North Cyprus Tourist Board - Driving licence - latest
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Driving licence - latest

Driving licence - latest

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

Treesy

Message Posted:
14/11/2008 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Went to lefkosa today to get my drivers card -

-UK licence - they want copy of BOTH sides of your actual plastic card -and original- not interested in paper bit

-Passport - 1 copy and original

-Work visa page or residency page - 1 copy and original

-2 photos

-You must complete a Turkish application form which asks your blood group and some medical type questions - no idea what they ask - hubby ticked em for me. So a Turkish speaking friend would be a great help.

-Money - cant have 1 year for first card - must be 2. Which is 150.20 YTL.

And they want correct money - cash - or small notes - no BIG money!

They go away for 10 - 20 mins (took hour for hubby) - look at documents then give you originals back and green slip which you take to downstairs next-door office a week later and InshAllah you will get your card.

Not too difficult but if we weren't going to Lefkosa this week and next for something else I would have probably gone to driving school in Girne and paid 50 Y

lulubell

Message Posted:
19/11/2008 14:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

hi treesy

just read your mesage re driving licence really helpful,im moving over next year and was wondering about driving licence i have uk one. But wanted to ask can you go to school in girne and take driving test for turkish licence? (i know it sounds daft but just thought rather than renew every 2 years,maybe this is a better option. Would appreciate any help or advice on this

thanks.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
19/11/2008 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Have they changed everything yet again?? My licence is for 10 years.

Treesy do you mean the minimum you could obtain was for 2 years? Not that this was what you could have.

As for message 2, even locals have to decide according to what their income is if they go for 1 year or mulitples of. Not like UK where you get it for life.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
19/11/2008 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Meant to add. Hope the bread is OK Treesy?????

David

Treesy

Message Posted:
19/11/2008 23:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

David, bread is lush....

sorry yes minimum was 2 years - they say your first one has to be minimum of 2 years then you can renew from 1 up to 10 years after that

lulubell - Just take 10 year license - no need to take their test - I i think u would still have to renew that license too

By the way if any one knows anyone who works in Driving License office - can you suggest they put English translation of medical questions on the wall or something as rest of form is ok for basic Turkish speakers but medical questions are hard Turkish.........

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
19/11/2008 23:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

There is an easier way, just go to the driving school on the approach road to the Girne market (first driving school on the left) and they will sort it all in a day if you are lucky (2 days max). Lets just say they have connections.

AJ

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
20/11/2008 09:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Treesy,

The game of form completing is all part of the fun and certainly helps in the process of learning to live here. When I did mine, I pleaded insanity and the young man behind the counter helped out. Same doing residency, I flutter my eye lashes and it is amazing what happens. Do not doubt you young ladies would not get thrown out!!!

Boss will be happy to here you are getting your own bread.

D

Treesy

Message Posted:
20/11/2008 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

AJ

i would had done - the extra 50 ytl would had been worth it - but as it happens i needed to go to lefkosa last week and will be going back tomorrow - so easier for me.....

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
20/11/2008 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Treesy

' they want copy of BOTH sides of your actual plastic card -and original- not interested in paper bit'

I did not have or even need to have the plastic card. All I had was my grotty falling to bits paper license. Driving School said don't worry about it and I ended up with a ten year license.

AJ

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
20/11/2008 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

I only have a falling to pieces scrap of paper licence. I refused to apply for a plastic one as I saw it as creeping state control and a step towards ID cards. I converted to TRNC licence, no problem.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
20/11/2008 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Theresa, what about the blood type. I have no idea what mine is, do you have to know it?. Even when I asked my doctor in England 3 years ago( having had various operations) what it was he had no record of it on his computer. I suppose the next question is, do I have any blood?

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
20/11/2008 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Vaughan,

Had to get mine changed to plastic when changed address prior to leaving England. You think that like here the bit of plastic is it!!!!!

No, the stupid part of the plastic one is you must present the paper part as well as the plastic when requested so legally you should carry them both together. This is also the case if you rent a car here you should present both parts and if you got to South then again both parts are required if stopped by police or at least that is the correct legal requirment

Treesy

Message Posted:
20/11/2008 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

AJ

It was what they wanted - both sides of plastic card - who am i to question why.... maybe because i actually had the card - maybe if i hadnt had it then they wouldnt have wanted both sides i suppose......

Stella - suppose blood group is useful if they find u on the side of the road.... yes they need it - sure one of the many labs in town could tell you - although would probably get a quote from a couple first to find the best price....

Treesy

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Good news - collected my drivers card today - hooray

and even better hubby got his visa to come to uk over xmas week to visit my family

and got my medical insurance card renewed for 6 months

and found Marvel in Ileli market so can make bread again

So excellent day all round!!!!!

Happy happy joy joy

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

I know we are on a drivers licence thread, but what is the medical insurance card that you have. Is it Turkish or an English one that can be used here?

Treesy

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 16:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Stella

its not insuranceas such- sorry - it is a pink card that goes with my work visa - it allows me to get free government hospital and dental treatment.

I was rushed into Girne hospital earlier this year - and most people would probably NOT want to stay there -I had no choice as private op was beyond our means - but they did a good job and my friend stayed with me to help me.

And thanks to pink card i didn't have to pay - I'm off to the government dentist in lapta next week for a filing hopefully - will see how that goes!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.