North Cyprus Tourist Board - Multimax - one month on
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Multimax - one month on

Multimax - one month on

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 03:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 85 in Discussion

A month ago in this thread

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/66209.asp

I reported that I was going to try the 10mbs service from Multimax and after that decide whether to sign up for a year or not and to report back my decision.

Well its one month on (yesterday) and based on the first month usage I did indeed decide to go for a year up front on the 10mbs service.

Overall I have to say I have been very impressed with the service. I could show selective speedtest (to UK) results as high as 17mbps and screenshots of downloads peaking to rates as high as 25mbs but such would not be an accurate picture but a distorted one. I do not like such 'snapshots' tests because they are misleading. I have done much testing of sustained downloading of large files , multi giga byte files upto 9 and 10 GB, over a range of times, late at night and during the day and I would estimate an AVERAGE (taking the good and the 'bad' results) of sustained downloading in the region of 8Mb/s

[cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 03:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 85 in Discussion

I have been downloading principlay from a pay for newsgroup service and to achieve the speeds I have I have been using dedicated download managers, that can download multiple parts of a file simultaneous, in order to get the best potential out of the connection. I have tried a range of download managers , getright,Internet Download Manager, Free Download Manager and ReGet Delux and have had similar result from all of them > I have also downloaded from sources like BBC Iplayer and have had downloads of files in the 600MB region with an AVERAGE speed of 9mbs. All in all I am extremely happy with the speeds I have been getting over this first month given the price of the service.

I have also been testing streaming TV content using the connection and (initaly) my paid for VPN service. I have been able to stream content fine from BBC Iplayer (standard defintition AND high def as well), channel 4, ITV, sky, channel 5.

[cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 03:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 85 in Discussion

All that alone would have made me happy to pay for a year service upfront but in the last fews days MM have added a feature to the connection that for me is even more reason to like the service.

That is the ability to watch streaming (and download) content from sites like BBC Iplayer WITHOUT having to use any VPN service on my PC at all. What MM are doing is for certain specific sites, they are routing traffic in such a way that it appears to be from the UK, from thier side of the network. What this means is that I (and any other MM customer) can simply go to the BBC Iplayer site and watch it without having to do anything on their PC, no VPN set up at all needed. It works just as it would if you were actualy in the UK. This is being done for specific sites and currently is working for BBC Iplayer, Channel 4oD and ITV player.

What for me is so cool about this is I can finally plug my 'internet TV' straight into the MM netwrok, without any need for a computer at all [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 03:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 85 in Discussion

and watch BBC Iplayer content using the TV's own Iplayer aplication, standard def and High def, without any need to use my computer at all. In fact I found this so cool I made a little vide of it working and have uploaded it to youtube here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mdEqZgJPhc

So overall I am very happy with the connection in terms of capacity, price, performance and features. Obviously I can not comment on how it will perfomr long terms. This is after one month only and things may change but its been good enough for me personaly to commit to a year up front.

In summary then I would say Multimax has a compelling offering right now compared to other wifi based services and is worth serious consideration for any TRNC internet users. For most normal users 10mbs service is probably more than they need or want but for me so far it has been superb. Others may find the 4mbs more than meet their needs.

I like it.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 07:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 85 in Discussion

Thanks for that Erol,

We are just having ours installed today for a one month trial (4mb) and hope to be as happy as you are!

Sue

keithr

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 07:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 85 in Discussion

It sounds very promising indeed Erolz,but my only doubt is that it could be another Turkcell 3G ???

In other words,fast to begin with,then progressively throttled back and capped until it has no major benefit ???

RoxyBob

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 07:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 85 in Discussion

Sounds like a good service, however I have just renewed my Nethouse 2mbit connection for 12 months.

They gave me 3 months free so I got 15 months for 780tl which includes KDV. (65tl per month - 52tl per month with the 3 months free)

The 4mbit package is 1020tl which is also for 15 months. (85tl per month - 68tl per month with 3 months free)

The actual service is very good, download speeds usually exceed 2mbits and the streaming for TV is fine.

Bob

compass

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 11:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 85 in Discussion

Erolz, Thanks for that, have just watched your Utube film, it was very informative.

Is your TV with internet functionality a "high end" product or is it more available these days?

Compass

beachsidebum

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 85 in Discussion

Thanks Erolz,, great information, people can now make their own decisions.

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 85 in Discussion

keithr managing and scaling a network as load increases is a challenge for every ISP right back to the days of dial up and will indeed be a challenge for MM and only time will tell how well they manage it. However comparission with 3g are a bit misleading imo. The nature of 3g networks is actualy very different to a real data only network, their 'core' being mobility (for voice primarily) and not just shifting of data from one point to another. Data was always an 'add on'.

