North Cyprus Tourist Board - How can i get British tv in Northen Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > How can i get British tv in Northen Cyprus

How can i get British tv in Northen Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

MartinFord

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

Moved over to North Cyprus 6 months ago and was wondering is there a way to get english tv stations, we have a sat dish and are connected to Nile sat but most channels are not in english, if someone can help me or tell me the best way to go on this it would be good. Alll i need to know is what i need and where i can get it from . Hope someone can come to my rescue and give me some advice. Thanks

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

I watch all UK TV channels through my Multimax internet connection which includes a free VPN. The internet connection is competitiely priced so effectively watching UK TV is free.

Also see message 13 from 'juliamoons' in this thread:-

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/82378.asp

erolz

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

Firstly a quick decleration of interest, I am going to start working for Multimax Internet in the near future.

Having said that the main options are

For British TV - that is TV the same as what people in the UK are watching, same channels etc

1. Sky satelite based service in the TRNC. This would require a 4.2meter dish to get 'all' channels and UK based subscriptions for UK subscription channels. That is one hell of a big dish, but for some its a good or best solution. With a smaller 1.2 meter offset dish (I think that the size, but not 100% sure) you can get a subset of those UK channels, free to air and subscitption (with the necessary UK subcription). So for example with the smaller dish option you will not be able to get BBC1 , but I think you can get BBC 'red button'

For the exact details of what you cand and can not get with the big dish and small dish you should probably speak with iceman on this forum.

[cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 13:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

You should be aware that sky themselves do not offer this service outside the UK. THis route will be based on them essentialy not being aware that you are not in the UK. To sky you make it appear you are a normal UK subscriber.

2. Internet based solutions.

The first thing to say about internet based alternatives to broadcast solutions is that they will never be as reliable as a broadcast system either in the UK itself or here via an appropriately sized dish. If you get such a set up and expect it to just work like your are in the UK watching a broacast be it terestrial, or sat based, then you will be dispointed at some point. To give a real world example last years F1 coverage on BBC, off the 19 races (was it 19) that I watched via an internet based system I think 2 times of the 19 I was unable to enjoyably watch the coverage live and had to resort to watching not live later via download of streaming. [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

Having pointed out up front the biggest downside of internet based solutions I have to also say it has many up sides as well as down sides. Cost is a major upside of internet based solution in that assuming you will need an internet connection anyway and vs the the up front cost of a 4.2 meter dish. It also has advantages like being able to watch stuff when you want to watch it, on demand and not just have to watch it when it broadcast. In many ways the compromise is similar to using voip telephony like skype vs using a 'normal' phone. Skype in general will not work as reliably as a normal phone but it has advantages as well, in cost in flexibility (video calls, multiway calls etc).

For me internet TV is a viable solution if you have the right expectations going in to it and if you are willing to perhaps modify how you watch tv to get the most from it. So for example internet based soutions will have the lowest reliability if you simply want to watch what is showing [cont]

breezyboy

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

So how much does the internet connection cost?

I am only over for 8+ weeks a year but at the right price it could be worth it to me.

erolz

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

in the UK 'live'. The reliability goes up if you watch content 'on demand' that is not 'live' (that is its not what would be showing in the UK if you switched on a TV there) but is content that has been shown live in the UK in the last week or so. If you then also 'download' content when you can overall average relaibility will go up even more. So its down to expectations and usage.

Rather than British TV, if you mean English language TV, that is content that may have alot of crossover with what is shown in the UK but its not a straigh one to one channel match, then there are other options again. You are using one of the free to air options now (Nile Sat). There are subcription options to this that would give you more 'english language' content (rather than British TV per se) , the main one being OSN. As much as I hate to say it the person to seek more info on this about is Paul Aldred (washerman) though there are other suppliers here. [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

Again similar to the Sky sat dish option you should be aware that OSN do not offical offer their service in the TRNC. Using it here requires making then think you are using it in a region they do supply, which is basically the middle east. So this option would not give 'british TV' but would give alot of english language content included sport and needs a much smaller dish than sky does (middle east is a lot closer to us than the UK).

As to which option is 'best' there is no one size fits all to this in my view. It depends on each indivdual, what they watch and how they want to watch it and other factors. I have tried to give an overview of the main differences between the options but which is right for you and your viewing habits and pocket I can not say.

erolz

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

breezeyboy there is currently no good internet option for people that are only here for 8 weeks in a year in reality. The only internet connections here that are suitable for such short stays would be 3G mobile phone based services, where you can pay for just one or two months in a year. The problem with these is they all come with data limits and watching video will eat these data limits up at such a rate that it is not cost effective.

Pippie

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

If you're here for such short periods why not ask a friend who lives here if they can download programmes you're interested in. I use http://www.thebox.bz, and then you can watch at your leisure.

Panchocat

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

If you have a sky package in the UK you could buy a slingbox and watch your programmes here as long as you have internet here and a pretty good internet/satellite package in the UK.

erolz

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

Yeah panchocat, forgot slingbox as another internet based option, good point. I would say it is similar in the expectations line, if you expect it to be 99.995% reliable like boracast is you will probably be disapointed at some point and thats even if your ISP here and your ISP in the UK is 99.995% reliable connection wise, there is still a big 'gap' between these two that is not under the control of either ISP than can and sooner or later will interupt your viewing on occasions.

iceman

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

A 1.8m offset sat dish + basic SKY package gives you plenty of UK channels.

billywiz

Message Posted:
30/01/2012 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

panchocat i.m coming over in 2 months and my wife would curl up and die without her soaps. Could you please explain what i need to do or get, i have a dish on the villa but it is not set up, you mentioned about a slingbox i,ve never heard of this system before.Any advise would be most greatfull

yrys88

Message Posted:
31/01/2012 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Hi billywiz

You hook up your slingbox to your skybox in the UK leave it on and the internet.

