in the economy which is where this place gets it all wrong.

waddo

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 09:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 54 in Discussion

Msg 24, sorry, did mean a round trip and not a single journey.

Msg 25, bigger picture needed there - that is the same as saying do not use legit police or legit doctors or legit anything, just because they have to pay taxes to the government??? Bet you would rather use a non-legit surgeon than a fully licensed and trained one any day, anything to help the economy??? Where is the money going to come from for the state hospitals, the schools, etc, etc? In your world of never pay taxes and use non-legit services instead all you create are a Nation of people committed to life on Social Security - and who pays for that?

The people who pay are the people who pay taxes to a government that they may not even like or support but are people who stick by the law of the land. Its the rules of society not the rules of the government that people tend to follow or just ignore end up as the guy on TV some time back who had the cry of "Loads A Money" - fine example he was.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 54 in Discussion

The local legit taxi in Esentepe is great, polite and punctual. He doesn't sit on the phone or drive badly and well deserves your custom.

However a few weeks ago I had to get a taxi off the rank at Ercan who would only use the meter. It was midnight so just got on with it. Charge was £53 when the local is £25. Like every other airport taxi in the world they know when they have you by the knackers at midnight. Why do they think we should have any sympathy for them?

girderjack99

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 54 in Discussion

karpaz legit taxi hits child on cycle !

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kibrisgazetesi.com%2Fpopup.php%2Fcat%2F2%2Fnews%2F118758%2FPageName%2FIc_Haberler&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=windows-1254

waddo

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 54 in Discussion

Msg 28, don't really see the point in the post? Could just as easily say British driver kills two in scooter accident. Its a road accident and can happen to anyone - probably there should be more reports of Taxi accidents as they do tend to do far more miles than normal drivers but the amount of reports for this is quite small in comparison.

racoonchic

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 54 in Discussion

we wont be allowed to pick our family up next.. this happened to me last august comin back from larnaca. i was pulled to the office on the border and was accused of carrying people illegally.. i said it was my family and they said i was tellin lies and my car was a taxi. i had taken possesion of the car only a week b4. when i showed the passports had all the same surnames they still accused me and said they would confiscate my car next time.. f...ing idiots.

westender

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 54 in Discussion

We had a 'legal' taxi driver pick us up from Larnaca, he drove over the speed limit, took his hand off the steering wheel while talking on the phone, never been so scared in my lie!

waddo

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 54 in Discussion

That's just the border guards/customs people Ricky, they always give the "confiscate your car" warning when they know they are in the wrong. Had the same thing last year - did not threaten to confiscate my car but I guess it was too old and tatty for them anyway but did warn me not to pick up my relatives and to use a taxi instead. Asked if that meant my wife as well and got the royal wave off and the sudden "No Speaka Da English" statement. The law is the same here as UK anyway regarding paying passengers and so long as you don't charge them for the trip you can carry whomever you wish on a "One Off" basis - make a business out of it and you deserve all you get - I know you would not as it would take up to much time away from the golf course - lol.

negativenick

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 54 in Discussion

mess 1 - you have no insurance when you go to the south....

The only insurance a TRNC registered vehicle can buy is "private car insurance" at the border - this is third party cover, for private use (excluding hire and reward)..........

So, your taxi isn't insured correctly in the south - and therefore illegal............

Better to bung a mate a few quid - at least you'll be paying less.........

waddo

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 54 in Discussion

Whilst pointing out the obvious - Msg 1 actually has no mention of the South at all!!! Can only presume that the cost of a legal TRNC taxi from Girne to Larnaca is only actually from Girne to a crossing point - after which you have become firm friends of the driver and he is happy to give a "free" lift - covered by insurance of course as he is not for hire or reward once in the South, that is illegal - to Larnaca and back to the crossing point. At which time you are once again in a fully insured and licensed taxi in the TRNC.

Not the same when a "mate" uses his car for hire and reward here or in TRNC or anywhere else in the world for that matter. I think Msg 1 is pointing out runs back and forth to Ercan more than anything else.

TaxiExpress

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 54 in Discussion

Thank you for your comments and to those of you out there who are backing us legal taxi drivers.

If you require our professional & legal services you can contact us at any time on below given details:

Taxi Express

Tel:0548 838 8840

email: taxiexpress.trnc@gmail.com

breezyboy

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 54 in Discussion

so instead of answering any queeries or criticism he starts another post.

Just advertising without any real interest in members problems.

tbear

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 54 in Discussion

if richard,s driving is as bad as his golf ,god help us all!

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 54 in Discussion

dont suppose it matters about the greek taxis loosing out from larnaca to border

could say turk taxis are taking the living from greek cypriots

my mother is to scared to go in a turkish taxi and until they all take a test she wont go

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 54 in Discussion

Two creatures bumped into each other in the middle of the road:

'Sorry, mate!' said one, 'I'm a bit blind'.

'So am I', said the other, 'anyway, what are you?'

'I dunno what I am - what are YOU?'