RoxyBob I have never used Nethouse networks personaly but they seem to get good 'reviews' in most of the post I have seen. Ultimately it is good for all net users here if their is vibrant competition, customers can only benefit whoever they are with. For me, and I am not a typical user, I had been crying out for higher bandwidth service levels in my price range. I was very happy with my previous suplier, but I did want more bandwitdh and that is what convinced me to try changing.

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 85 in Discussion

Compass - yes 'internet' functionality in TVs does tend to be higher end models, though it is increasingly pushing it ways into mid range models. It is also available in 'boxes' that attached to TV's, be they dedicated to that function or be it an added feature to a DVD player or Blueray player. Different makers do seem to be pushing it to differing degrees as well as well as via different 'standards'.

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 85 in Discussion

Do all modern TV's have this internet capacity ? Thanks for the informative post !

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 12:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 85 in Discussion

EamonnMc - no they do not all have this feature but many do and it would seem increasingly so, as well as this functionality being put into devices like DVD players.

DesiH

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 85 in Discussion

Very helpful post thank you Erol.

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 85 in Discussion

The BBC provides a list of different 'devices' you can get Iplayer on here

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/where_to_get_iplayer

and within that a section on TV's which you can see here

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/where_to_get_iplayer/television/

I should also point out that getting the Iplayer application onto my TV in first place almost certainly still needs the computer. When plugged into a normal internet connection that shows its location as being outside the UK, the BBC iplayer app does not show up on the TV on the list of available apps you can install. To get it to show up I had to connect the TV through the computer to make it look as if it was in the UK, then I could install the app. Once installed and plugged into the MM connection the apps then just works.

Must try iplayer content on my partners android phone next, connected to the wifi router in my house in turn connected to the MM connection

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 85 in Discussion

I should also point out that for non Iplayer content, like from 4oD and ITV player and Sky I still have to use the TV just as a 'dumb screen' connected to the computer with a video cable. Iplayer is pushing the boundries. I am not aware of similar apps for my internet TV that supports these other net based sources, yet. However technicaly there is nothing to stop such appearing in the future and being made availble as a new 'app' on my TV. When I first bought the TV the BBC app did not exist, though Samsung had said it was under development.

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 85 in Discussion

Erol,

Many thanks !

juliamoons

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 85 in Discussion

Erol I am shocked and delighted. Is this a recent change by MM? As I can now get BBC Iplayer and 4od to work without loading up my vpn. My laptop is connected to our tv using HDMI cable. I have a remote keyboard and mouse and find this whole way of using my pc far more comfortable than using one of the bedrooms as a study.

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 13:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 85 in Discussion

Yes juliamoons, this is somthing MM have only recently implemented in last few days or so, but something they have had planned for quite some time I think. I suspect this will be a useful feature for many users that want to watch UK based TV content. Its not just that it is 'included' in the price as standard on their connections but more that it just requires no 'messing about' to get it to work. I have little doubt that for some the 'faffing' around of having to setup and configure some kind of VPN service and then run it each time is a real deterrant. Doing it this way means the user does not have to do anything at all. Just open their browser goto the relevant site and they are away.

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 85 in Discussion

Erol, I know that the last thing that you would want to do is to mislead people so, perhaps you should point out that, with this system, all the traffic to and from the BBC is going through a single or, maybe (just) several UK IP addresses.

If this service attracted the attention of someone who traces these IP addresses and then writes to the BBC (someone like mmmmmm for example) and complains that people are receiving BBC here (outside of the permitted broadcasting area) the BBC iPlayer TV service could be blocked/disconnected at any time.

You should be honest with people and explain this possibility to potential customers at the outset.

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 85 in Discussion

Washerman it is true that the BBC may try to block this from working from their end, just as they may and I think in the past have, blocked access from VPN servers and as they release and ramp up their pay international service they may step up such efforts, we just do not know yet. In effect if this were to happen it becomes a cat and mouse game. They block certain IP ranges, the 'provider' changes their IP range used and so on.

In terms of potential risk to the customer and potential loss it is pretty minimal, in that even if the BBC did find a way of blocking this in a way MM could not in turn bypass, you still have your Internet connection, you can still use a VPN service on your own machine. It is not like you would loose your whole service entirely if this were to happen like with say a grey Sat TV service that got disconnected for 'out of region' use. Certainly if someone were to go and and buy an expensive new 'internet enabled' TV [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 85 in Discussion

on the basis of using it as I show in the youtube clip, on the assumption that they could use i[player on the TV without the need for a computer and that this will always work forever onwards, then in a worst case senario their loss could be material and substantial, and you are right that should be made clear for those that might be doing this. For an internet user who like me who already has such a TV, the ability to use it directly without the computer for Iplayer viewing is great and nice, but if it stops working I have not lost anything. Same for accessing via the computer without using a VPN. Whilst it works it is great and nice, but if it does stop working, then I am no worse of than I was before and can go back to how I was using it before.

