North Cyprus Tourist Board - Planes diverted to Ercan from Larnaca?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Planes diverted to Ercan from Larnaca?

Planes diverted to Ercan from Larnaca?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

» Read about Diving in North Cyprus

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

Geoff

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

Last monday evening, 14th Nov, 2011, there are reports that 6 jetliners bound for Larnaca were diverted to Ercan because of the bad weather/storms, many others were diverted to Paphos but Paphos soon got full up as it were and so 6 more went over to Ercan.

There has been no mention of this in the media.

Can any forum member confirm this?

Thanks,

Geoff

Famagusta City.

allycatthree

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

we were on the ba out of larnaca to london and it went to paphos, we were bused there and were 5 hrs late. at larnaca several flights were cancelled incoming, the ba pilot told us 4 other flights went to paphos but there was no sign of them or outgoing passengers. when we left larnaca at 18.40 there were flights landing at lanaca.

Giles

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

Was there that much difference between the conditions at Larnaca to Ercan?

If it had happened someone would have said something....Unless all the planes were empty?

Geoff

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

In reply to Giles - yes, apparently Larnaca had much worse storms, flooding, and power cuts.

Only 1 plane landed there after 3.00 pm, an Easy Jet flight from London, but due to very bad turbulance half the passengers were airsick. The decision was taken to divert all incoming flights to Paphos, but Paphos got "full". The report then is (which I am trying to get confirmed) that 6 more were diverted to Ercan. This has taken place before, and in reverse (Ercan diverted to Paphos or LCA), and who can argue against it on safety grounds, which in emergencies have to take preference over petty politics.

Geoff

Giles

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 16:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

They must have all signed a pledge of silence, and the press on both sides of the line must be useless.

Still if it did happen....Why not? (Perhaps in a parallel Universe?).

Was Akrotiri full as well?

rowlo

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

ercan airport taxi drivers must have been doing back flips up and down the car park , lmao.

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

It didnt happen

Erkin

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 21:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

how would any flight be diverted to a non registered IATA airport, all flights landing or taking off from Ercan are under Ankara and Antalya Air traffic control and would be diverted to Turkey not Ercan, as the flight path into Ercan is incoming only from Alanya and outgoing via Tasucu.

2nd Turkey would not allow the flight to continue to Larnaca or Papos afterwards, they would directthe flight to Kos or Rhodes, there are no flight paths between Turkey and Larnaca, if you recall a couple of weeks ago when Antalaya airport was closed due to bad weather, The Dutch carrier was transfered to Papos by ATC at Rhodes and when Antalya did open, the flight from Papos to Antalya had to land at Rhodes before Antalya ATC would allow it to land in Turkey.

Turkey does not allow any flight to and from Larnaca or Pahos over its airspace.

We have over 500 flight over TRNC everyday via ATC from Turkey but sorry none from the greekside.

Erkin

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 21:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

if you want to track any flight to / from cyprus, you can do so with

http://www.flightstats.com

this tracks the flight from start to finish, the route it is on, the aircraft, the diatnce from departure and arrival, even the make of aircraft )

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

Or this is an interesting flight tracker. It is a real-time monitor and shows all flights currently in the air.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Somebody posted this some time ago but it is worth repeating as the subject is flights.

canada

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

message 10

thank you ,very interesting site

i did not know anything like this was out there

gooligan

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

canada,there is an app for the iphone where you can just point the phone at any passing plane and it gives you the flight code,where it departed,where it's going etc.

newlad

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

Imagine the chaos that there would have been at the border,when people where going back to the South.With none of them having had their visas stamped,to say that they had entered the North,

Paul.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 22:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

There was an occasion a while back when ther was a serious problem in Turkey (forget whether it was earquake or terrorism) and for a short while (then) CTA flights fromUK airports were alllowed to file flight plans (and presumably fuel) direct for Ercan without the usual obligatory stop in Turkey. That didnt of course involve a question of the Greek Cypriots or disputed air space, but it does indicate that Ercan can be recognised as a viable landing ground in an emergency.

rowlo

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

also , who refuelled the planes , and where did the crews stay ? and who paid the 6 baggage handlers at ercan to remove 1 years baggage in 1 night ,

newlad

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

Looks like someone has cocked you a deaf un Geoff,

Paul.

