North Cyprus Tourist Board - Driving to TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Driving to TRNC

Driving to TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

grahamlil

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Hi all,

Has anyone every driven from Britain to TRNC, it would be nice to hear about their experiences, no I am not thinking of driving, "I don't think" but I am sure other people are and I am sure it would be helpful to them.

Come on UKturk I bet this one has beaten you

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

hi graham

actually mate it has not got me beaten l.o.l when i was younger my family and me drove from london to famagusta a couple of times even thou i was not driving because i was very young i do remember it seemed forever because back in the day there were many countries that we could not pass thru because they had civil problems.

saying that thou four years ago i helped my mate move from newcastle to marmaris turkey and is practically the same journey you just carry on to antayla then mersin then cross over from there it took us 5 days was taking it easy (was in a van) we went through quite a few countries like france (calais-dunkerque-lille-reims) - belgium (genk) - holland - germany (frankfurt-bonn) - austria - slovenia (ptujska cesta) - croatia did not see much was sleeping - serbia (vozda karadorda) - bulgaria did not like it a bit of a dump - then finally turkey into istanbul what a great city full of history and sights crossed the bospherus sea the whole of turkey has got some lovely sights and i would reconmend anyone to see turkey (istanbul-canakalle (where the brits and the aussies tried to invade turkey) izmir - bodrum - kussadasi - fethiye - marmaris from there you can get the catamaran over to rhodes nice place full of history and falaraki for your nights out

if any of you guys want to ask me anything bout turkey like what places to visit please dont hesitate in posting me and remember if you are in cyprus it only costs 30-40 pound to come over to turkey and takes only 45 mins to get here and is quite cheaper than north cyprus to have a break

regards

McSteviet

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Graham,

Try this link for now.

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/show-message.asp?messageID=438

MC

McSteviet

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 12:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Erkan,

Are you based in Turkey then? not Cyprus?

Sweet.

MC

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 13:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

hi there steve

im based in turkey and north cyprus, spend around six months in turkey and six months in north cyprus

so ive got the best of both worlds and havent lived in the u.k for around 8 years only go back to the u.k for hols to see friends and sometimes for a bit of buisness!!!!

just the way i like it mate

regards

erkan

McSteviet

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Nice one.

We wenk to Turunc for a week in August. Great place for our first time in Turkey, would def go again, but then I'm gonna have to spend a bit of time in Cyprus next year checking things on the Villa construction, buying furniture, picking tiles, wardrobes, kitchen etc

Business Eh !!!!

Steve

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

hi stevie

i know turunc very well nice place very relaxed about 20mins away from marmaris centre im actually in armutalan which is set back from marmaris quiet i dont like being in the centre because its too touristy!!!!

shame we did not meet earlier i could have shown you the sights and taken you on my mates boat and shown you all the bays round marmaris never mind maybe next time!!!!

regards

erkan

grahamlil

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

ukturk,

We should start a forum on who can ask a question that UKturk cant answer, what do you know about proctoligy?? only joking, nice to hear from you again mate.

We have spent a month on a Guilett sailing around the coast from Bodrum, we have seen a lot of the coastal ports of Turkey but not a lot inland, we did make a trip to see Ephesus quite a site, we did the normal tourist bit, mud baths, tourtle beaches, burial cave etc, great fun great people great scenery, but not quite as friendly as TRNC.

Thanks for the link MCSTEVIET

Regards all

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

hi graham

i must say you made me smile with your comments, i have to say im sorry if i come across like i know it all but it would be a crime if i did not know about where i come from being turkish cypriot and living in turkey aswell as the u.k,

you quite right in saying turk cypriots are a bit more friendly the reason behind this is because turkey has been a tourist place for some time so they must of had enough of having always a smile on their face, where on the other hand north cyprus has just now started to become a tourist destination

take care

regards

ukturk

p.s proctology is a field in medicine that deals with disorders of the rectum,anus and colon and is dervied from the greek word proktos meaning anal but that is as far as i know

L.O.L

grahamlil

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 18:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

ukturk,

never apologies for helping people out, you are one of the most helpful people on the forum, I am only joking with you.

I bet you looked that one up though

regards

grahamlil

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

hi graham

l.o.l i know you was joking with me mate and it was not directed at you, just to some people who might think that (if there is any)

thank you again for your kind words

to tell you truth mate i knew the word prokots meant arses in greek but did not know proctology meant its a field of medicine in arses (did look it up) l.o.l

we could possibley need some of this medicine on the greek cypriot government and their supporters and some members on other forums who dont know sh.t!!!! l.o.l

sorry for the crudeness!!!!

regards back to you

erkan aka ukturk l.o.l

grahamlil

Message Posted:
02/11/2007 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

UKturk,

It seems to me that the Greek government are rapidly loosing their support around the world, for their downright bloody inability to move into the 21st century

regards

grahamlil

ukturk

Message Posted:
02/11/2007 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

hi graham

you know what it is mate they never had the support it was a case of the whole world belived the bullsh.t propaganda stories the greeks portrayed on the turks and north cyprus

now not just the turks are involed the british and the rest of europe even the yanks are asking questions and raising points that the greeks cant answer so its making them after all look like the liars and the finger of blame are starting to be pointed in the greek governments direction instead of the turkeys and north cyprus's direction

i just hope they keep on complaining about everyone and everything so the whole world can see for themselves how prehistoric the mentalitiy is of the greeks!!!!!

regards

erkan

tarry123

Message Posted:
05/11/2007 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Well this posting really helped everyone to arrange a route over from the UK.