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 85 in Discussion

BUT, some people may consider buying an internet ready TV at considerable cost and then, find out that the MM BBC TV service is blocked.

I doubt that someone as persistent as mmmmmm would stop at reporting them a single time, they would just continue to trace the UK IP address and report them repeatedly.

It's pretty simple for the BBC to block a single or, a range of UK IP addresses and with so many users going through one or, just a few UK IP addresses, the upload bandwidth in the UK would be a dead give-away.

IMHO, the direct access to BBC iPlayer through a limited number of UK IP addresses (for many customers) is not a selling point, it is a sure way to attract the attention of persistent nuisances like mmmmmm

All this being said, I am glad to see that you are now promoting a TV service that is not supposed to be received in the TRNC.

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 85 in Discussion

Washerman I said the same thing. Buying an internet ready TV specifically to use it without the need for a computer with the MM service would represent some risk and anyone doing that should be aware of that.

As to the actual technicalities of how the BBC might try and block such access and how a provider like MM might adapt to such a block, there is no point in arguing this with you. What can be said is that it is signficantly harder for the BBC to block such access and keep the block in place than it is for say OSN to disconnect a given subsriber if they discover usage outside the area they have rights for. It could also be pointed out that so far VPN services like the one I use and the one the TIC offers and others, that advertise the VPN service specifcally for use with iplayer out of region in generally have not been blocked by BBC and for years now. That does not eman it could not happen in the future of course. [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 85 in Discussion

As to you last line where you say "All this being said, I am glad to see that you are now promoting a TV service that is not supposed to be received in the TRNC." the reality is that I have never had issues with people using services outside their area. I do have issues with people having the right information on which to make their decisions when they involve an element of risk of loss for that person. I have used bbc iplayer out of region for years now, have openly said I am doing it and tried to help others where I can who wanted to also do it, so their is nothing new in this. Your suggestion that I have some how 'changed' my position or views is in my opinion fatuous. I could show the countless times in the past where I have said I have no issue with people choosing to use a 'grey' TV service in the TRNC, just that they have the best information with which to make an informed choice, but I doubt doing so would serve any purpose.

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 85 in Discussion

"I have never had issues with people using services outside their area"

OK, so you have no objection to our customers receiving OSN outside the area for which the TV company have paid for distribution rights.

"I do have issues with people having the right information on which to make their decisions "

I know that you and mmmmmm have 'continually' asserted that we are not being honest with our customers. Please can you point everyone to a single complaint from one of our customers ?

Also, you highlight the risk factor involved in purchasing genuine OSN equipment from the original manufacturer and subscribing to OSN - the cost is considerably less to subscribing to Sky TV and viewing in the TRNC - please can you point me to where you have warned members against this ?

juliamoons

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 85 in Discussion

Erol I have just watched your video and loved it. Now this is a question, when will they produce an internet tv with a wireless connection? As said previously, I have my flat screen tv on the wall and underneath this I have a unit with my laptop on and the router. In the bedroom I have a flat panel tv connected to a dvd player (which also has a usb connection). At the moment anything I want to watch in the bedroom involves copying films, tv items to my usb data key and then taking it to the bedroom and plugging that into the dvd player. Wouldn't it be fantastic if they built a wireless internet tv.

magicart

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 85 in Discussion

Erolz,

Your reply looks like a complete "U" TURN from your previous moral values and your campaign for honesty at the point of sale.

You can spin your response as much as you like- fact is you did not volunteer to warn potential customers of the associated risk and I'm sure you would never have mentioned these risks without Washermans concerns.

Goes around comes around!!

Art

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 85 in Discussion

All the questions that you ask are 'easily' answered by spending a few quid however, doing it for nowt, involves compromise - I think that you realise that !

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 85 in Discussion

I do not want to turn this into yet another 'Sat TV' pros and cons thread. The thread was my personal review of the MM 10mbs service having used it for a month.

Magicart msg28 you are entitled to uour opinions. The thread was about the MM connection as an internet connection and my personal experience of using it for a month. The 'transparent VPN' side of things is to me an added bonus but without it I still you find the service compelling vs the other offerings. The issue of potential risk to somone who went out and bought an expensive new TV just in order to use iplayer as I show in the utube video is a real one and I WELCOME washerman pointing it out. I would in fact hate to think somone did this based on my thread here and found some time down the road this no longer worked. What I do not do is deny the issue, seek to obfuscate it or seek to launch a personal camapign agsint the person you raised it in order to try and undermine their credibility. See the difference ?

