North Cyprus Tourist Board - esentepe caves
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > esentepe caves

esentepe caves

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Esentepe Village in North Cyprus

» Korineum Golf Course, Esentepe, North Cyprus

racoonchic

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

heard there were caves somewhere in esentepe can anyone advise on the location

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Have been loking for these for some time, myself, without any luck. There's virtually no information about them on the web, but I did find the info below, if these are what you are thinking about.

Ian

MAKARIA (TOMB HOUSES)

At the east side of Esentepe, the Makaria tomb houses can be found on both sides of the coastal road. In the 10th Century during the Byzantium period, the reason why they carved these rocks was to hide themselves from the Arab pirates. Just like the other historical remains, these tomb houses are left neglected and in time they have been filled with soil. Those that are clean from the inside have remained clean by chance. Even the majority of people living in Esentepe do not know anything about these houses.

truffles808

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

wow, I am also interested in these caves. I was not aware of them either probably because they are mentioned anyway even in the tourist books. If I find anything out, will keep you posted.

Skogsy

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Not exactly caves or houses but at least they were finished!!!!

It is an interesting site with an old Abbey in total ruin on the right going East.

The whole site is in a state of total neglect and I believe there has been "looting" of some of these historical sites.

May I suggest that if anybody does go wandering about up there they seek permission from whoever owns the land although acess is unrestricted, best to keep the peace.

Skogsy

Littlenige

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

ah the caves I've meen there with the anglo turkish society last year

http://www.whatson-northcyprus.com/whatson/events/ad%20hoc/anglo_turkish/calendar2008.htm

they are iskele way have a look on website and orgive them a call/ email

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

In the same area is "Hogarth's Tomb" (Not where he was burried, but a neolithic tomb he discovered). Again, not much information about it, and the only guide book that mentions it has it at Karsiyaka, about 20 miles away from its actual location.

Ian

Quote from his journal of his expedition round cyprus, dated 1888

But we must return to the neighbourhood of Davlos {now known as Kaplica. Ian} to describe a remarkable tomb, excavated out of the level rock, and, so far as I could discover, absolutely solitary. It is situated - Tomb near Phlamoudhi . in the middle of the forest, about half an hour due north of Phlamoudhi , and a couple of hundred yards only from the sea. Some small remains of an ancient village are to be seen something less than a mile away to the east, but their character is far too mean for this sumptuous tomb, and I am fain to connect it with Aphrodisium, distant as it is, and to suppose it to be a royal sepulchre. ............continued

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

The accident of losing my way in the forest brought me to the place, no villager at Davlos having appeared to be aware of its existence, and since no traveller but myself has seen it, it is worth a detailed description.

-

The tomb has a square court—12 ft. 6 in. each way—sunk to a depth of 6 ft. 6 in. into the rock, and open to the sky. On the western and northern sides of this run covered colonnades, 5 ft. 6½ in. in breadth, each supported by two fluted Doric columns, and a double column at the common corner, all cut out of the solid rock. The colonnade on the north is continued eastwards for 5 ft. 7 in. into the rock, and perhaps the recess so formed contained a body. Similarly the western colonnade is continued southwards. The columns have supported a small architrave and frieze, with triglyphs and plain metopes; but all are much mutilated..........continued

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

The eastern side of the court is a blank wall, but on the southern, three sepulchral niches, the longest measuring 5 ft. 6 in. x 3 ft. 2 in. x 3 ft. 6 in., penetrate into the rock. Crosses have been cut everywhere by pious Christian hands to conjure the evil spirits of the old sepulchre.

-

Entrance is gained by a δρόμος, nearly 30 ft. long, which slopes gradually downwards and tunnels under the western wall, thus opening into the west colonnade. The plan above will make these details more clear, and it will be seen that the whole tomb could contain five bodies at least. The δρόμος is much choked with earth, but there is not much accumulation in the tomb itself. I took photographs from above and inside the tomb itself, but, in common with all taken in July, they have failed. ..........continued

-

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Bit of a pain, not being able to edit your own posts. Message 6. Meant to add, Phlamoudi is now known as Mersinlik.

Ian

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Message 4

[quote]It is an interesting site with an old Abbey in total ruin on the right going East.[/quote]

Is this the place you mean?

http://whatson-northcyprus.com/interest/Kyrenia/melandryna.htm

Ian

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Don't know where the last section went, but here it is.

Similar tombs exist in Cyprus only in the Palaeocastro near New Paphos , one of which is described by General di Cesnola (p. 224) The two examples there are each larger than this near Phlamoudhi , but do not excel it in carefulness of construction; indeed, as Pococke would say, the latter is ‘a very particular piece of work,’ remarkable for its exact proportions and its remote and lonely situation. It is difficult to assign to it an exact date, but the use of the pure Doric order is very rare, if not unknown (to judge from existing remains) in Cyprus after Ptolemaic times. ......END

Skogsy

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Ianwfs

Yep. Thats the place.

Skogsy

truffles808

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Thanks for the info ianwfs

gillken

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Where is the hot air cave, I think I have got that right.

Graham

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Hot air cave

http://www.northcyprusonline.com/North-Cyprus-Online-Environment.php

Graham

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Quote from Northcyprusonline.com

There are several caves in Northern Cyprus that you are free to explore. One known as the Hot Cave, north of Agirdag village on the southern slopes of the Kyrenia mountains, is a partially collapsed natural formation. Warm air emanates from the cave, hence the name. Do not attempt to enter the cave. Another natural cave in the Kyrenia area is Güvercinlik cave near Alevkayasi. Access to the cave involves some fairly difficult climbing, therefore proceed with caution. There are three more caves in the Famagusta area. Probably the most beautiful is Incirli cave, a hundered metre long passage which contains an amazing collection of stalatites and stalagmites. The cave is open on Sundays (or by special arrangement from the village muhtar). There is a small entrance fee. Gastro cave between Kuruova and Kaleburnu villages is a man-made cave containing three rooms. ...........more

ianwfs

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Finally, there is the ominously named Execution Cave, near Kaleburnu. There is said to be a golden earthenware jar hidden somewhere in the cave.........End Quote

The only one of that lot that I've visited is Incirli, and you can get more information here. http://www.whatson-northcyprus.com/interest/iskele/incirli_cave.htm

ian

racoonchic

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

thanks guys nice response let the adventure begin begin begin!!!

racoonchic

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

i was actually looking for a new house for me and mrs racoonchic do any of these caves have water and electric cause if they do its more than we have

rwilson

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

There are quite a few of the tomb caves in Esentepe but they are hard to find.

As you travel east from girne, they are past the golf course about 2km on the left had side. You have to do lot of looking though, they are very well hidden.

The new North Cyprus landscape book has photos of them An early preview of the book is here http://www.northcyprusphotos.net/book.html

The book can be purchased in most hotels but if you can't find it ring Hus on 0533 838 9440

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

are you sure the hot cave is in dangerous condition?

i have heard about some interesting finds up there, from the locals.

Aussie

Message Posted:
23/11/2008 23:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

I'v been told there are caves near the coast and the Carrington development a bit past Turtle Bay towards Esentepe.

Have looked a couple of times and found a lot of ancient pottery shards but no caves so far. It is possible they are well concealled as in places there is a fair bit of undergrowth etc.

Will try again soon and post if I find anything.

Aussie

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.