North Cyprus Tourist Board - Pegasus baggage allowance (beware)
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Pegasus baggage allowance (beware)

Pegasus baggage allowance (beware)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Flights to North Cyprus

» Book North Cyprus Flights Online

» Driving Directions from Ercan Airport to Kyrenia

» Read about Ercan Airport North Cyprus

stockiefan

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 46 in Discussion

Just returned from Manchester to Ercan flying with Pegasus. Weighed our baggage before hand just under 40k for two people. Checked in at Manchester not quite one kilo over. Had to pay £9. Yes I do know the limit but just warning others, they were very strict on this allowance, there was a queue at the serviceaire desk for people paying.

colly

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 09:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 46 in Discussion

What was the weight of your hand baggage? Would they not let you take a little out of the cases and put it in the hand baggage. I have to say that I do take it quite close on the cases and was 0.2 kilos under for two cases at Stansted. We do normally have a little bit of the 8kg left for hand luggage, particularly if you take out the camera, reading materials and a coat which is extra to the 8kg.

philbailey

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 09:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 46 in Discussion

Why do fat people get the same allowance ?

stockiefan

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 09:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 46 in Discussion

In fairness, they did allow us to remove stuff from one case but the other which was just over had already gone! Yes, the hand luggage allowance is 8k. The point I was making is that even one kilo over and you will be charged.

hawkeye

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 46 in Discussion

Why should fat people have moe allowance?...Why shouldnt thin peole have more? Or maybe the airlines should start weighing people? (and charge accordingly.......

aripointer

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 09:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 46 in Discussion

I think it has something to do with Serviceair staff at check in.

When checking in with Aegean Airlines at Heathrow I was hit with an £86 excess baggage charge

I was told by the Aegean manager it was not the airline setting the rules but Serviceair.

I suppose Serviceair are responsible for the load levels of the aircraft.

The galling part was the aircraft was not full of passengers.

BA are the best £43 for an extra suitcase of 20kg

AP

gooligan

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 09:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 46 in Discussion

Stockifan,I was on the same flight and only checked in 17kg,funnily enough they didn't offer me a rebate

wanderer

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 10:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 46 in Discussion

No doubt they get a cut of the action as a business fees earned etc

Also a panorama last year found that the scales at the airports are not accurate /calibrated accurately

Also flybe measuring cages for hand luggage were shaped to not fit the given measurements i.e the ends were curved on the measuring frames so bags did not fit

mistymoppet

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 46 in Discussion

Message 6 they told you that to pass the blame, my hubby has worked in aviation all his life and at a few top airlines and I know for a fact that the airlines make huge revenue out of excess baggage.

dougskud

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 46 in Discussion

Good morning all

Well most of the above posts follow a common theme.

"Even though I was aware of the weight allowances I ignored these stats. and I feel it is totally unreasonable of the airline to apply the stated penalty excess weight charges"

Get in the real world and accept responsibity for your mistakes.

Doug

BoTanica

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 46 in Discussion

If you check out the airlines web site - you can now pay for excess in advance via credit card, its much cheaper than the regular cost at check in. I wasn't over on my last trip but the trip before worked out very expensive.

stockiefan

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 10:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 46 in Discussion

Dougskud, in an ideal world it would be nice to be Mr.Perfect like yourself! Unfortunately we all make small mistakes thats life! Usually "most" airlines allow you one or two kilos over without any hassle, I was merely pointing out that even one kilo and you have to pay. I did weigh my baggage which of course differed from the airline scales.

dougskud

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 46 in Discussion

Hi Stockiefan re message 12

You are still making excuses for your own actions, your generalised statement about "most airlines" excess weight policy is just not true, application of excess weight penalties have become almost universal as more and more airlines adopt the Ryan Air /EasyJet approach to running an airline.

regards

Doug "Mr Perfect"!!

breezyboy

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 46 in Discussion

For Info

Pegasus do not count a laptop in the allowance so you can take that out of the 8Kg and carry it.