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 85 in Discussion

juliamoons msg27. Many of these 'internet' TV's and devices like PS3 and DVD players do have an option to connect them wirelessly rather than with an ethernet cable. The samsung I use does as well. THere can be issues with the bandwidth of such connections undermining the streaming of video however, which do not come into play when you use a wired ethernet connection. A wifi connection from the TV to my network could well work fine and potentialy has more than enough bandwidth for BBC iplayer based HD streaming but it does depend on many variable factors, unlike wired. Exactly where you place the TV relative to the wifi box it connects ot the network via, what walls are between them and what the construction of those walls is, what other potentialy interfering devices you have in the home and even how you move the antenas on the wifi box the TV is connect to. With ethernet it will just work. With wireless you may have to play around and optimise it to work and it could be a moving targ

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 85 in Discussion

Washerman msg29

I am not sure I undertstand what you are saying here but if you mean 'spend a few quid' on a paid for VPN service and you have no risk but use the free MM no hassle option you do have risk, then that is simply not the case. In terms of risk, the risk of the BBC blocking a paid for VPN service because it is allowing people to view iplayer content outside the UK is exactly the same as the risk they will do so with the system MM are using. The risk it may stop working is the same. What is not the same is what you can do with each system. With the MM system you can watch on the PC without any requirment to configure or set anything up and also by extension use internet ready TV's and other devices connected to the network directly, something that you can not do with a standard paid for VPN service (at least in an easy manner). The risk element is the same with both. The functionality is not the same with both. There are also things you can not do with the MM [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 85 in Discussion

system that you can do with a VPN (paid for or free). However for as far as watching content like Iplayer, 4oD and ITV player then the MM system is simply easier and better and carries no more risk that it will be blocked by the BBC than a VPN service, paid for ot not.

proger1

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 85 in Discussion

This is not a personal attack against what you are trying to do when being helpful, as another member often states, I can see that in the future this will be a problem, without actually knowing but when somebody points this out to you, you deviate from the answer.

When this system becomes saturated with users and is another problem system, will you pay those people back who have taken your advice.

I am no expert on the wdsl systems but I can see flaws in this one and I can see gaps in the information you are giving out.

Legallity with using a VPN to gain country protected content outside of that country.

How many base stations does this company have and what is there maximum throughput.

Why, as I asked and you avoided answering on another thread, does the company sell 4 mb connections which according to 1 customer only giving 2 1/2 mb download speeds, and how will this be affected when more customers join them.

It would only be fair of you too answer these points when advising o

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 85 in Discussion

proger1 msg34

You say that in the futrue this will be a problem. That is not true. It may be a problem in the future. Just like there MAY be a problem with grey market TV services in the future. I have never said their WILL be a problem and do not see how you can sushc about this to be honest.

How well MM managed thier network as their userbase grows remains to be seen. I have said that up front and it is true of any and all ISPs.

I do not know how many base stations MM has, though the issue is not actualy one of how many base stations and throughput of a each. The troughput from home to a base station can be increased and managed in many ways, but the most basic is sectorisation of indvidual devices on each base satation. What I do know is different with MM vs other compnaies is how they move their data from thier bases stations to a central point where they connect with their Turk Telcom outbound link but that is tecnical details i do not think most are intertested in.[cont

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 16:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 85 in Discussion

You also ask 'will I refund customers of MM' if their network does become overloaded and they do not get the performance that I have report I have got here in my first months usage. The question is, in my humble opinion, ridculous, but if you want a honest answer then of course it is no I would not do so.

On the issue of why a given customer said they got a download of 'only' 2.5mbs when they had be 'sold' on of upto 4mbs, I can not say why this is the case because I do not know what they were downloading from where and by what means. I can tell you that if I download a large file from a source like say easynews using a single download stream, it too will cap out at around 2.5mbs and there are many technicaly reasons why this is the case. If however I used a download manager that allows muliple simultaneous streams I can easly get my full 10mbs and at times exceed this. As I already said on average over many downloads at many times [cont]

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 16:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 85 in Discussion

Here you have the usual clowns (Washerman, proger1 and magicart) trying to stir things up.

Why don't you idiots just give it a break for once in a while

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 85 in Discussion

from various sources over the month I would estimate an average sustained through put of around 8Mb/s.

You do have to know how to get the most from a given connection, whoever you get it from and this is increasingly true as the 'up to' connction speed increases. My brother for example, in the UK, is currently on a BT trial service of a fiber to the home product that offers a download rate of 100Mbs. He will not get a susstained 100mbs throughput sustained rate when downloading however, and changing how and where he downloads from cvan have a big influence what actual rate he gets in a given instance.

magicart

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 16:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 85 in Discussion

lovingcyprus,

Your post as usual is just laughable.

lol

Art.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 85 in Discussion

Magicart

As I have said before you are nothing but a trouble maker so just give it a break.

