North Cyprus Tourist Board - UK Driving Licences, Expiry Date ?????
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > UK Driving Licences, Expiry Date ?????

UK Driving Licences, Expiry Date ?????

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

mikey53

Message Posted:
28/09/2011 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 32 in Discussion

A couple of months ago a feature on breakfast time TV came on to do with The Expiry Date on UK Driving Licences and I for one learnt from it !! Its to do with The Dates on the Licences, I always was under the impression that my licence would expire on the rear of the licence No 14 section, however this is incorrect as it is not the rear date, it is the front of the licence 4b ** ** ** As the fine could be as much as £1000 as expressed by a studio guest who was summoned to court to explain her reason for driving with an out of date driving Licence !!!! ***** If this has been aired previously I was unaware of it, Just to get that in before all the Victor Meldrews come crawling out of their castles to put me right !!!! " I don't beleive it, some stupid half wit has gone and repeated something from months ago" !!!

proger1

Message Posted:
28/09/2011 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 32 in Discussion

Great post mikey but it will still get the victor

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
28/09/2011 20:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 32 in Discussion

This was actually brought to light when the new licences were introduced but the DVLA said they would write and tell you to renew. Since then, 12 years ago, because of cut backs the renewal notices have disappeared and its been the responsibility of the driver to ensure they replace it after their 10 years are up. I also believe its a cynical way to get several hundred thousand pounds a year out of drivers who forget and thus making the DVLA cost negative on the british tax payer.

newscoop

Message Posted:
28/09/2011 21:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 32 in Discussion

Mikey;

it's quite simple, if you have a photo license as we all should have by now

it has to be renewed every ten years.

Forget the rubbish about '14 on the back' or whatever.

Victor.

mikey53

Message Posted:
29/09/2011 09:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 32 in Discussion

What can I say ? Victor has to get a little ' Whatever ' in , Thread meant to informative for all those boys and girls who are slightly less "Admin Perfect" than newscoop and its not Rubbish for all those persons who are unaware for whatever the reason that their licence is about to or has expired !!! I wouldn't mind betting that you are probably a real life Harry Enfield character as in his sketches The loud mouth know all shouter in the "Pub" sketches in the 'Fastshow' and your jolly well proud of that trait within !!!! I don't wish this to turn into a "Saga" so I have said what I WISH TO SAY on the subject, others can judge on that, if you want to wear The' Victor Moniker' you then are plainly idiotic, and so intolerant in your views that you cannot just accept a true statment tip you feel the need to lambaste !! "Don't shoot me I'm only the messanger" as the saying goes, I'm sure you have lots of other things to pick holes in so don't delay, off you go you winge bucket !!!!

muttley

Message Posted:
29/09/2011 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 32 in Discussion

I still have a paper only full driving licence that I've held since 1988. I've never had a photo licence and the one I hold expires the day before my 70th birthday

Whistler

Message Posted:
29/09/2011 13:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 32 in Discussion

Mutley. Have you tried getting the paper from the police on the south side to enable you to insure your car in the south? This is when I found out that the date on my photocard licence and my actual driving licence were different. They would not issue the paper saying that my licence had expired. Let me know if you did get insurance and I will try again with just the green paper licence.

Kibris

Message Posted:
29/09/2011 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 32 in Discussion

Whistler I have only a tatty bit of paper fpr mine - never changed to the photo version - as far as I am aware its runs out on your 70th Birthday. I have used this to MOT my car on the south - didnt think it was needed for the insurance though??

Tonyta

Message Posted:
29/09/2011 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Mikey, the UK licence also has a hologram on the front left side bottom. When you turn the card you can see the expiry date.

waddo

Message Posted:
29/09/2011 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 32 in Discussion

Unless you are driving in the UK is there any great concern if your UK license has run out? The only country's that refuse to accept the TRNC license are the RoC and sometimes Bulgaria and Greece, every other real country will grant either 30 days or a full year like the UK has. Yes that even applies to car rental company's who will accept your TRNC driving license if you need to rent in the UK on a visit.

The big question is this: If you allow your UK license to run out of date, will you have to re-take the UK driving test to get a new one? Answers on the edge of a postage stamp please.

Must admit that as I live here and as the magic 70 age is only 5 years away with no intentions of ever going back to UK to live/visit I have not paid much attention to the problem. But it must be critical information if you are swallows or returning full time.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
29/09/2011 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 32 in Discussion

Can you renew the Uk licence on line?