Never been charged by Turkish but £18 for 1Kg for each of 2 cases weighed at home as slightly under 20Kg on my first and last flight with Pegasus at Easter.

Chelpet

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 46 in Discussion

Msg 6 I was only charged £28.00 for a box which was classed as and extra case and it was bigger then a suitcase and weighed 18kg with BA and no restriction with hand luggage as I brought out a small pressure washer (dont tell Beledysie) in it. but I know Pegasus do tend to stripe you up with excess.

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 46 in Discussion

better than the excess weight is monarchs new "dont pay for using credit card etc " ....now i enquired about changing the name of a passenger we are about to take in spetember .Booked flights and paid online and inadvance months ago .....no problems she says just go online ,change the name YOURSELF,re issue a new ticket and pay the £100 admin charge ....yes the fee last year was £27 to change a name and they did it ...this year its £100 if you do it on your pc ,printer etc and £120 if they do it ......and all because they have change flights from my original times and it may not suit one passenger

kav

MotorbikeKid

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 46 in Discussion

Thanks for this. After reading this post measured my luggage and realised it was over the limit! I appreciate.

rejela

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 46 in Discussion

Just a licence to print money or a very good excuse to go on the rob, whether you blame it on global warming carbon foot prints or what ever. Air travel is more expensive now that it has been for years, now they want more from us all in the form of excess baggage charges, in flight meal charges, seating charges. I recently booked a friends ticket on line, when you chose a seat the price went up. As if you can fly 2500 miles holding onto a ball on a spring, like the central line! Will these companies ever be satisfied?

I used to get a return flight to the UK a few years back for under £150. Now it is probably 3 times that.

Enough is enough.

dougskud

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 46 in Discussion

Hi rejela

Reading your message it is clear that you are not to concerned with merging fact with fiction to support your argument.

Life is easy, if the airline charges for pre booked seats you have a choice, either you choose to pay or you line up with the bulk of passengers and get your seat allocated at check in for free.

Same comment re food, you know the rules you have a choice so why bitch?

I can't remember how much it cost to fill my tank up a few years back but I remember it cost me £96.52 last weekend,

We fly out from Stansted via Pegasus at the end of August for £191 return considering the school holiday window I consider this to be excellent value.

The budget airlines have opened up the world to the average person with an average income who wishes to travel, generally speaking they provide excellent value for money, all charges are known in advance so logically the decision "to spend or not to spend" on extras rests with the YOU the Customer.

Doug

rejela

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 16:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 46 in Discussion

Hi Doug, did you or do you work for the airline industry? From what I have seen and heard over the last few years, people do not like having to pay excess baggage charges. sometime even after weighing their luggage at home they find themselves faced with excess baggage charges. Fact or fiction!

A friend who checked in at the airport who happened to be over weight was told she was not allowed to take things out of her suitcase, to put the items into her hand luggage.

Yes your flight was very reasonable but may be one day through no fault of your own, you have to buy a ticket three times the price, then you may understand where I am coming from but them I suppose you being the customer would have to decide whether "to spend or not spend".

Anyway, hope you have a pleasant flight and holiday Doug, with no extra charges!

Mind you you can't guarante that here in NC!

chico

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 16:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 46 in Discussion

In the days you didn't have a choice of airport you couldn't get a flight to Northern Cyprus for under £300 at any time of the year - so fares seem very reasonable in comparision these days.

As Doug says you make your choice - pay more and enjoy the privilege of online check in, complimentary drinks and extra luggage allowance or travel with the budget airline and pay for extras.

We are lucky to live near several airports and have a choice of scheduled and budget airlines - our choice boils down to the most cost effective at the time of booking and accept the rules for whichever airline we choose.

PS did you know that if you book with BA and pay for an extra bag online (up to 23kg) it only costs £28 - that's only £1.21 per kg?

mistymoppet

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 46 in Discussion

Airlines are a business and operating accordingly i'm afraid, They don't have a huge profit margin compared to a lot of other business despite what you might think. As poster 19 said all the extras cost money but are a choice.