Why don't you have a go at contributing something constructive to this forum !!!!!!!!!!!!

magicart

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 17:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 85 in Discussion

Just check out my other postings concerning "charity events".

Thats why your comments just make me and anyone else who really know me LAUGH!

Will you be going to the charity event tonight at Stevies Bar-its in aid of "The Kemal Foudation for Children with Leukaemia"."Pearl" are the main entertainment as advertised on this forum.

My wife and I are helping to organise the event so we think we are being constructive.

Will buy you a beer if you can make it but be prepared to put your had in your pocket for the kids.

Art

Simhar

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 85 in Discussion

Thank you for the information Erolz, it looks very interesting and will be a consideration when my internet connection is ready for renewal.

On what has occurred on this thread, and many others, where people offering the story of their experience are attacked and vilified by the normal bunch of people, especially when the people being attacked have no commercial gain in giving the advice, i am sure, will lead to these people simply not bothering to put their experience on here. That would be a shame and for those of us who like to know what is available and how it works off putting in the extreme. Washerman, give it a rest, please. I don't use your system, I don't care if it is grey (or pink (joke)), I have no interest in hearing about it, the original posting made no mention of it, Erolz thanked you for pointing out something that maybe others had misunderstood (not to base buying a internet TV on MM current connection), leave it at that. Magicart Erolz has no commercial interest..

Simhar

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 85 in Discussion

cont....

Washerman does (if you referring to previous threads). please for the sake of us all can you guys just give it a rest. get on with your business and continue working in the successful way you have been without bitching every time a TV subject comes up.

Thanks

Frustrated in Lapta

islandgirl

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 85 in Discussion

Good advice Erolz and thanks, good info that there are non-computer things for the iplayer too.

I am with you there Simhar, reading through the thread I can't help thinking there is also no warning about buying an HD TV to view your OSN on.

please Washerman, Proger, Magicart, do give it a rest.

proger1

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 85 in Discussion

Let me try and define the complete irony of this situation, those members who have requested I give it a rest, I will comply with great joy, I very rarely post these days and only do so when I believe other members require genuine assistance and even then would prefer to do so via personal e-mail that on a public forum.

I am sorry to say, you are being led down the garden path by someone who uses sweet talk to sound like they are helping but are in fact thriving on the fact that you are listening to every word, the type of person who will carry a hidden voice recorder to try and trap someone but you will listen to their beautified words with great abandon.

Have you never heard the term, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is too good to be true.

How can a brand new company, undercut the existing companies who struggle to maintain what they have promised and do it at a reduced price.

As another member would say, the future will show the truth.

erolz

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 85 in Discussion

proger are you accusing me of being "the type of person who will carry a hidden voice recorder to try and trap someone" ?

As to asking 'how can MM provide more for less than the others' this is a valid question. Part of the answer if you really want such a reply to this, is by doing things differently from other suppliers. The essential difference, as Kemal himself has explained in a previous thread and I have mentioned here, is to do with how they move their data from their base base stations to a central point where it goes out via a Turk Telecom connection to the rest of the internet. They do this differently to the other existing suppliers. This coupled with being in a market that globaly is on a curve of providing more for less for as long as it has existed as a market and with doing the same things better than ohters could be an explaination. I am not saying there is no reason to be cautious, but it may well be that MM can proivde what they say they can. So far they are.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 85 in Discussion

Magicart

re your message 41 sorry I hadn't noticed your postings re charity events.

Had a prior arrangement for tonight.

babydoll

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 02:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 85 in Discussion

proger1 why don't you just faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade away

cyprustimes

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 08:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 85 in Discussion

well first month good now , not so coolo 32 download on test should be 1 meg ... so slow , oh keep ringing them up ,.. up grading they say to 2 meg this month so that will be like 1 meg then ,.. lololo love it here ,,,

Washerman

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 85 in Discussion

Erolz.....you decided to 'demonstrate' this internet system (with a video) using BBC iPlayer as an example, in fact, you laboured on it (the whole of your marketing pitch for this internet service was based on it)

Why are you surprised that members find it very strange that you have the ordacity to 'promote' a TV service

that shouldn't be being received in the TRNC when, in other threads, you denegrate another member for offering a similar service ?

In an earlier post in this thread, I asked you some specific questions that you have chosen to ignore, but I ask you again - in relation to your assertion that we do not give people the right information - Please can you point everyone to a single complaint from one of our customers ?

Proger1 has raised some very valid points which should raise concern amongst Cyprus44 members - at the moment, this system has very few customers and yet is still only managing to deliver a little over 50 percent of the advertised speed

cont./

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 85 in Discussion

Good morning folks,

could I just point out the bleeding obvious..

1/

BBC stuff is available CLEAR to AIR via satellite.. it is NOT scrambled ... You can get it for FREE in Cyprus using a sat dish.

