North Cyprus Tourist Board - Driving through Northern Cyprus to the south
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Driving through Northern Cyprus to the south

Driving through Northern Cyprus to the south

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Worldlywander

Message Posted:
22/06/2011 20:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

I'm sure I must have this wrong because it all seems too simple and it's logical. We drive into Turkey from Bulgaria on a green card and pay fro Turkish stamps, a total last time we were there, of £30. Drive down to Mersin pay €313 for an open return. Pay the temporary import cost - does anyone know how much that costs? Drive through to Southern Cyprus which being EU means we can keep it there for one year on British plates. Before the year is up reverse the journey.

right all you experts; where are the flaws?

baxi7

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

yes , all you have to do is convince the g/c custom,s / police of the same . one island two seperate states ,

Sugarpuffbear

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Won't the same comment come from the Greek Cypriot side that you have entered through an illegal port of entry and therefore cannot be allowed in to ROC .

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Well, I hope you have more luck than me!?!?

Maybe, just maybe if on entry at Kyrenia you get the passport control to put the red entry stamp on a blank piece of paper. When asked by Greek customs what is the purpose of your visit you don't say to live, you may just be lucky, that is if he’s in a good mood because he got a bit of the other last night off his mistress; but don't hold your breath!

I arrived here on July the 1st and tried three crossing points and at the fourth nearly got my vehicle impounded. I am now going through the process of settling in the North. Please take my advice make your home in the North! Far cheaper! Contrary to being brain-washed into believing all Turks are bad, that is NOT the case! Quite the opposite. In the three weeks I have spent here, I have made more friends than I could wish for and would not be in the position I'm in now. Having decided the Greek side stinks, or should I the authorities stink i'm making plans to stay where I'm appreciated.

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 14:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

P.S. Ran out of letters available!

I should have added: Although you and your vehicle enter through an 'illegal port' you are free to walk over the border to the South as long as you leave your vehicle and belongings in the North!!!!! I offered to pay the import duty. Don't waste your breath! I repeat, settle in the North. Once you get through all the boring paperwork etc. etc. you will love it!

I could say an awful lot more but due to possible legal action my lips are sealed (And if you believe that you obviously don't know me! ;-)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 14:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Worldlywander

As you can see some other members seem to have an issue with this.. frankly, I STILL don't see what the issue is within the EU framework of freedom of movement being enshired as an absolute right - and that must include a EU insured and registered car - owned driven by an EU citizen..

BTW it is SIX months before you'd need to re-register the vehicle

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

msg 6

Please forgive me but it's more than an issue! It is a violation of human rights etc. etc. all embedded in EU law/legislation.

'BTW it is SIX months before you'd need to re-register the vehicle'

Are we talking North or south?

blade

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 15:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks M. i was just about to point the six months thing out.

Eric, i have also contacted the EU as i believe they have no right to deny a dog with a EU pet passport throught the green line into the south with its EU citizen owner. Still waiting........................

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

'i believe they have no right to deny a dog with a EU pet passport throught the green line into the south with its EU citizen owner. Still waiting'

I also believe your right but the problem is THEY don't believe it's right!

My complaint to EU Obmudsman went in 9th September and recieved confirmation from Strasbourg yesterday which stated I will be informed of the Ombudsmans desicion within one month. And if in my favour will be taken to the next stage which will be an official inquiry. When that would be is another matter!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.