Erkin

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

Msg 14

there has never been a CTA flight planned from the UK to Ercan, what CTA and at the time that you are refering to was in the late 90's and 2004 CTA was only CTA between Ercan and Turkey and then the prefix of the flight would chance from (CTA) YK to TK (THY) to operate flights between Turkey and the UK and back to Turkey as TK then onwards as YK prefix.

During the summer months and this happened until 2007 was that when the flight was in Turkish airspace, the flight would circle over the aiport it was supposed to land at as the destination aiport, ATC in Turkey would then clear the flight to Depart under the new prefix to its destination without landing in Turkey. but then the UK C.A.A fined THY for allowing this practice and CTA was given permission by the the UK C.A.A to operate as CTA for the whole flight, but still need to change the flight no, if you have any old tickets you can see,

Ercan Antalya YK10 Antalya - London Stanstead YK110 that was the only was the rou

Erkin

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 23:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

As for the flights emergency landing at Ercan, sorry under IATA directive which you can check on http://www.iata.org

Ercan aiport does not exist and since emergency landings require

1 Aiport MUST be CAT 3 status.

2 Airport MUST have 24 hour emgency medical and fire service

3 Airport MUST not be more than 6km from the nearest hospital able to conduct full emgerncy cover, If an aircarft crashed in Ercan with the all the state hospitals in TRNC would not be enough to cover the injured or the dead, based on a survey carried out by IATA.

Just for info I was a cabin crew for dear old Dan Air of London till 1989. so i have interest in aiports and aircraft.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 00:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

Erkin:

I remember the flight nos changing fromYK to TK, but that was on flights from Heathrow to Ercan via |Izmir which landed (but did not disembark passengers) at Izmir but that would have been in l993 - 95 when I travelled the route several times. The incident I was referring to was somewhat later and was something of a nine days wonder and I believe it was reported as such in the local press - maybe proves you should believe everything you read in the papers! though I also remember visitors arriving earlier than expected because much to their and everyone else's surprise the plane did not touch down at Izmir.

I have fond memories of DAN Air - as a passenger

Erkin

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 07:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

As i said ATC in Turkey did allow a fly by, once the aircract was in ATC control of Turkey, I have come across that on several times, once from London LHR via Izmir, the flight started going down then at 3000mt we got a cabin announcement welcoming us on a flight to Ercan, when we were still in the air, as a result ended up landing at Ercan 45min to an hour ahead, but since Turkey is now part of the Eurozone ATC, they are no longer able to control their airspace without approval from Brussels.

5 months ago I was travelling from Adana to Izmir and we had to wait 35 min on the flight before take off due to delays of Euro ATC.

Yes I also have fond memories of Dan Air, my first flight was on a the old Bac1-11a ircraft from Gatwick to Malaga and back then later on AB300, shame like British Caledonian got taken over by British Airways as well.

We all wish they were Caledonian girls

doddies

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

Erkin.

Previous to CTA, in the 1980`s the only flight via Izmir was Heathrow/Ercan by Turkish Airlines

This airline abbreviation was and still is THY. Flight prefix TK.

CTA flights were always YK and only the number would change between Ercan/Turkey and Turkey/UK.

CTA certainly flew UK/Ercan via Izmir,or Antalya, or Dalaman as YK with only a flight number change. (and sometimes, if your lucky, on the Thursday night flight, direct/nonstop)

Deniz1

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

I was on one of those non stop flights.when i woke up we were at Ercan 90 mins early. It was great.

diver

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

I flew into Larnaca on Monday evening around 10pm on a Cyprus Airways flight from Heathrow. It was very bumpy on the way down, with a few tears and prayers going on around me but the pilot did a great job and we had a smooth landing.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.