The 'silly' posters trying to compare receiving BBC via VPN and 'grey market piracy of pay tv channels' need to remember that...the latter is FAR more likely to disappear - hurting those in the pocket who paid for something they can no longer get........

As ErolZ has pointed out the BEEB are rolling out a pay monthly service and MAY decide to more aggressively block the VPN route..

2/ If MM aren't charging for ability to view the BBC / C4 ( like Washerman does...clue to his appearance here ?! ) and ErolZ has made it CRYSTAL clear that it's continued successful operation should not be expected, WHAT is the 'big fuss'...?

ErolZ - as ever - is simply giving an honest appraisal about a subject he is interested in ....

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 09:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 85 in Discussion

(cont)

I think Proger1 *IS* trying to be constructive, and has got ErolZ 'wrong' .. you two should meet for a beer..

Washerman

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 85 in Discussion

this is hardly surprising especially, as 'you' and 'they', have chosen a marketing strategy heavily weighted towards using BBC iPlayer.

There are a number of problems with this strategy - BBC iPlayer is a bandwidth hungry application (about 800kbps per second)

A lot of people, especially in the winter months watch 4-6 hours of TV every evening (about 2 Gigabytes of data throughput) That is a lot of data !

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 85 in Discussion

re msg 53

Washerman - I'm assuming the 'you' is ME ...!

It is noted that you repeatedly 'claim' this makes the users 'sheep' and that these 'sheep' must feel 'obligated' in some way to 'support' me ... So I guess this is my 'marketing ploy' in offering the service for free.. )

Allow me to help you with more accurate figures:

If one watches an HD 1hour show via VPN it's over a gig..e.g 30 mins of E.Enders is 549Mb - [311 Mb in std definition]

4 hours of iplayer in std def would consume 2.4gigs and in HD 4.5 gigs.. So.. it's MORE data that you calculate..

Perhaps, you can only dream to be able to offer such a service.. I know I couldn't via Sat internet...

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 85 in Discussion

I have watched this 'spat' from afar for what seems like a lifetime.

I neither know Washerman or 6xM or Erolz and I use none of the services that have been mentioned - I use Nilesat FTA.

However, I feel that 6xM hits the nail on the head re this thread - the service provided by MM is an internet service, the access to BBC IPlayer is a freebie so if it is lost then the user loses nothing !!

Washerman appears to have many many happy customers - the simple question is....what will happen in the event of him losing the OSN service ?? If he wants to state categorically that his customers will be refunded for any services paid for but not used, this should answer 6xM's concern about OSN customers losing out and put this whole thing to bed. Just a thought !!!!

Regards

Paul

Simhar

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 85 in Discussion

and here it goes again.....

Happy Saturday morning boys!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 85 in Discussion

'Fiendish'

WHAT an excellent post / suggestion - happy to comply if Washerman will go on record.

Washerman

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 85 in Discussion

The big fuss is about dual standards.

I am going to spare members having to read another 'flogging-a-dead-horse' thread because I have a couple of articles to write about last night's charity gig - time better spent !

Simhar

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 85 in Discussion

Hang on Fiendish, that cannot happen. a proportion of the funds are paid to OSN as subscription, Isn't it fair enough that everyone knows that Washerman cannot GUARANTEE a service for 12 months. People living in the TRNC know that everything is a risk and choose to take that risk or not. The crux of the argument has always been Washermans reluctance to admit that this is a grey service and supply could be interrupted by OSN during the subscription year. Way back in a galaxy far away that was all they were arguing about, since then it has got messy and personal

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 85 in Discussion

Simhar..

re msg 59

THAT is exactly what Washerman has done, and his 'hasty' exit from this is noted.. it has taken months to get him to concede ANYTHING was 'risky' at all.. to read his constant 'adverts' on this forum he STILL attempts to pass off some sort of officialdom with wording like 'original equipment' ... SKY kit is original equipment, but the subscription that goes with it is the grey area !

What about a compromise ...if he promised to repay the proportion of the service paid for but not receivable.. and he posted THAT in all his 'ads', too?

That's fair, no ?

proger1

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 85 in Discussion

People probably are fed up hearing the arguements about the OSN/ADMC/Sky systems here and quite rightfully so, the point about this service I am attempting to make is that it is not as fast as it says on the tin (that you are being asked to pay for), if you are watching BBC through a VPN it is illegal and any other system that allows you to watch BBC content outside of the UK is breaking copyright laws.

erolz is (essentially) advertising this system but was adamant that other systems (grey market systems, not illegal, but in a grey area for the time being) might be taken away from the subscribers in the future, the difference that Multi M's is trying to emphasise is that if you lose the bbc systems it has cost you nothing so you lose nothing, this is accurate however what they are brushing over is as I said above, you are paying for more than you recieve and are breaking UK laws by watching TV outside.

