North Cyprus Tourist Board - Pegasus weighing hand luggage
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Pegasus weighing hand luggage

Pegasus weighing hand luggage

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

Barno

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 09:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

I flew from Ercan on Monday and went through check in they never even asked about hand luggage (thats normal) but when we were about to board the aeroplane the staff were checking hand luggage and weighing the ones they felt were over 8 kilo. There were a few people over and they had to pay and some cases were put in the hold.

At Stansted when you go through "nothing to declare" everyone had to put their luggage through xray machine (from turkey)

This info you may already know, i didnt, i do try to keep within my limits but never worried too much about hand luggage going out before..... Im sharing this so you dont get inconvenienced on your next flight out

mamachina

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 09:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks, Barno - that certainly is different. I can see I am in for some fun soon as I go out from Larnaca by Monarch to Manchester - always a pain with their luggage stuff, and coming back from Stansted to Ercan - and like you my hand luggage is variable - as long as I can heft it along thats it!! Can see I will have to lighten the load this time!

Supersnooper

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Mamchina....be aware, I came back last week Stansted to Ercan and they charged someone £9 because they were ONE kilo over in their case and were weighing ALL hand luggage.

ray.johnson1

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 09:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Do take care, we were told to consolidate all our hand baggage into one piece each which resulted in us being 7 kilos over the 8 allowed, the bag was put in the hold and we were charged not just for the 7 overweight but for the 8 allowed as well, all at £9 per kilo. Have written to their Chairman but really do not expect a reply, will not be flying Pegasus again.

Namps

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

we came back with pegasus 2 weeks ago.Our hand luggage,1 each, hand a label put on it by a member of the floor staff,and luggage went through no problem. However a young lady next to us checked in her case, had a heavy back pack on, a large carrier bag bulging and her hand bag. Seemed very disgruntled when told to make it into one bag and then weigh it. Always suprises us what people manage to get on board with what they call "hand luggage".

Wibow

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Stansted - Ercan

We came back last Saturday 14th

Check in lady at the desk at Stansted was very nice

as was the lady who checked our hand luggage

We was over on our hold luggage so was told to put some in hand luggage

as it was under weight, in the end we still had to pay 8 pounds a kilo

By the way still don't know if there scales are right

Because we weighed everything, Hand and hold luggage

phylray

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

This happened to me once last year at Stansted, and I just took some items

out and put them in my numerous pockets! Problem solved, but weight in cabin

would be the same!

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

It's the same with all Budget Airlines. They try to make as much possible from extras, baggage, food on board, etc. I don't have a problem with that when the fare is cheap, £50, £100, etc.

Unfortunately, some Pegasus prices are not budget from Stansted to Ercan either. Near £300 for a return flight this summer already and there is 6 months to go. Paying £300+, then being treated like a Ryanair customer is something I'm trying to avoid..

Not sure what happened to the competition to Ercan? AtlasJet were rumoured, but no prices on their website. Turkish Airlines requires an aircraft change.. WIth a virtual monopoly from Stansted to Ercan, any wonder they are profiteering?

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Thomas Cook only allow 5 kilo in hand baggage and make you put the excess in your hold baggage, then charge you for the extra.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

mamachina. We went from Larnaca to Manchetser 6th January all our luggage was weighed I had a small case and a small handbag when we got to the boarding gate an announcement was made that only one piece of hand luggage was allowed and if you had two one would be taken from you put in the hold and charged, I was made to put my handbag in my hand luggage some items my husband had to put in his pockets, we boarded then the fun started Greek students were coming on board with two and three pieces of hand luggage the cabin crew couldn't believe it one said "where are all these bags coming from"? the answer was check in were allowing them. There was not enough room in the overhead lockers so one of the toilets was closed off to stack luggage in and we had a 40 min delay as some had to go in the hold but these went in without paying extra, I said to the cabin crew "so there is one rule for one and a rule for otheres" she just shrugged her shoulders. I have sent a latter to Monarch.

dougskud

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Hi All good morning.

Why is it people complain when an airline chooses to collect charges that have been advised prior to the purchase of a ticket.

Do what I and any sensible person does, get a reliable "suitcase scale" and ruler and check what luggage you are taking before turning up at the check in desk.

