North Cyprus Tourist Board - Driving back to UK
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Driving back to UK

Driving back to UK

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

» North Cyprus Map

slimboyfat

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 19:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

I'm intending to drive back to the UK, can anyone give me advise regarding route, car insurance required etc.

I presume that once I cross into Bulgaria and stick to EU countries I won't need any visas.

Scarecrow

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Hi i personally do not have the answers u require but Paul from Kings Bar and Steve from Stevies Bar have both done the journey so they would be able to help you. Hope you enjoy the journey, its an experience

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

RE slimboyfat, msg 1 :(...) I'm intending to drive back to the UK, can anyone give me advise regarding route, car insurance required etc. I presume that once I cross into Bulgaria and stick to EU countries I won't need any visas. (...)

===> The fastest way to the UK from Bulgaria is via Serbia (non-EU). You'll find a map UK -> TRNC on my server here: http://tinyurl.com/a4v397 . The map can be printed, but if you need a high quality file to print let me know and I'll email it to you (including a list of very useful tips, motels etc). Have a nice, interesting and safe trip!

froggy

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 20:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

have information for you, if you email me at

nickharrop5866@live.co.uk and i will send the info over to you.

froggy

PtePike

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

slimboyfat,

Did you drive over and is your car UK-registered? There are a few variables depending on your situation. Depending on your route you will leave the EU and rejoin it on your way home.

Here's one tried and tested route I've used: Kyrenia ferry>Tasucu Turkey(non-EU)>Bulgaria(EU)>Serbia(non-EU)>Bosnia Hercegovina (non-EU)>Croatia(non-EU)>Slovenia(EU)>Austria(EU)>Germany(EU)>Netherlands(EU)>Belgium(EU) ferry-UK

You will need a green card for your car and international drivers licence, as well as insurance for non-EU areas. Turkey is often covered by insurance but check the small print - sometimes it only applies west of the Bosphurus. As for visas you will need one for Turkey (or you used to) but not for Croatia or Bosnia (which you don't need to drive through but you shouldn't miss Sarajevo). Serbia I wasn't asked for one but then I have a warrant card to get pally with local cops.

As I say, a lot depends on the origin of the car and your nationality. Good luck.

PtePike

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 21:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Slimboyfat,

I notice three messages ago you said: "Thanks to the likes of Pike and Suzzanne I rarely come on the BB now."

Coachie

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

What about ferry to Turkey then another ferry from Turkey to Italy then drive home.A dam site easier than driving through Bulgaria etc Lot more civilised as well,better accomodation and food,roads alot better as well...

Rocker

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

If your car has Cyprusc (TRNC) Plates you will not get out of TUrkey. Good Luck.

Lilli

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

hi coachie, guido did that route over with my car it is easier but laws change all the time so not sure now,buts says the most direct wayy is the ferry tatlisu, drive to konya then to ankara onto istanbbul, to sophia drive to yugoslavia border to belgrade, ljubiana onto salsberg, stuttgard, munich, frankfurt then to holland, drive through dunkirk , lille onto callas ferry DOVER.

Happpy travelling slimboy enjoy your trip, it seems that is the most direct. He did it in 3 and a half days but if it was me and i had the time and money I would go through Italy and enjoy . Happy xmas to you all x

mfccyprus

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

if you are going to drive through Italy be aware the Italians are targeting brits and robbing them making out they are police I got robbed when I drove from the UK to here and I was one of many

Coachie

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

I dont know if it has changed in Bulgaria,but you had to buy insurance at the border because they would not accept the Green Card and they wanted the foreign currency but I suppose since they have come into the EU they will/may have changed.I think they still use their own currency because I believe they are not in the Euro Money system yet.Might pay you to check it out slim boy fat if you decide to go that route.....

slimboyfat

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 18:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Is that right about TRNC number plated cars not being allowed to pass out of Turkey to Bulgaria?

froggy

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 19:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

slim boy fat, email me at,

nickharrop5866@live.co.uk and i will send the info over to you.

froggy

jurgen

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Bulgaria accept euro ( however they are not allowed in the eurozone ( too much corruption ) and greencard as well , they have to as one of the members of the EU .

fire starter

Message Posted:
22/12/2008 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

slimboyfat

bulgaria won't allow you to enter if you have trnc numberplates!

i read this somewhere in one of the news papers i think.

was your car a uk car origionally?

do you still have the main part of the log book?

do you still have the uk number plates?

its just a thought!!

good luck.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.