grahamlil

Message Posted:
05/11/2007 15:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Come on people,

Someone must have driven from the UK to TRNC in the last couple of years.

the butler

Message Posted:
05/11/2007 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Grahmlil,

Try logging on to TRNC Villa Owners where dutchcrusader has done maps for several routes from Uk - TRNC

Avril

pilgrim

Message Posted:
05/11/2007 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

hi grahamhill

Did trip 2 years ago route :- dover/calais through northern france to mont blanc tunnel (overnight stayed in Annecy Fantastic place)next day through Italy overnight San Marino (excellent) arrived Brindisi caught ferry to Cesme Turkey (2 1/2 days)average. Arrived early morning 1000klm fast drive on motorway standard roads (route Izmir-Konya-Tasuco) last bit hairy mountain roads.

Arrived 10pm for midnight ferry, did'nt leave till nearly 6am, then 4 left together and we raced to Girne.(not a good experience, packed full, hot and scuffy) Overall great trip and I have my explorer here because of it . Completed a further 10000 trouble free miles in it since then, saving plenty on hire charges!

Further details costs etc available if anyone interested.

regards

p

spud1

Message Posted:
05/11/2007 21:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

hi pilgrim i am thinking of driving over to girne early next year could you let me know the cost i would like to leave a car there at my apartment is there a problem with that regards spud1

pilgrim

Message Posted:
05/11/2007 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Spud1

total cost depends on following components petrol, tolls, overnight accomodation, ferry costs and on route food and drink.

As explorer is 4ltr petrol costs were higher than normal, but managed 26-28 mpg over our 2200 route, tolls in france 150euro tunnel 15euro. We stayed in small hotels 60-80 per night inc breakfast. ferries uk/france 140euro, italy/turkey 600euro (decent cabin, shower etc) food on board cheap but basic.

turkey/trnc 100euro. reasonable priced good food enroute in france and turkey,Italy dearer total allow 30/50 euro perday (2people)

We treated it as part of our holiday so went out for al la carte dinner in Annecy and San Marino adding about 150euros.

Great sights on route lake Annecy, Alps, San Marino Walled city , coast road down through Italy, islands passed on ferry to turkey, ancient city on Konya.

Handy having car in TRNC , tax to pay if your keeping long term, or keep on uk plates, not expert,plenty of advice on this subject elsewhere on this site.

go for it!

regards

p

grahamlil

Message Posted:
06/11/2007 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Pilgrim,

Great reply to the thread just what I thought, really useful to people

Thanks

grahamlil

Milou

Message Posted:
06/11/2007 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Pilgrim

Thanks so much for your info - we intend taking the same route out in Mid January but I am finding it difficult to get ferry crossings - what month did you go out?

Regards

ukturk

Message Posted:
06/11/2007 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

hi there

ive provided a link for you milou where you can contact the company

http://www.marmaralines.com/eindex.htm

this is the company that deals with the crossings

ive looked at the timetables it actually starts in april the ancona to cesme crossing departs every sat 22:30 and arrives tue 07:00 and the brindisi to cesme starts in june departs every wed 11.30 and arrives thurs 18:15

i have also included a link to the company who deals with the crossing between turkey and cyprus you can either go from alanya to girine takes 3 and half hours or from taucu to girine

http://www.fergun.net/uk/index.htm

hope this all helps you guys

regards

ukturk

Milou

Message Posted:
06/11/2007 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Pilgrim and UkTurk

You've been a great help - I am getting so excited at being able to see something of Turkey. Keith and I intend spending some days looking at ancient relics, other than each other - I read a wonderful book by Orhan Pamuk called "Istanbul" - a true story about him growing up as a child - it so reminded me of my childhood, his mother sounded just like mine!

Regards

p.s. UkTurk, if you want to write your book, go and see Orhan, he'll be able to give you some advice. He's also a wonderful artist.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
06/11/2007 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Milou and spud1

went in early september good weather throughout trip.

ukturk thanks for providing ferry links

spud1

Message Posted:
06/11/2007 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

thanks pilgrim a great help regards spud1

lippylush

Message Posted:
06/11/2007 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Dave and I drove through to Girine 3 weeks ago. We left the Isle of Man on Saturday morning by ferry drove to Dover and caught the 10pm ferry to Dunkerque and then drove trhough France/Belgium/Switzerland/Luxembourg/Italy to Venice. Caught the ferry to Igoumenista (Greece) 22hours .... on though Greece into Turkry via Ipsala, short ferry from Eceabat to Canakkale then on through Turkey via Izmir, Afyon, Konya to Tasucu then overnight ferry to Girine arriving Friday morning. We had a great time the scenery was fantastic and stopped every night driving though the day. The ferry from Venice was brilliant took some fantastic photos of Venice from the ship and just wished we had time to stay over for an extra day. However we knew there was no ferry to Girine on the Friday night so decided to keep going. As already mentioned in previous posting the ferry from Tasucu was horrendous no seating room, dirty and 3 hours late departing had to sleep on the sun deck on the floor and got covered in soot from the funnels. However we had a great time apart from that and the final route down into Tasucu which had just been resurfaced and we had to drive through soaking wet tar which covered the 4x4. Would reccomend driving at least once if only for the experience. We flew back to Manchester last weekend.

Regards Sue and Dave

grahamlil

Message Posted:
07/11/2007 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

This is great people,

Just what a thread should do give others information and be interesting

thanks to everybody that has supported this thread

Grahamlil

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.