North Cyprus Tourist Board - Can Turkish person fly Istanbul-Ercan and then cross into South Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Can Turkish person fly Istanbul-Ercan and then cross into South Cyprus

Can Turkish person fly Istanbul-Ercan and then cross into South Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

CliveS

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

I have a Turkish mother in law living in Istanbul, would it be possible for her to fly in to Ercan and for us to pick her up at airport and drive over the border into Southern Cyprus? Would she need a visa? I heard people cross the border quite freely from both sides, is this true?

Thanks

Clive

rowlo

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

where you going to meet her ?

Erkin

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Msg 1

No is the simple answer, unless your mother has EU or a Passport which does not require a visa for the republic of Cyprus then No she is not able to Cross.

If your mother is from the Republic of Turkey, then the only way for her to enter Cyprus, would be to get 2 visas.

firstly you must sent all her documents my fax or email to the Republic of Cyprus Embassy in Athens, once they have approved her application, the embassy in athens will send all the paperwork to the Republic of Greece Embassy in Ankara - Istanbul or Izmir which ever is closest to her.

At the Republic of Greece Embassy she will be issued with a 5 day transit visa for Greece. On arrival into Athens she will have 48 hours to go to the Republic of Cyprus Embassy to be issued with a Visa for Cyprus, then she must enter into Cyprus via Larnaca or Paphos airport, once she has arrived, she can return home from the Turkish side using Ercan aiport to fly back to Turkey,

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

I thought non EU citizens can only enter Cyprus from Larnaca or Paphos

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

A Turkish friend of ours lives in North Cyprus but cannot cross over into the South.

CliveS

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

We planned to drive over into the TRNC and meet her at Ercan Airport.

Option 2 was to drive over to the TRNC, pick her up at the airport and rent a villa in the TRNC for a couple of weeks. She wouldn't need a visa to travel and stay in the TRNC would she?

Thanks for the info guys

Clive

Marion

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 23:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Erkin is correct, so maybe if you don't want hassle, then come on over and give her a stay on 'our' side of the island. Might give her a better holiday! Or do as Erkin says and apply for a visa. As far as I know no Turks are allowed to cross over from here. Also she might feel a little uncomfortable in the south. all those signs of 'Turks out' are abit unfriendly.

Erkin

Message Posted:
23/11/2011 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

come on Marion it isn't that bad.

But as i said thats the only way for a R.O.Turkey to enter Cyprus, too much of a hassle for a visa

Current cost 192TL Transit visa for Greece

and 67Euro for Cyprus Visa not to mention the 2 nights stay over in athens while your visa is being issued to you.

Turks are allowed to cross from the north to the south once you enter Cyprus via the legal port/airport

after arriving into The Greekside then as far as the GC goverment is concerned you have entered Cyprus legaly.

and can move freely around the island.

Erkin

Message Posted:
23/11/2011 00:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Msg 4: EU or non EU can enter TRNC without a problem, but non E.U members are not permited to cross from North to south, if they want to see both sides of the island then the only way is via larnaca or Paphos or the port of Limassol.

Marion

Message Posted:
23/11/2011 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

I didn't mean to convey it was all that bad over there. I used to live there too remember, but I am not a Turk! But I do agree that it is not worth the hassle for a few days holiday. So it seems there are two options (1) get a visa and fly via Athens,to Larnaca or (2) come to the North, stay here and enjoy!"

i know what I would prefer, being of a bit of a lazy so and so!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.