Dreamydiver

Message Posted:
29/09/2011 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 32 in Discussion

DenzilI think so! The info on directgov.uk suggests you can pay £20 for them re use your signature and photo from your passport to renew your photos on your driving licence. They dont say (or I couldnt see) what happens if they can't use your photo with regards to issuing refunds.

newscoop

Message Posted:
29/09/2011 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 32 in Discussion

mikey;

feeling a bit lop sided from that chip on your shoulder?

It's naff all to do with being admin perfect, it's a consequence of changing your UK address and having by law to notify Swansea. Then reading what it says on the card.

harita

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 32 in Discussion

mikey53 .. Your message 1 is absolutely "spot on" ..

A 71 year old friend of mine had arranged to pick up a neighbour from Larnaca at the end of November ..

Going for the road tax at the start of November, was told he could only have a week as his licence was due to expire .. On turning 70 a licence has to be renewed every 3 years he thought he had 3 years ..

As previously stated a photo licence has to be renewed every 10 years .. When he was 70 there was approx 18 months left from the 10 years, hence his licence expired 18 months early..

He contacted DVLA thinking they had made a mistake as on the back of the licence it runs to the day before his 73rd birthday ..

No problem his licence was extended, photo taken from passport & new licence sent to his UK address .. He was here & someone collected from his home brought it to Cyprus a few days before he was due to pick up the neighbour ..

Cont ..

harita

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 19:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 32 in Discussion

As I see it .. The only reason to have a UK licence if you live here is to drive in ROC ..

You can drive & hire a car in the UK with your TRNC licence should you go back to visit ..

A TC can drive in the ROC with their TRNC licence ..

A mainland Turk is not allowed to cross the border ..

Is this not one for ECHR as you can't get a UK licence if you have no UK address ..

andrew4232

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 08:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 32 in Discussion

message #7

there is no problem on the greek side, i only have a paper driving licence and they always take mine for the paper and the insurance its never been a problem for the past few years

Deniz1

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 09:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 32 in Discussion

Oh thats good i only have a paper one too. Just in case i need to cross over in the car at least i know i can.

harita

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 32 in Discussion

The problems will surface if & when you reach the age of 70 ..

Irrespective of the licence you have, it will expire the day before you are 70 ..

Like I said previously you don't need the licence to drive in the UK .. You do to go "south"

britvic

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 32 in Discussion

Did you know that you can apply for your driving license on-line as long as your passport photo is current?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070?CID=Motoring&PLA=url_mon&CRE=renew_my_photo

scruff

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 32 in Discussion

msg 15

I have contacted the EU via 'solve it' & then escalated this problem upwards without sucess. The EU are taking the line that the TRNC isn't in the EU & the ROC is. They are therefore not interested in our problems with living in the TRNC & difficulties with driving in the South on a TRNC licence or with an out of date UK photocard licence , regardless of the fact that we are EU citizens.

I have a paper licence which is therefore still valid. My husband has a UK. photocard, which has now run out. We hired a car in the UK. this summer with no probs. whatsoever.

ctd.

scruff

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 32 in Discussion

ctd.

On the subject of renewing online.

You have to have a recently renewed passport of the biometric type.

You also have to use the Government gateway if you go online from abroad & most importantly you have to enter your NI number. My husband used this to apply for his State Pensions this year. I used the same Government gateway back in 2008. This clearly shows your overseas address.

If you were to try to use the online method with a UK. address to renew a DL, this may cause major problems. Will they be able to see that you have used the gateway previously for a State Pension. Remember there's the NI number issue.

Anyway, my husband renewed his passport here, in Lefkosa, before the biometric version came out, so I doubt if he could apply online.

ctd.

scruff

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 32 in Discussion

ctd.

Fortunately I still have my paper version DL & I'm so glad now that I never changed it for a photocard. We have 7 years until I'm 70 & I doubt if we will still be living here then.

This entire DL issue is a can of worms & was never a problem when the Green line first opened until last year. Reason........More EU bureaucracy.

And finally to the earlier poster who said you have to have a Photocard DL.

Wrong. It's not mandatory even in the UK. if you haven't moved since they were introduced or you haven't had points etc. I didn't bother because the whole becomes costly & too much bother.