'Dunno', said the other; 'but we could feel each other and guess.'

'You start, then!'

'OK....well, you're small with a soft nose, furry body, little whiskers and big floppy ears - I know what you are, you're a 'bunny rabbit!'

'Gee, thanks, Mister - I always wanted to know what I am!'

'Your turn now, 'bunny rabbit'!'

'OK....well, you're big and fat and sweaty and smelly and you've got a big, hairy pot-belly and you're hairy all over. You've got a bristly chin and face and a big, bald head and a big nose - I know what you are - you're a Cypriot taxi driver!'

keithr

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 18:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 54 in Discussion

How many "taksi" drivers have given you a tax receipt ????

I have asked for them and they get very angry...

Nuff said ??

Sayit

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 54 in Discussion

1-Some of the (Suppose to be) legal taxi drivers are always on their mobiles, smoking and showing no respect to customer and drive like a lunatics.

2-At least the (illegal) pirate drivers cost you less, drive carefully, show you respect and don't rip you off.

I allways use the second option and very happy with it and all my friends use as well.

Long live Pirates........

elkiton

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 54 in Discussion

OK Devil's advocate. In 3 years of living in Cyprus have not actually seen a legal taxi involved in a smash.

I have seen plenty of TC driven hire cars in one, and several local plated vehicles who took one chance too many...and whilst I don't like to way the taxi's drive or seem to own the road, they (to me) don't seem to be the cause of the accidents, more like the bumbling swallows with one eye on the coastline, or the locals with two mobile phones on the go !

TonyE.

0maintenance

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 54 in Discussion

Turkish taksi drivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-m-vxuV14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf0JlW-eB_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd8tynNyulQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aikWV42Tg2g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQ2wlqm_QQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfR_Zgc7ofY

TaxiExpress

Message Posted:
13/06/2011 00:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 54 in Discussion

Most of you out there do not even know the difference between Turkish Cypriots and Main Land Turks.

Please don,t put us all in the same category. For example message no. 43 has added some links that have nothing to do with Cyprus and some of them are not even main land Turks.

İts easy to take the piss out of people from where you are sitting, Those of you that do not like this Country or its People what the hell are you still here for! We are not racist and respect everyone who gives us and our country respect back, so my message is only to those idiots who thinks they know it all.

TaxiExpress

Message Posted:
13/06/2011 00:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 54 in Discussion

Thank you for your comments and to those of you out there who are backing us legal taxi drivers.

If you require our professional & legal services you can contact us at any time on below given details:

Taxi Express

Tel:0548 838 8840

email: taxiexpress.trnc@gmail.com

0maintenance

Message Posted:
13/06/2011 00:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 54 in Discussion

message 44

message 43 says turkish taksi drivers,and when you look at the threads it says turkish taksi drivers,theres nothing racist or worng with the posts,i never montioned turkish cypriot taksi drivers,but if you wish i can in another post??

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
13/06/2011 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 54 in Discussion

elkinton see saturdays cyprus today where a young boy was dragged down the road by a taxi and is critical

breezyboy

Message Posted:
13/06/2011 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 54 in Discussion

OK Taxiexpress you haven't seen fit to say anything about my 2 posts.

I am not racist and I love TRNC or I wouldnt have invested so much money in it and accepted that the rip off culture in property is the downside of being here.

I couldn't care less what nationality a driver is as long as he drives safely and doesn't rip me off. How can my local TC taxi charge one price and the Mainland Turk at Ercan charge double for the same trip? Yes I can usually tell the difference.

The last post didn't do your advertising campaign much good.

halffull

Message Posted:
13/06/2011 12:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 54 in Discussion

I always use the bus!!!

So much cheaper, taxi Girne to home 15TL , aircon bus 2.5TL (just gone up from 2TL) meet lots of nice friendly people too!

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
13/06/2011 18:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 54 in Discussion

dolmush are great very friendly bit warm some times but what the heck

why dont the taxis have a go at the casinos and car hire companies instead of a few expats and illegals

i

dearie

Message Posted:
13/06/2011 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 54 in Discussion

No applaud yet but I think I have a brilliant plan - the Government should make it compulsory for ALL drivers at their OWN cost to attend an ADVANCED DRİVİNG COURSE.

Money generated for the Republic and SAFER roads Now what could be better!!!!

davedee

Message Posted:
13/06/2011 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 54 in Discussion

Bet you are pleased you started this thread TaxiExpress !

GinaC

Message Posted:
14/06/2011 00:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 54 in Discussion

Girder jack , settled here and the rest of your aliases, come on mods wake up.in

B

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
14/06/2011 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 54 in Discussion

TaxiExpress/Mag 44: 'We are not racist and respect everyone who gives us and our country respect back...'

You'd better go and tell your government, council of ministers, police, estate agents, advocates, rogue builders/developers, that!

While you're at it - don't forget to pass your comment(s) on to Akfinans Bank, as well - maybe they'll have a last minute 'fit of conscience' and admit their [alleged] brutal scam on honest, aged pensioners!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.