When you come out here you get an multimax connection from TECHMAR, and a smart box with slingplayer loaded. Plug the smart box in the TV and get access to your sky box at home.

email yrtrnc@yahoo.co.uk for details.

Thanks

Yen

yrys88

Message Posted:
31/01/2012 00:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Hi billywiz

You hook up your slingbox to your skybox in the UK leave it on and the internet.

When you come out here you get an multimax connection from TECHMAR, and a smart box with slingplayer loaded. Plug the smart box in the TV and get access to your sky box at home.

Thanks

Yen

yrys88

Message Posted:
31/01/2012 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Hi billywiz

Thanks

Yen

yrys88

Message Posted:
31/01/2012 00:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

Hi billywiz

Thanks

Yen

yrys88

Message Posted:
31/01/2012 09:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

ooopppss..

loulou

Message Posted:
31/01/2012 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

we watch all UK TV channels through my Multimax internet connection which includes a free VPN. The internet connection is competvitiely priced so effectively watching UK TV is free. you can either pay monthly or yearly

Texas

Message Posted:
31/01/2012 09:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Sky Go:

You could also find someone in the UK who is a Sky Subscriber. Then you, through a VPN could get Sky Go on your internet over here. Free. Sky Go allows 2 pc's to receive a similar (Subscibed) Sky package on your pc's.

If you are a Sky subscriber, you don't even need a friend! Very easy to set up, but as others have stated, it all depends on your internet connection over here, as well as your download limits.

Here is a link to all the channels that if you subscribe to are available, please note, you get all Sky Sports and Sky Movies:

http://go.sky.com/vod/page/default/home.do#url= http://go.sky.com/vod/content/Home/content/default/allChannels.do

This is also a very good service for those with a 1.8m offset dish who subcribe to Sky World, but instead of getting all Sky Movies, only get a few.

Texas

Message Posted:
31/01/2012 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

A question about Slingbox.

Am I correct in the belief for the Slingbox to be effective you need a 10Mb (Ten Megabyte) upload from the UK, i.e. BT Infinity and at least a 4Mb download in the TRNC?

billywiz

Message Posted:
31/01/2012 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

Thanks for that found 1 in PC world £120, my daughter is staying home in the UK does that mean i have to watch the same programmes as she does

butterfly

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 07:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

if you just mean english speaking, then go for a basic digiturk package;

bbc entertainment (eastenders, top gear,etc - repeats but in english)

bbc news

cnn news

dizimax and dizimaxmore (equilivent to sky one, FX, living, lots of choice)

many more

all for about 30TL per month i believe.

straitasadie

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

You can't, Britain does not make televisions any more.

yrys88

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

Yes you have to watch the same channels.

And no you dont need a 10 MB upload speed 2-4 is enough. 4 mb download is needed here!

Texas

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

yrys88.

Re; message 26. You are correct that you have to watch the same channels, however if you get a Sky multiroom package you can have control over that box, leaving the main box free for whoever has control over it.

One other thing, do you have the slingbox working over here?

yrys88

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

Yes multiroom would work!

Yes, a customer of mine has the slingbox working. We connected it directly through one of our smart players to his TV. He was well chuffed! So no need for PC either.

Sugarpuffbear

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

Here is another question concerning Humax FoxSat HDR will this work with a sling box in the same way as a sky box, (obviously not for subscribed to services).

Can someone answer this one for me please ?

I have heard that different files have to be uploaded to the Humax anyone any experience of this please.

Thanks

padisha

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

Texas - message 21. Perhaps you can help me. (Or anyone else please!!!!)

İ have recently updated to a 1.8m sky dish, HD sky Plus box and Sky package including Sports. Tried to watch 6 Nations , got perfect picture on TV (BBC Sport) but no commentary, only the sound of players, crowd and referee!. İ am connected to İnternet via broadband on my landline. İs there some way that İ can get BBC (or anything else), via İnternet?

Padisha

padisha

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

İ have just been told that it is because my dish needs re-aligning. İs this possible? İceman installed so İ am sure that is not the problem

Texas

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

Padisha,

Message 30/31.

Iceman installed mine, same system as yours. Strangely enough, my dished moved after the recent winds, I tried to re-allign it myself, as I can see my TV when I move my dish. I was able to get the "red button" channels on Sky Sports, i.e. additional games.

When Iceman came, as I had lost a lot more than I gained, he got me all my channels back, but not the "red button" ones. It may have just been a coincidence, or more than likely it was the time of day, but it still is a mystery!

You can get BBC sport commentary on a few additional "other" Sky channels, but Iceman will help you. Alternatively, use BBC through a VPN. The sound may be simultaneous with Sky, or there may be a difference.

Try adding channels on the following frequency: 11:954 Horizontal.

Two more things, what Sky channel do you watch BBC sport on, and do you have 4Mb ADSL?

padisha

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

many thanks texas--------------will go and see iceman tomorrow--------just wanted to check with others before looking stupid

padisha

Message Posted:
07/02/2012 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

Couldn't get to İceman today - does anybody else have anything to add regarding BBC etc on İnternet?

khristy

Message Posted:
07/02/2012 21:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

yrys88

what is a smartbox ?

we are using a slingbox from the uk

does it have a remote ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.