The choice is yours but I think you should know all the information.

I am done.

Simhar

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 85 in Discussion

yeah but 6m you know that is not going to happen! and anyway it has gone past that stage it seems, either you or erolz posts anything and guarantee (no grey import uncertainty there!) they will attack. Bit of a shame and childish but that's what it is!!!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 85 in Discussion

Proger1

1/ Even Click the BBC tech prog ( available on BBC world) say the use of a VPN to get around geo-blocking is a legal grey area..

2/ You ( again ) forget that the programs are FREE to Air and can be watched via a sat dish in Cyprus

3/ Then there's the current Court case re the right of EU users to view EU content in an area in the EU... ( on which the Advocat General of the European Court of Justice has given her legal opinion ... it's OK )

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 85 in Discussion

(cont)

The case of OSN - being Arabic sourced - is quite a different kettle of fish - as ErolZ correctly points out .

Hope that's clear.

proger1

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 11:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 85 in Discussion

That is as clear as you and erolz want it to be Mark, this is what irritates me the most, you take what information you can find that is useful to you and ignore all the rest.

Let me just ask 1 simple question to the members, how many of you have purchased a TV licence for the year and have you registered your North Cyprus TV as one of the limited amounts of TV's you have on the said licence.

If you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV you must, by law, be covered by a TV Licence, no matter what device you're using. (copied from tv licencing)

I really don't care either way if the members are illegal, what I care about is the constant claims that what you and erolz are suggecting is fine whilst attempting to destroy somones business in North Cyprus because you pesonally disagree with it, and most of all claiming no reason but to help people you don't even know in a country you don't live in (at Mark, obviously)

Now I really am done.

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 85 in Discussion

Absolutely boring hogwash, worse than the Turquoise bay saga which like this is getting worse by the day

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 85 in Discussion

Proger1

perhaps this response will clear your misconceptions re myself.. ErolZ is a 'big boy'..

1/ Whilst the BBC can enforce the TV licence requirement in the UK ( and of course I pay it) they cannot enforce folk who get it for FREE as it is broadcast in clear outside the UK. What IS illegal is the rebroadcast of same.... Suggest you try and find the episode of Click where this is discussed.

2/ >>what I care about is the constant claims that what you and erolz are suggecting is fine whilst attempting to destroy somones business in North Cyprus because you pesonally disagree with it<<

)) Pointing out that someone is constantly being more that a little economical with the truth - someone who IS taking money ( much more than the official price ) for that service and making ridiculous claims is DEFENDING..

I've listened to the same nonsense from members who attacked me re Dopi.. I'm QUITE confident I know what I say is based on FACT..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 11:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 85 in Discussion

Anyway, Proger1

If you want to continue, pls start a new thread.. this one is about MM and I don't want it closed because of a side show..

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 12:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 85 in Discussion

Simhar

Re 59

My post was aimed at trying to find a compromise that would enable this spat to be 'put to bed' once and for all. I agree that if Washerman's customer's were aware of the risk BEFORE they bought a subscription then that is fine and dandy. However, from my recollections I am not sure if this was the case - hence the reason the whole issue came to the fore in the first place.

As I say, I don't know any of the protaganists and have no axe to grind with any of them.

Regards

Paul

erolz

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 12:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 85 in Discussion

proger1 msg61 says

"the point about this service I am attempting to make is that it is not as fast as it says on the tin"

And you base this on what ? Have you used the service ? Shall I post the screen shots showing me getting download rates FASTER than the 10mbs I have paid for ?

The reality is that the MM service, as far as my one months testing goes, would placed it in the top two best performing ISP's in the UK, in terms of how close actual speeds are to advertised speeds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10760069

Look at the graph for average download speeds for may 2010 in UK. My tersting of MM would place it 2nd best on that graph. Better than AOL, BT, O2, Orange, Plusnet, Sky and talk talk. Only Virgin media would be be better and then only by a small margin.

And as of course the price is irrelevant isnt it. That you may end up with more actual bandwidth for less money with MM means nothing apparently.

magicart

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 85 in Discussion

Its interesting to see that 6ms has started a post with "Could I just point the bleeding obvious".

Well it was bleeding obvious to everyone apart from him and Erolz that the "Cyprus Star"article gave both of them a "puplic spanking "for doing exactly what they are doing on this thread-attacking Arriva's business at every opportunity.6ms still has'nt worked out the subtlety of the article because he's too wrapped up with himself and his complusive obsession.

Its just the same old dribble from a vindictive person who gets his kicks out of the self glory which he thinks he has from writing this rubbish.

magicart

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 85 in Discussion

Lovingcyprus,

Thanks for the apology -much appreciated.