Strictly speaking, It's also impossible to amend your address if you live abroad to alter to your overseas address, so you don't get a photocard that way. So look at all the problems a photocard licence has caused for us living in the TRNC. Even if you wish to apply for an ROC licence, you can't do that either, without an ROC address. Round in circles.

harita

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 32 in Discussion

When we left the UK I did mine as a change of my address using a friends' address ..

When I became 70, download the forms, filled them in, got someone to post to DVLA in the UK ..

Licence sent to his address, posted on to someone in the UK, & brought out to Cyprus .. Hey ho!

My problem will be in 18 months to renew again ..

He doesn't want me to use his address anymore ..

If it can't be done, no more trips "south" .. I can drive & hire cars in the UK with my TRNC licence ..

harita

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 32 in Discussion

Furthermore if your UK licence has expired ..

Original paper one will expire when you are 70 ..

Photo card will expire after 10 years ..

If you try to get the Greek side road tax with an expired licence .. No chance ..

waddo

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 32 in Discussion

Been fighting this problem for the last two months with EU Advice and the answer is simple: If you don't live in the EU then you can not have an EU driving license. You can go round and round the houses - as Scruff has already done - but you will end up with either no UK driving license or having to lie to get one.

If the only thing the lack of an EU driving license stops me doing is driving in the South well I am afraid that I will no longer drive there - of course the South will shed endless rivers of tears over that I am sure but then I live here in the North and am happy to be excluded from driving in the South due to political discrimination against myself as an EU citizen. I am currently attacking the problem in that direction by the way, as advised by the EU Advisory Service, who also said "You won't get anywhere as it will take around 20 years to come to the top of the pile" but go ahead and try.

So glad we are not in the EU.

scruff

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 32 in Discussion

Waddo, I had realised that you were fighting the same issue with the EU departments. It's a bit like pulling teeth isn't it. I just gave up in the end. Life's too short.

We haven't been South since May 2009 anyway. The main problem would be if we wanted to go over to pick up someone from Larnaca airport. I will use my UK paper DL to get the renewed GC log book & Insurance. I don't drive much anyway & not in the South at all, so we will take the risk about driving with the wrong name on the GC documents.

This is yet another issue that the BRS has done b*g*er all about. BHC at Lefkosa couldn't even be bothered to return my phone call & EU solveit suggested my husband tried for an ROC DL...... without an ROC address.lol

Brings a whole new meaning to the expression 'ever decreasing circles'.

Geoff1131

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 18:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 32 in Discussion

Can anyone tell me the answere to this??

If my uk licence runs out can i still renew my TRNC licence when that is due??

As far as i remember you have to produce your uk licence when you get your TRNC one, or is this just for the first one?

harita

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 32 in Discussion

I think it is just for the first one .. I have renewed mine & can't remember

harita

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 32 in Discussion

I think it is just for the first one all relevant details will be in the computer ..

I have have renewed mine & can't remember ..

harita

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 32 in Discussion

Sorry about the double post .. slow computer

waddo

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 32 in Discussion

You only need your UK driving license for the first issue of the TRNC license - it provides proof that you have passed a test, after that you can renew it whenever without further proof. I was told by the lady at the insurance office (South side) at Metahan that I could exchange my UK license for a RoC license and she phoned the license office while I was there to confirm this. Information I received from EU Advisory told me I could not do this but I have not tried to renew it this way as yet. Next year I will re-visit the issue and go find out for sure.

Scruff, I have given up with the EU service, they have more conflicting rules than the TRNC and nobody seems to know which one is current anyway. The battle continues but I know it is doomed to failure at the moment - if TRNC becomes part of the EU fully then all this will go away but for the moment the case with the EU continues.

waddo

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 32 in Discussion

The discrimination case - which has to be passed to the RoC for futher action (fat chance) - is based on this: A TC living in the North can hold an EU passport without living or having an address in the EU and can legally drive in the RoC on a TRNC issued driving license. Any non-TC holding an EU passport living in the TRNC must hold an EU driving license as the TRNC license is not recognized by the RoC! The EU have identified this action as direct discrimination, however, it is discrimination against the TC and not other EU Passport holders and is very, very politically sensitive.

So there is your answer, its about politics and not race, religion of people. Or to put it another way, we are the RoC and we will do whatever we want and there is nothing you can do about it!

Time will eventually run out for this sort of attitude I hope but till then - I can still walk across if I want or just ignore the land the other side of the line!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.