North Cyprus Tourist Board - Television - Help Needed for UK TV
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Television - Help Needed for UK TV

Television - Help Needed for UK TV

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

shel56

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Hi

We just bought a Sony Blue Ray player with iplayer and want to use it to watch UK TV. Can anyone advise on how we do this please. We have 1mb of internet and we have a new tv bought here that is wireless.

Any advice please email travelbugs22@aol.co.uk

erolz

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

The BBC restricts iplayer content to people who's internet connection appear to be comming from within the UK. If your internet connection appears to come from outside the UK they will block access to iplayer.

On a computer there are ways to make your internet connection look like it is comming from the UK even when physicaly you are not in the UK by setting up what is called a VPN (virtual private network). However you can not set this up on a blue ray player directly.

Also a couple of internet providers are offering systems where by they, rather than you, make your internet connection look like it is in the UK as far as the BBC is concerned. These are Nethouse Networks and Multimax. If you use these providers and in case of Nethouse have request they 'turn on' this feature for you, you should be able to use the blue ray player to connect to BBC iplayer.

If you do not have these provders then you could still make it work, if you have a computer with two ethernet ports on it.

erolz

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

[cont] though it is a less than idea solutiuon. It would require that the blue ray player be connected to one ethernet port on the computer and the internet connection to another. You would have to have the computer on, and set up to use a VPN service.

scruff

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

msg 2

Erol. The link on the Nethouse website about the their VPN, no longer works & I'm not sure that they now offer a VPN service for their customers. I got the impression from posters on this forum on a couple of threads about this, that the VPN stopped working sometime ago.

http://www.nethouse.net/index.asp?page=169#

Select 'Bireysel'. Drop down menu appears & the last item is 'UK. VPN account'. This tab doesn't work now.

philnles

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Sky is the only way to go. There is a 4.2 dish for sale in for sale section. We have been here 4 years, tried various tv systems, we now have sky and no problems.

erolz

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

scruff thanks for the update about Nethouse. In my personal opinion they have never been very clear about this service and indeed about the actual differences between their eco and standard packet services. It would I think be helpful is someone from nethouse or one of their agents could actual provide definative information on both of these aspects of their service, but thats just my personal opinion.

With a multimax connection I use the bbc iplayer functionality within my TV (similar to the original posters wanting to use it with their blu ray player), with the TV simply plugged into the multimax connection and it generaly works well enough for me. It is not 100%, no internet streaming TV service ever will be, but it is good enough most of the time. I do however have a 10mbs service from them.

wanderer

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Nethouse VPN works fine ring up or go into their office and they put you on it no need to sign into the vpn

scruff

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Erol

Couldn't agree more with you about Nethouse not being clear about exactly what their 'eco' package is all about.

I cannot read their site in Turkish, but as far as I can ascertain, there is nothing on their website to clarify the difference between it & the standart package, other than price. It seems they must have something to hide in not being transparent.

Can you read anything in Turkish that helps you to understand the difference or is your Turkish not up to this ?

When I signed up to their eco package in July, I did not realise it was an eco package because I used an agent (who also failed to mention this) & I thought this was a special offer. Pay 12 mths & get 15. It was only when I visited their website after others mentioned the eco package downsides, that I first realised that all was not as it seemed.

Unfortunately the Multimax trial offer was just starting then & I had already commited to Nethouse.

ctd.

scruff

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

ctd.

Nethouse will not get any more repeat business from me when my subscription runs out next year.

I also notice that member Nethouse is very much invisible on this forum these days. I wonder why ?

I am totally sick of telephoning ISPs here about their services. They get you signed up, take your money & then the service, initially good, goes tits up. The entire Internet issue in North Cyprus makes me very weary.

For my other issues with them, please see the other thread about Nethouse that's currently running on the forum. http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/76864.asp

Hector

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 19:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

As a frequent visitor rather than resident, I read on the forum that I could have Multimax internet and freeze the subscription when not here. Is that right? How much does it cost to set up? Thanks

Would I get a better service/connection speed over the Turkcell dongle I use currently?

kbasat

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Multimax costs 50tl activation to install in addition to the monthly fee, you can freeze your account when you are away.

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/72546.asp

We have extended hours on call center, multiple mobile telephone numbers we give away to customers, online chat support on the website ( http://www.mmcyp.com ) and prompt email support, so we are always reachable.

Kemal

hawkeye

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 20:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

try downloading expat sheild............this then allows access to UKtv..............we used it for almost 18 months......Sue

tarry67

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

My Private Network is also very good and costs only £5pm through paypal, and has never let me down and its secure.

erolz

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

The problem with expat shield or my private network, or indeed any PC based VPN product, as far as the orginal posters questions goes it that they will not allow the use of BBC iPlayer functionality built into a sony Blue Ray player, with that player connected to the internet directly and seperately from any PC's connected.

If you want to use an internet enabled TV, or blue ray player, built in BBC iplayers fuctionality, in the way it would work if you were in the UK and without having to route it through a PC, that itself has two ethernet ports and run the VPN connection each time you use it, then you need an internet provider that does the 'VPN' side of things transparently. That means multimax or possibly nethouse networks, if they are still offering that facility to their customers.

shel56

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Thanks for all your advice and help. We were told when we bought the player that iplayer had gone worldwide and we would be able to pick up tv anywhere! We also don't have a provider that can help us with a vpn at the moment will now wait until we can change over to multimax next year.

Sky would be great but we don't have space for a 4.2m dish in our garden having said that when I watch sky back in the UK it is full of repeats!

Once again thanks for everyone's imput on this.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.