Art.

erolz

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 85 in Discussion

Magicart, talking for 'everyone' again I see. The Cyprus Star article gave me a 'public spanking' did it, without even mentioning my name or my forum name.

If any business has been unfairly attacked in this thread then it is Multimax. Claims from people who have not even used it that 'it does not do what it says on the tin' for one example. Or implications that the 'free' access it currently gives to BBC iplayer is more likely to be blocked and easier for the BBC to block at some stage in the future than the paid for services that the poster making these claims himself sells. This is not 'one off' either. MM service has been attacked by some here, largely unfairly, since it was first mentioned on this forum.

Now can we get back on topic please ?

islandgirl

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 85 in Discussion

I checked my speed within the island this morning and my speed to Adana. One was 8mb the othe 5.6mb so I have a 4 mb service, so I have to say it does not do what it says on the tin, it does better than it says on the tin.

magicart

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 85 in Discussion

Erolz..

The subtlety of the article must of gone over your head as well.

As for your other comments-You can't be surprised that some members are attacking your claims-you and 6ms have been doing likewise to Arriva for months and this forum has aloud you both to get away with it.

Goes around comes around-I'm afraid.

erolz

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 85 in Discussion

Magicart you think because I have pointed out facts about the nature of OSN service in the TRNC and the potential risks with it in the past, you think it is ok for indivduals to attack Multimax ?

You think that is 'karam' (what goes around comes around) ?

What have MM ever done to anyone to justify these attacks ?

Incredible !

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 85 in Discussion

re msg 75

>>Goes around comes around-I'm afraid.<<

MagicArt again proving he read the offending article ( which hadn't consulted ME before publication re it's accurateness) but not the responses - both in the 'paper' and on here ! ;)

Oft repeating a fib does NOT the truth make...

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 85 in Discussion

MagicArt, THIS thread is about MM.. Do *try* to keep your misinformed 'misinfo' on topic ;) ...

magicart

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 16:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 85 in Discussion

Erolz,

So you think its acceptable for you and 6ms to attack my postings when recommending "Arriva" but not yours.You even stopped short in calling me a liar on this forum using the words lets have "some honesty" your words not mine.I'm still waiting for a retraction or an apology.I don't think Washerman is attacking MM-he is just pointing out the potential risks-does this sound familiar?

"When you throw rocks at people expect them to throw back."

6ms-I think you have a memory problem -the article was written two weeks after the first article and a week following Erolz letter-the point being that the reporter had gathered enough information to justify your "public spanking".-please keep up with whats going on!!

erolz

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 85 in Discussion

Magicart I think it is acceptable to point out the truth.

The truth is there is a risk with using OSN here in the TRNC, that the entire service may get shut down.

The truth is there is a risk that the transparent VPN access currently availble on MM may get blocked by the BBC at some point in the future.

What is NOT true is that it is more likely that this access to BBC iplayer though MM will be blocked by the BBC than through any of the many many VPN services that people use and are advertsied for such use, including the one the Paul him sells. There is a risk then but the potential 'loss' is only to do with an extra free feature you do not get with any other provider currently anyway and the risk is no different than with any other VPN service. That is the truth. This is not what Paul's post suggest or I bleive are itended to suggest.

Nor is is true to say 'MM does not do what is says on the tin' in my view as proger1 has said here.

erolz

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 85 in Discussion

What is more if consistency matters to you, you could ask why Paul is so keen to make a big issue of the potential loss of a free additional service on MM internet, that no other provider currently offers anyway, yet on his own serivce that he SELLS there is no mention fo this risk at all, which in terms of the level of risk is exactly the same as the free MM feature.

http://www.ticvpn.com/

DesiH

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 85 in Discussion

Can anyone advise on their experience of using Multimax in the Esentepe area

magicart

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 85 in Discussion

Erolz,

I'm just an IT dinasaur so you have lost me with this technical stuff-I do however feel that any business should be able to advertise their company without being targetted(including MM) by people who have ulterior motives.

Customers should be aloud to make up their own minds and having spent a number of years working with some of the biggest UK retailers believe me when I say" the consumer know what they want and will not tolerate second hand service or companies which are less than honest"-these are quickly exposed.I think its about time this constant "bun fight" came to ahead but somehow I don't think it will ever be in 6ms interest to stop these attacks on Arriva.Sometime ago the owner of "ARRIVA" on this forum offered a formal appology to 6ms in the hope that matters could be resolved.The apology was immediatley rejected-this says a great deal about 6ms. and his ulterior motives-I think the reporter in the "Cyprus Star" also came to this conclusion.

keithr

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 85 in Discussion

Sorry Erolz,what I meant to try and portray is that most new things out here start off living up to their claims,then slowly go downhill....

Harold2555

Message Posted:
27/08/2011 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 85 of 85 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread went off topic.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.