Personally I would rather not fly than do the budget everything costs extra airline but that's a call I make and I pay much more for my flights accordingly.

rejela

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 16:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 46 in Discussion

Generally people try to keep their luggage within the limits, I have seen the BA prices, someone posted them on the forum recently. Unfortunately they do not yet fly to the NORTH and like you I tend to use the local airport.

The main point I was making in my first post was that the airlines are try to up the price by adding lots of extra charges to what was before included, i.e. a seat, a meal. I always thought that those were really necessary for a 5 or 6 hour flight. That not being enough they charges are very high, don't get me wrong

they have to make profit but 2 euros for a chocolate biscuit, 1 euro should have been fair.

mistymoppet

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 46 in Discussion

Again mesg 23 No one makes you pay these extra charges it's a choice.

If you don't want to pay extra for drinks or food fly on better airlines where everything is included or take stuff with you from the airport. if you don't want to pay extra baggage don't pack so much stuff and make sure you are under on your scales at home.

If you where selling something and could get £20 or £10 pounds for it what would you do?

Agobard

Message Posted:
04/08/2011 17:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 46 in Discussion

It's reports like this from the world of so called 'cheap airlines' that ensure that I travel TRNC/UK with Turkish Airlines. Every time I return from UK, my baggage is always overweight - last time by 12 kilos - but they have never charged me extra. I could get a cheaper fare with one of the Monarch/Easyjet/Ryanair mob but, by the time I had paid all their excesses, it would be dearer than Turkish. You pay your money and you make your choices with this kind of thing.

wattys

Message Posted:
05/08/2011 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 46 in Discussion

Two of us travelled to Larnaca with Monarch in May, at the check in we were told that one of our cases was 1.5 kgs over the 20 kg limit so we took two books out of the case and put them in the hand luggage, crazy or what, no the crazy thing was a women behind us at the check in desk was heavier than both of us put together and when we got seated a women next to me took her seat and half mine

she must have been over 25 stone. So why o why do the check in staff have to be so pedantic is it just to raise revenue ?

I am not having a knock at people who are overweight but stating a fact.

dougskud

Message Posted:
05/08/2011 13:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 46 in Discussion

Hi Wattys

Of course you are being critical of larger framed people or more specifically fat women.

I am a 24st body builder with not an ounce of surplus fat, I wonder if you would make the same comment to me if I sat next to you!

Doug

wattys

Message Posted:
05/08/2011 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 46 in Discussion

Msg 26

I would make the comment to your face not sat next to you so don't try to intimidate me, i aint bothered if your 40 stone get a life.

The point i was making is that why should i take a couple of books out of my case when a LARGER FRAMED person was getting on the same plane and probably 10 stone heavier than the average person, thats being pedantic by the counter staff.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
05/08/2011 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 46 in Discussion

It isn't all bad.

Once when joining a flight in Atlanta I was given a seat between 2 enormous american women. It was a physical impossibility to get into the seat.

All came good as they showed me to a business class seat and forced champagne into my hand!

dougskud

Message Posted:
05/08/2011 16:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 46 in Discussion

Hi Wattys

Unfortunately you are truly missing the point, the counter staff are merely following instructions and while the point you are making is logical it is pointless raising it on an open forum like this.

Why not tackle the CEO of the airline with any luck he/she may not be 40 stone!!!

Doug

quackers

Message Posted:
05/08/2011 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 46 in Discussion

Manchester are strict for some reason went on hol with air france (say no more) was just under weight - had supersized pockets in my jacket (carried 8kgs in them)- poor guy next to me going to Thailand with sports gear 8kgs overweight gave him a £200 sending off excess yes £200 and that was a year or so ago. My suggestions to anyone flying from Manchester - have BIG EMPTY pockets in your biggest overcoat you can put on your back - Airports abroad abroad are not bad.

CJtill

Message Posted:
05/08/2011 18:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 46 in Discussion

Its good to see the budget airlines charging for every little extra thus keeping the actual flight price as low as possible, and anyone with half a brain knows that you should pay for any excess baggage....simple.