If you are being penalised it is because you have not taken enough care to comply with the contract you have with the airline.

regards

Doug

bigOz

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Excessive use of luggage can be dangerous to aircraft having to take off with full passengers. The heavy luggage in the holds above passengers can be dangerous in case of an emergencies such as heavy turbulance. I guess, passengers have to be discouraged by extra charges. There is so much one is allowed to carry as "hand luggage" and I believe it applies to most airlines in operation. The fact that some may not to bother to check the weight of the hand luggage is of no consequence.

Weight and balance calculations have to be carried out based on average weight of the hand luggage as well as the luggage in holds. Cypriots (and Turks) traditionally love to carry shoulder breaking weights not to have overweight suitcases. I have witnessed people carrying hand luggage heavier than their suitcases! I also believe the maximum weight one can carry in a hand luggage is also stated on the tickets and conditions.

cooper

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

I'm with you Doug, always travel with Pegasus and never had any problems after all Pegasus are more generous than most allowing 8kg hand luggage.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Msg 8 I have just booked a 17 day return trip on Pegasus for July/August and it only cost £230.

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 18:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

msg 14, Was that today or previously, as £230 is not available now. I've just checked again from STN to ECN return on the flypgs website:

Cheapest outbound after 10th July when schools close is: £143

Cheapest return flight in July/August is: £126

Total with charges is: £294

So £294 is the cheapest with late / night flights. If you select the earlier flights, it would be over £300.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Ok, have read all the above, so what happens next? Perhaps they will begin to weigh us, I weigh a little over 9 stone but my husband is 16 stone, perhaps he will be the next "excess baggage charge" Watch this space, I am not kidding!

Barno

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 18:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

I wasnt moaning i was trying to let people know that Pegasus at Ercan were not being as lenient as they have been in the past, this should stop people being inconvenienced and for all the people who always go away with correct weight it should stop delays for you too!

stubbs1

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Excellent point made with message 5 & 10. I can't believe my eyes sometimes. We are diligent in our packing and weighing. All for what, I ask myself sometimes? Keep challenging the airline staff at check in. Ask will students be given special dispensation. Also ask are the hand luggage rules enforced? Ask for the name of an airline staff member who you wish to complain to if you see fair play being ignored. My companion thinks I'm a pain, often referring to me as Victor Meldrew. He dosen't complain when we find ourselves up graded though!! Come on consumer complain for fairness not favour!!

breezyboy

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 18:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

The only good thing about Pegasus Stanstead was the lady who told us we could take the laptop out of the hand luggage as it didn't count. We were 1kilo over each bag and paid but they were slightly under on our baggage weigher at home.

Had no alternative last year but would never use pegasus again even if I had to change dates.

cooper

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Msg 19 well that's one less moaning old sod i have to worry about being sat next too )

journey1

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

8kgs has been standard for hand luggage for ages with Pegasus. They have had the specific info online under general rules. What is really good with this information that it describes what is not included in the 8kgs hand luggage - laptop, coat, umbrella etc - much more than many airlines allow. My first question however is the amount and size of hand luggage that seems to be allowed for folks getting off in Turkey and joining the flight in Turkey to Ercan?? Some of it seems really huge!The second is that I weigh around 8 stones and often sit beside 16+ stone folks - we are all in the cabin??? Will we see a move to weigh the passengers?!

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Could this help

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rufus-Roo-BIG-POCKET-Travel-Jacket-/190628073117?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Luggage_CA&var=&hash=item7219048936

deputydawg

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

It seems to me that the purges from time to time by Pegasus regarding hand baggage are brought about by the few selfish travellers who spoil it for everyone by trying to travel with massively overweight and oversized cabin luggage. Some could not care less if they do not allow others room in the cabin lockers to put just a coat. We try to keep within the 8 kilo limit in a very small sized holdall and the handbaggage is not weighed. It also seems that when issue is taken with passengers regarding handbaggage of hold weight and dimensions many of them verbally abuse the check in staff confirming the passengers short sighted stupidity as well as their selfishness.

rocky

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 23:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

I have flown with Pegasus a few times and never experienced a problem with luggage. I abide by the guidelines on the web site and ticketing. Yes they have picked up my hand luggage but not weighed it. They are reasonably priced flights and you cant expect something for nothing. If you go over the wieght limit thats your fault, if you get caught you pays th emoney tough.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
27/01/2012 15:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Msg 20

Cooper

No moaning at all now - I only fly Turkish Business Class.

There is only you on it and nobody to moan to or from

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.