North Cyprus Tourist Board - Driving from UK to TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Driving from UK to TRNC

Driving from UK to TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

mackem73

Message Posted:
21/10/2011 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Has anyone driven from UK to TRNC? If so what route was used, what ferry was used from Turkish Mainland, can ferries be pre booked? Are there any issues relating to insurance and presumably no problems with bringing in vehicle to TRNC as stay would be about a month?

martin-wbh

Message Posted:
21/10/2011 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Did it about 5 years ago then had a drive across Europe a couple of years later, it is quite easy this is the route we took and didn't rush averaged about 500 miles a day.

UK - Germany, Germany - Austria (world cup was on in Germany so traffic was slow), Austria - (thru Hungary) Serbia, Serbia - (thru Bulgaria) Turkey, 2 days crossing Turkey then the ferry which is a night ferry.

If you want more info email me.

martinashleyus@live.co.uk

doughboy

Message Posted:
21/10/2011 21:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

We drove from england to TRNC about 3 years ago taking about 4.1/2 days through France, Belgium,Germany,Austria,Croatia,Serbia,Bulgaria and Turkey. Ferry is from Tasucu near Silifke and you can buy tickets in the Village just ask anyone they will direct you to the right place just opposite the Marina.

You have to be at the ferry port by 9pm for the "midnight" ferry which leaves about 02:30am takes 6 hours.

Watch out for high insurance in Serbia and car Tax in Austria (Vignetta). Paperwork checks at both ports takes about 2 hours each makesure you have all original documents for the vehicle.

Any Questions just ask?

spider

Message Posted:
21/10/2011 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

I so wished we could have experienced driving over. Instead we arrived with 8 cases 1 cat and 1 dog paying £400 extra baggage ! Not bad a cost when you think it was to start a new way of life.

And I might add we have no regrets

Spider,X

pawson

Message Posted:
21/10/2011 22:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

We drove down at Christmas time some three years ago. We travelled by ferry from Hull to Amsterdam then through Holland and Germany to Switzerland. We got to Switzerland in one days driving, though finding a hotel in the snow was difficult.We then travelled to Italy and down passed Milan along the east coast to Bari. From Bari we took a ferry to Northern Greece and across Greece to Tukey stopping at Alexandropolis. The following day we crossed the Dardanelles to Canakale and then drove down the Turkish coast.This missed out all the problems which at the time people were having with insurance in Serbia.The worst stretch was the last two hundred miles to Tasucu. The weather was vile. It was like driving through the TUNDRA WITH SLEET, SNOW AND DRIVING RAIN. On arrival in Tasucu three days before Christmas the ferry was not running because of bad weather. We stopped in an apartment which would have been great in summer. Eventually arrived in Girne on Christmas day. A great route.

LesterPolfus

Message Posted:
22/10/2011 08:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Hi.

I drove over 4 months ago the route I took was France, Belgium, Germany, Austria,Hungary,Romania,Bulgaria,Turkey.

I entered France at midnight on a Sunday and arrived at Tasucu on the following Wednesday night, after an over night halt at Budapest.

EU insurance will cover you until you reach Turkey, where you will require a cover note for 30 days, not expensive but no good in Northern Cyprus, you will also need a visa for turkey, which is available at the Turkish customs,again not expensive, 10 euros if I remember correctly,

You will need to purchase road tax for Austria, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria ( a Vignette, French word I assume) usually these will be available for 3 days but Austria will issue one for 24hrs, once again inexpensive and bought from border crossings and even petrol stations.

The Ferry from Tasucu leaves around midnight, is located in the middle on the town on the quay side and costs about 70euros for car and one passenger, no need to prebook MORE

LesterPolfus

Message Posted:
22/10/2011 08:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Take a sleeping bag just in case as I slept on the Deck, OK in July but not now.

All of the customs personall were very helpful and taxi drivers in particular very usefull to confirm your route.

I would suggest you allow 4 days as the roads in Romania and Bulgaria leave a little to be desired.

If you need more help, email me a

kev.kaz.talboys@hotmail.co.uk

LesterPolfus

Message Posted:
22/10/2011 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

I forgot to add.

Upon entering TRNC with your car and UK log book, Insurance, MOT if applicable you will be issued with a 30 day TRNC log book and you will need to buy a 30 day insurance cover note both issued at the docks in Kyrenia, should you wish to stay longer, you will need to go to the customs office in Lefcosia to get an extension.

You will of course need a TRNC address......