As for charging individuals according to their body weight.....this could be another killing for the uman rights lawyers.

Michael

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
05/08/2011 19:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 46 in Discussion

dougskud,

The counter staff DO have to make the decision that a person is too large to occupy a single seat.

A friend of my son's, who incidently was a runner up in the 'World's Strongest Man' competition always has to buy an extra seat. I pity the poor supervisor who is always called to tell him, though sometimes if the flight isn't full they upgrade him free to first class!!!

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
05/08/2011 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 46 in Discussion

We had a 10kg excess with Pegasus recently and was charged £180 at Ercan. :(

Another time we were over about 12kgs and were not charged anything! Doesn't make sense.

mikea11

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 09:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 46 in Discussion

When we returned to UK last year to live we had four extra bags (80kg) was told by the Atlas office in Girne would cost about £100, checkin at Ercan wanted to charge us £800 eventually we ended up paying £300.In hindsight I would of shipped it back with the rest of our stuff, that only cost £750 for 25 boxes! Live and learn.

mistymoppet

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 09:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 46 in Discussion

If I lost half my seat to someone because they where overweight I most certainly would say something. Why should I suffer because of it?

sienna

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 46 in Discussion

Isn't this a case of you know your baggage allowance but are expecting more at no cost- your allowance is your allowance if you take more then you have to pay !! get used to that idea then you wil not have a surpise or shock at the counter Airlines are business if we want to continue to have choice they have to make money like every other retail outlet.

If you dont want to pay the prices for items drinks food etc be prepared and take you own simples

stockiefan

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 46 in Discussion

It really amuses me the replies on here. All those who always stick to the rules, never go overweight, abide by the system, real goody two shoes!! With the benefit of hindsight (a great thing) we all know we should not be overweight, but most people will pack "close to the mark". Well good luck if you are under and don't pay, fantastic.

I just love the know it all "keyboard warriors" who come on here telling others how they should behave.

My original post was just to warn people than even one kilo will set you back, and just be aware to save any hassle at check in.

There you go rant over

stockiefan

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 10:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 46 in Discussion

Ps: fat people should be charged double, get over it, loose some weight. We thin people are paying for excess flab!!

CJtill

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 10:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 46 in Discussion

Msg39 and others

The first airline that tries to implement that policy will spend shed loads of time (and money) trying to defend their decision in Court.

They will lose the case on a number of accounts..... they know it and their legal advisers know it.... so it wont happen, full stop.

Michael

mistymoppet

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 46 in Discussion

Message 40. This is true but it doesn't make it right. People need to take responsibility for themselves.

Treating people who are overweight like they have a disability is just give them an excuse to continue that way. It isn't a disability it's choice.

dougskud

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 46 in Discussion

hi stockiefan

It's good to see you taking a more balanced view and descriminating against all fat people rather than just women.

Hopefully your message 39 will truly be the last of your distasteful outbursts

Doug

sienna

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 46 in Discussion

message 38 far from a goodie twoshoes or a keyboard warrior - actually my cases are nearly alaways over and in fact took 100kg through BA with only three travelling - surprised as anyone not to have to pay extra maybe it is the way you talk to them on the check-in. That said and here is the dfference of what I was saying is I went expecting to pay ! because I knew I was over

We have also taken many outsized packages on Pegasus with no bother maybe look at the person checking in ! beanbags: crockery: pillows bedding: quilts: dvd players: cd Players: the lot have come with us overtime so not really a goodie two shoes

glad you feel better after you rant perhaps your rant is why you pay LOL

stockiefan

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 46 in Discussion

Hey Dougskud, "if the cap fits"? Oh, I forgot, you are a body builder without one ounce of fat, yeh right.

simbas

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 46 in Discussion

Be a little more sensitive , overweight or underweight , people don't always have a choice { FACT }

Simbas

britvic

Message Posted:
06/08/2011 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 46 in Discussion

The 'Fat tax' issue has already been discussed on this forum when Ryanair were thinking of introducing it. Notice how everyone is polite on this thread:

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/14288.asp

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.