North Cyprus Tourist Board - Driving directions from Alsancak to Paphos?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Driving directions from Alsancak to Paphos?

Driving directions from Alsancak to Paphos?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

HotHippo

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Hello All,

I'd be very grateful for advice and suggestions on different driving routes from Alsancak to Paphos airport.

I'll be going down on Wednesday afternoon around 13:00 to collect my daughter, then taking her back down on Saturday afternoon for a 17:30 check-in.

In particular, I don't want to get caught in long queues at the border on Saturday.

Thanks,

Eddie

Panchocat

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 10:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Have you tried the crossing at Yesilirmak?

It takes longer but it is a beautiful drive and the crossing there has been quiet when we have used it.

Straight on past Vouni Palace gets you to it. Takes about 3 hours to paphos.

The quickest way we have found is to go through Metahan and follow the motorway to Limasol and carry on to Paphos.

Toonie

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Hi

The quickest and best way is straight down the motorway past Limmasol, normally a easy 2 hour trip from Kyrenia. However beware having done the trip twice in the last week unless you know Nicosia it is utter chaos. The motorway is closed for many miles as you get near to Nicosia, last night we were in slow traffic for well over a hour before the motorway finally closed. Eventually you get sent into Nicosia which is daunting in the dark once your off the main road signs are scarce and traffic lights everywhere slow you down.

I tried to find Meheten border point via the Troddos road and Strovolos road but in the end found the best way was to follow the Larnaka signs from the city centre to junction 3 which allows you to turn right along to the border.

The whole motorway is closed from junction 6 to junction 3 including all slip roads.

Best of luck.

Panchocat

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Picked friends up from Larnaca yesterday.

The motorway was closed at the "Balls" roundabout but the diversion past the hospital roundabout was not too bad in the daytime, I even discovered another branch of M&S that I didn't know about!

However the traffic on the carriageway returning to Nicosia was heavy and stationary. We made the decision there and then that the return trip would be over the Pyla/Pile crossing.

The trip home was easy and I think we will use the Pyla/Pile crossing again when we have to go to Larnaca.

It took us the same time as the motorway normally takes us

tomsteel

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Advise use of Beyermadu (it is not Pila/Pyla). From crossing point to airport is about 2 hours.

Panchocat

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Thank you Tomsteel but on the Greek side you won't find any directions for Beyermadu you can only follow the signs provided and they are for Pyla and as we were crossing that way for the first time that is exactly what we did

tomsteel

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Indeed, the directions are for Pergamos (GC term) - not Greek side its RoC. Leave the A3 at the sign for Xyltotimbou, Services, etc. At T junction, turn right proceed over A3 and proceed for approx 200m then turn right at Pergamos/Pyla sign just before SBA Police HQ. Follow road to next T junction turn right for Pergamos, crossing point approx 2 kms.

iceman

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

try google maps directions...you can switch into map screen on top right corner.

Covers road & street names in north Cyprus and can even give door to door directons like GPS units.

http://www.google.com.tr/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fhelp%2Fmaps%2Fdirections%2F&ei=Hv-JTqjgLujS0QWko4gH&usg=AFQjCNHcUvwUdZpDJgFqIrkFW_CKQ378NQ&sig2=Xtdgp6J6pkFH5NmnCBmQTA

HotHippo

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Hello Folks,

Thanks for all the replies, but I'm getting a little confused by the latest references to crossing-points which seem to be more appropriate for Larnaca than Paphos.

If the motorway south of Nicosia is in chaos just now, would it be better for me to head west from Alsancak, down towards Guzelyurt, then on to the crossing at Yesilirmak, as suggested by pancocat, in message 2?

I've only been over the border once before, and that was for a very short shopping trip, using the Metehan crossing.

Any ideas on where I might be able to find a decent road map?

HotHippo

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Hello Iceman,

Thanks very much for the tip!

It's all making sense now.

Cheers,

Eddie

Panchocat

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Good luck Hot Hippo and I hope your daughter has a great time with you here in the TRNC

HotHippo

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Thanks Panchocat,

It will be a short visit, but hopefully very sweet.

Cheers,

Eddie

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.