Cheers........

gavangie

Message Posted:
22/10/2011 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Drove across April/May this year. Scotland to Newcastle, ferry to Amsterdam, through Netherlands, Germany, Italy, ferry to Greece, through Greece and Turkey. Suggest you book on the Filo ferry when crossing from Turkey to TRNC as this is used mainly by truckers and is quiet and peaceful once you board. We travelled with 2 dogs and a cat and took our time - 10 days and enjoyed the trip and stayed in some great places and met some really good people. You can pre-book all ferries except the Turkey/TRNC one and if travelling with animals the Superfast ferry from Italy to Greece has a limited number of pet cabins which allows your pets to join you for the night. Enjoy the trip if you decide to make it.

mackem73

Message Posted:
22/10/2011 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Hi Everyone,

Thankyou all for your replies. All very useful info. Forgot to ask I may be going with a van. I presume there are no issues with height restrictions on the Ferry to TRNC?

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
22/10/2011 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

You'll find a map ("Fastest" and "Most scenic" route) here:

▶ [ http://www.allcrusades.com/CD/index.html ].

| From UK to TRNC on your own four wheels! Towns, distances and more |

LesterPolfus

Message Posted:
22/10/2011 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

The Ferry is a freight ferry with Artics on board

barney67

Message Posted:
23/10/2011 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

how did the cat cope with the trip we have 2 and was thinking of doing the same oh what happend with the animals when you arrivad in trnc i hope you got home quarantine

doughboy

Message Posted:
01/11/2011 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Hi Mackem73 our friend took a transit van over but it was fitted out as a caravan and he had to disassemble it in the port before they would allow him over i'm not sure why. Otherwise okay.

Also be aware of very high import duty rates on TV's and other digital equipment also any antique items which they will value at their rates not yours. Good luck with your journey we are planning to do it again in 2012 around May time as the the crossing is calmer then.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
01/11/2011 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/57990.asp

See this link also.

clews

Message Posted:
02/11/2011 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

In May 2011 we used the AA route map from the internet to drive to TRNC which was excellent even giving you the toll costs through each country as well as any delays you may encounter (road works etc). Only fault we found was with some of their information regarding new tolls in Istanbul.

The main problem we encountered was on our entry into the TRNC which you may wish to consider. If you have a temporary residency stamp in your passport you will not be allowed to clear your vehicle through customs until you have paid the full duty on the car. This amount is calculated by the customs and the vehicle can not be moved until the duty is paid, in addition costs for parking fees will incur for the time the vehicle has been impounded in the port.

If you do not have a stamp you are allowed to bring the car in until the renewal date on the UK tax disk, however this is still at the discretion of customs and can mean monthly visits to their offices to have it extended month by month.

Abdul

Message Posted:
02/11/2011 12:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

all in all how much does it roughly cost to drive over??

clews

Message Posted:
02/11/2011 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Depends on what you mean . . . travel costs to get here? Petrol, hotel stays, ferry trips, food, toll costs, road tax through certain countries, insurance etc. It took us six days to get here so it was not cheap . . .

Costs for the car once here . . . depend on engine size, insurance, re-registration, import duty . . .

Tinkie

Message Posted:
02/11/2011 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

We did the same route, left UK on Monday afternoon and arrived here Friday morning...stayed 2 nights in hotels and 1 night in the car because we couldnt find a hotel when we crossed over in to Turkey, with taxes, insurance, accomodation, petrol I think it cost about £1000 in total...which included the tunnel crossing which is very expensive if you are only booking one way. When you have decided your route speak to your Insurance company about getting cover in every country you pass through. We got away with having to pay a high premium in Serbia because on the back of my policy it said the country was not covered and they thought it said it was! A couple of times the border customs took us to one side and said that we had to pay tax, but when we said we would do it at the official desk they just let us go...mostly it was a great experience and just wished we had more time to explore and enjoy it.

Tonyta

Message Posted:
03/11/2011

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Watch out for high speed cars flashing you to stop in Bulgaria. Just wave them off, then ignore them. If you think they may be a problem stop in a petrol station or somewhere else there are many people.

Make sure you have some food and drink for the ferry.

Good luck you will enjoy the trip.

dap3081

Message Posted:
03/11/2011 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

We done the trip this May from the UK in our ford transit van with our 2 cats. My email address is:- david_and_jennifer06@hotmail.co.uk email me and I'll send you details, good and bad of our journey to TRNC and just some of the pitfalls once here.

merryweather

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

Hi, I want to try the route you drove firstly I would appreciate any advice my Wife and I want to do it for pleasure and so are not worried about how long it takes us secondly could you possibly let me have a more detailed route.

Best Wishes

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.